Music You've Rediscovered Lately

2»

Comments

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Silverchair's Far Behind

Rumors

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    Then Feirrene & tiecher - the one with the 2 pianos on the cover, track on is exodus. So xD

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    asstro said:
    willie_fugal said:
    i've been watching a lot of youtube vids of Jamiroquai live in the mid-90s! that band was so in the pocket???the silly jamiroquai hats have aged, but i don't think the music has:

got started down that rabbit hole b/c i was listening to the "lost" Stuart Zender (OG jamiroquai bass player, and driving force?) album, which is also up on youtube (and killer):

Must be something in the air, because I've been listening to some old live boots of Jamiroquai as well. Back in 94-95 they were a hell of a band, fuck the critics. Zender still slays me.

normally even i'd be put off by that much slap bass, but yeah???zender slays.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I just remembered my Divshare account last week, which captured an interesting moment in time about four years ago. Just an eclectic hodgepodge of songs, many of which I had lost the MP3s for after a computer crash. Everything from Ronnie Milsap to the Meters.

• This is one of those albums that fell by the wayside after HEAVY burn in the early 00s. Double bonus of being a dope album and flashing back some wild episodes.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ppadilha said:

The Doors though, that's one band I've never felt the urge to revisit. I question the maturity of anyone over 16 who listens to them.

I don't know. I don't sit and listen to entire albums but if you can block out some of the more ostentatious aspects of Morrison's persona they had a good sound - the maturity/cringe factor is only the memories of how seriously I took them/that type of music/my own rebelliousness at the time I discovered them. Now I've dropped some of my earnestness & music militancy I can still appreciate the good jams in their catalogue for what they are. It's good drinking music and I had a great time listening to this when I was younger.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Been revisiting the 80s sophistipop canon (rekindled lost love-R) and realising its the last Golden Age.

Hue And Cry
    Love And Money
    ABC

And above all, some of the shining pop moments of perfection:
    Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride
    Nik Kershaw - Wouldnt It Be Good
    Maxi Priest - Strollin On
    Strawberry Switchblade - Since Yesterday

Sounds so good right now.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Soul perfection, currently the number one on my wantlist:

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Pre-Spontaneity, K-Otix demo tapes. So good!

I've always liked K-Otix. Spontaneity stays in rotation. Where can i hear the demos?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The Fuzz's self-titled. It was near the front of a stack leaning against the washing machine, of all places, so I decided to give it a listen. The arrangements put me in that dream mood. As someone commented about this, "When its time for me to go and God calls me home...as??? my soul lifts that distance I want to hear this song closing out my life". Brand Nubian looped their only hit song, "...Seasons", too.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Hyped to announce I just found out about The Kinks. Not even a "re-" discovery.

Love it all. Amazing. New Top One Band Of All Times. I had no idea.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    Re-discovering the works of King Crimson after many years away from them, particularly their first two albums, "Larks' Tongues in Aspic", and "Red".

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

Everyone's faces just melted

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    skel said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

Everyone's faces just melted

haha look
    I grew up with 60s california sax jazzdad. Metal brother. When I was free to make my own music choices it was EPMD. My musical journey has been pretty basic white burbanite, which makes this development so great.

Kinks:
    I knew girl brr brrrr to be with you, alla da time brrr brrr ba babababrrr was crazy rock'n'rollers physically chopped their amps up for that sound
    I knew Lola was cool. I knew it was funny.
    And I guess that's it.
    "Come Dancing." I'd heard it. Didn't know that was the same band.

I absolutely knew they were in the Best Rock'n'Roll Band Discussion, but my last attempt at catching up with experts was The Rolling Stones--and that was a disaster. Rolling Stones just don't do it for me. I swear. I tried all the ones my dusty guitar friends recommended, and I just don't get it. Rolling Stones seem like KISS to me: had to be there, and Do Not Actually Rock.

So I was just not interested in The Kinks.

Friend was talking last month about how heavy he currently was into the Kinks, and gave me a greatest hits collection. I put it on, and ended up calling him after every song: "dude, that's the Kinks too? Good song! I knew that one!"

It's SO RAD, I'm not even going to try and act cool about it. There's really no explanation for not having heard more, but it's been absolutely mind-blowing to experience all their albums like they just came out.

Amazing to know there's still shit out there. I love it. It's been like devouring every episode of a great teevee show on Netflix, or finally getting around to checking out a great author.

Imagine, you motherfucking know-it-all jaded assholes! IMAGINE IT! Discovering The Kinks' catalog for the first time in your (um) thirties!

Some more 2013 Rip Van Winkle discoveries:
    synthetic puffy hoodies
    Miami Vice
    marijuana cookies

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    The Kinks AND Marijuana Cookies???

it's like you're on some kind of spiritual journey. Have you checked out beer yet?

I'm the same way about The Stones. Never did it for me, I always feel like I'm listening to the pop version of someone else's music.

I enjoy The Kinks, but haven't given them the required attention tbh. Check out The Red Krayola too, they're not as good but are in the same vein.

What about Donovan? No one's on a Donovan rediscovery trip?

• PattrickPattrick 57 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

It's SO RAD, I'm not even going to try and act cool about it. There's really no explanation for not having heard more, but it's been absolutely mind-blowing to experience all their albums like they just came out.
    Amazing to know there's still shit out there. I love it. It's been like devouring every episode of a great teevee show on Netflix, or finally getting around to checking out a great author.

Brilliant and cool post. Really refreshing to read. I was in this situation with High Llamas lps about ten years ago, Richard Harris lps about 5 years ago.

It doesn't matter how out of time you are with appreciating stuff. Good stuff is good stuff, end of.

Someone (on Waxi or here?) was talking recently about their nephew who was discovering Dylan and Rodriguez at the same time.
    Jake Bugg was talking about only ever haviing heard one Dylan lp and how he needed to hear more.
    The very young Michael Kiwanuka stated in an interview that the biggest influence on his music was the free Mojo magazine CD called Soul Riot. It was the first time he'd heard Sly Stone etc...

No bullshit from any of them about years of crate -digging / hours of late night needle dropping....

I've meandered.

As you were.

• PattrickPattrick 57 Posts
    I'm writing an article on the Roots of the 90s Easy Listening Scene. Basically tracing what lead to the early / mid-90s explosion of EZ listening pre- Blow-Up / Smashing / Indigo's / The Sound Gallery / Bacharach worship....

As a result I'm just re-discovering a whole bunch of 80s Easy Listening songs, and by that I mean artists who were dipping their toes into lite-bossa, EZ flavours in the 80s when it wasn't considered so cool to be 'lounge' for want of a better term. Got some good suggestions from VG+ and good thoughts about how Easy Listening was actually a very post-Punk thing.

Loving stuff like:

The Style Council - Paris Match
    Everything But The Girl - Each and Everyone (chooon)
    Ben Watt - This Boy (from Pillows and Prayers)
    Madness - Los Palmas Seven
    Mari Wilson - obvious...cos she reeked retro lounge but brilliant to hear Just What I Always Wanted again.
    Carmel - (obvious again..she reeked etc...)
    The Pale Fountains - they aspired to Bacharachadom at least
    Sunset Gun - B-side to Be Thankful For What You've Got (Can't Hide My View?) don't have it handy but
    Weekend - Room With a View
    and various
    Sade
    George Michael (Cowboys)

Refreshing naivete to some of it. Borders on twee I know but a real ear-rinser.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I enjoy The Kinks, but haven't given them the required attention tbh. Check out The Red Krayola too, they're not as good but are in the same vein.

I like both of these bands, but really can't hear any similarity between them.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    If some of my friends knew how old I was when I heard Forever Changes end-to-end for the first time, I'd never be able to go back to Liverpool again.

• Didn't realise you were a Mickey Doc.

Dukeofdelridge, I couldn't estimate how many hours I've spent listening to Kinks but don't feel they ever did themselves justice with any of their albums, Village Green and Arthur probably coming the closest. I hope you feel differently, I'm a massive fan of Ray Davies' songwriting style.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Pattrick said:
    I'm writing an article on the Roots of the 90s Easy Listening Scene. Basically tracing what lead to the early / mid-90s explosion of EZ listening pre- Blow-Up / Smashing / Indigo's / The Sound Gallery / Bacharach worship....

As a result I'm just re-discovering a whole bunch of 80s Easy Listening songs, and by that I mean artists who were dipping their toes into lite-bossa, EZ flavours in the 80s when it wasn't considered so cool to be 'lounge' for want of a better term. Got some good suggestions from VG+ and good thoughts about how Easy Listening was actually a very post-Punk thing.

Loving stuff like:

The Style Council - Paris Match
    Everything But The Girl - Each and Everyone (chooon)
    Ben Watt - This Boy (from Pillows and Prayers)
    Madness - Los Palmas Seven
    Mari Wilson - obvious...cos she reeked retro lounge but brilliant to hear Just What I Always Wanted again.
    Carmel - (obvious again..she reeked etc...)
    The Pale Fountains - they aspired to Bacharachadom at least
    Sunset Gun - B-side to Be Thankful For What You've Got (Can't Hide My View?) don't have it handy but
    Weekend - Room With a View
    and various
    Sade
    George Michael (Cowboys)

Refreshing naivete to some of it. Borders on twee I know but a real ear-rinser.

Quite a lot of the stuff you list also has a strong connection to the early 80s jazz-dance scene that developed out of clubs like the Berlin in Manchester and the Electric Ballroom in London, and which eventually mutated into acid-jazz. EBTG/Ben Watt were obviously massively influenced by Jobim, Joao Gilberto etc., as was the Style Council's Cafe Bleu album. The Pale Fountains were at least as inspired by Love as they were Bacharach & David, although much more explicitly so in Mick Head's post-Paleys band Shack.

There was a pronounced fauxtown/blue-eyed-soul streak running through a lot of British pop music from the same period as well. I tend to think of it as a reaction to the predominance of synths, sequencers and drum machines via acts like Soft Cell, the Human League and so on - other acts would try to invoke the supposedly purer musical values of Motown, Muscle Shoals and the Brill Building as a way of setting themselves apart from acts who leant heavily on electronics. Proof that people were having the authenticity argument a good thirty years ago, and probably before that too. As for the post-punk aspect, there's definitely something in the notion that, in the UK at least, it partly arose from punk-rock kids digging through their parents record collections and taking cues from all the Sergio Mendes/Herb Alpert/Dionne Warwick stuff they were finding there.

Also, much as people like Martin Green can take particular credit for the whole co-ordination and marketing of that E-Z revival, perhaps less frequently spoken of is the part played by Gerald Jazzman, Jonny Trunk & his original cohorts, DJ Regal of the Wiseguys and all the other early-90s Camden Market record dealers who were amongst the first to find the value in so many of the MOR/library records that scene popularised. Johnny & the o.g. Trunk boys in particular were probably the first to bring the Bosworth stuff to wider attention. I'm sure there are people who'd debate this, though.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

what does my new found enjoyment of this album say about me?
    Never dug it before, now i kinda like it.

• is it too early to "rediscover" this?

i had it on the shelf for a few years and ended up playing it out the last two or three days or so.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

what does my new found enjoyment of this album say about me?
    Never dug it before, now i kinda like it.

Then check the live version with an all star line up:

WHY don't they do shit like this on TV anymore?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    wyzewayz said:

may seem obvious, but at first, I always gravitated to the first lp and played it out for years, this one, which I finally got on LP from another strutter recentlyl, to me, is superior and just slammin all the way through------

Also, I recently pulled this out after it seems like a decade... forgot how nice the flows and beats are... great content too....

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:

I like both of these bands, but really can't hear any similarity between them.

I guess I thinking of the more song-y stuff from Red Krayola. In my mindgarden I always bunch the 60s psych type stuff together, but those two bands are at very opposite ends of that spectrum

• Lauryn Hill...specifically "Ex-Factor." Even though when Miseducation dropped my tastes were not so much inclined towards R&B/Soul/etc..., I can still remember "That Thing" being played heavily for awhile and the cool video for "Everything Is Everything," and occasionally her "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You," but I was completely unaware of this tune.

Back in January I was driving to DC for work, and I tuned into a Baltimore station in the middle of this song and I'm thinking, man this is KILLER, who IS this?...then the voice comes in and, man that sounds familiar, is that Lauryn Hill? This couldn't be new, right? Blown away to later find out it's 15 years old. Made me check out the whole album and I was sorry I slept on it all this time.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

perhaps less frequently spoken of is the part played by Gerald Jazzman, Jonny Trunk & his original cohorts, DJ Regal of the Wiseguys and all the other early-90s Camden Market record dealers who were amongst the first to find the value in so many of the MOR/library records that scene popularised.

Mmmm, the lazy trumpet is making sense now