caverndiscos pt.2

124»

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    it's really none of my business but Spelunk if you are reporting the sales how does that work? say it's 50k but you do consignment it's not really all YOUR income

is there like a special form for that?

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    Did any strutteurs actually win anything. I got one thing. Not that expensive either.

7 wins. not big ticket but all of them at a better price than I would have paid elsewhere. I think some things got overlooked in the excitement over some of the bigger ticket items. that and my collection is still in the growing stage so I may not have had a lot of things the rest of you have had for awhile

• LapurLapur 60 Posts
    The 35 "cheapo" records I had been watching went for an average of $110, ranging from a $10.50 Baya jazz LP to $219 for Bill Mason. I'd be surprised if this auction generated under $50k.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    GROSS TOTAL: $46,901.75

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    GROSS TOTAL: $46,901.75

UNDERACHIEVING!

What's nuts is that 1/5th of that was based on just the top two LPs alone.

In regards to the taxation: it's not that complicated because his ledger would keep track of what profit he's keeping for himself and what he's paying out to his consignee (who in turn, would be required to report that income). It's pretty straightforward (even if the paperwork, I'm sure, is a pain in the ass).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's scary is that this was just a culling of jazz funk stuff. Imagine if/when the soul/funk crates get purged.

:face_melt:

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Ha... I was gonna say where's Rey to calculate the grand total. Cot damn!

I got one 45... grossly overpaid, but it's perfect for a mix I'm working on right now :shit_yeah:

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    What's scary is that this was just a culling of jazz funk stuff. Imagine if/when the soul/funk crates get purged.

:face_melt:

Please purge soul and funk.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I won a WIllis Jackson for $10, paid via paypal, and got an email half an hour later saying it had been shipped!

spelunk is a PRO

• per0per0 153 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    That "Panama" 45 by Roy Porter is an early (and MUCH harder version) of the best track from the LP. Shit is rare as all hell here in LA. Roy had no real distribution on these at the time and was kind of a wreck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roy-Porter-Sound-Machine-Panama-Funk-45-Chelan-OG-HEAR-/120719404417?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item1c1b6fed81

DMN SN!

I may be mistaken, but I'm positive that Idem from Oz had one of these on teh bay not too long ago...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Lapur said:

Ray and His Court - $1,075

Somebody tell me that wasn't the LP with Cookie Crumbs on it.

Traded-a-few-years-back-for-a-tenth-of-that-R.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Stuff like Roy Porter 7", Nathan Davis If album, and one could argue even Verocai sold for double what they would normally sell for!!!

People just got caught up in the frenzy of a mega sale of rare shit I guess. Well presented and put together sale though, always helps raise the price to top dollar.
    Maybe I need to out all my records and retire to Spain, or the South Of France in the next few years....LOL!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    utters said:
    I won a WIllis Jackson for $10, paid via paypal, and got an email half an hour later saying it had been shipped!

spelunk is a PRO

love the drum break on that record!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    Lapur said:
    pcmr said:

how much did puff,funkenstein,rayhiscourt and verocai end at exactly

Verocai - $5,100
    Funkenstein - $4,060
    Captain Puff - $1,575
    Ray and His Court - $1,075
    ---

Also:
    Roy Porter Panama 7" - $622
    Reflection in The Sea of Nurnen - $547

Many records on the $50 - $100 path that I still think are bargains. That Larry Douglas Alltet for starters...that will be a $300 record in the upcoming years. Carlos Garnett still quiet...I can't decide between watching these auctions or the Chicago game :D

Havent listened to that larry douglas for ages but i remember thinking it was pretty tacky jazz funk, what makes this so special? That rare?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I wonder if Mr. Africa can estimate what he might have paid for all the records in the purge BITD?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Are Canadian Vertigo pressings less desirable? Solar Plexus went for less than I expected.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Some things went for less than expected for sure.

The Roy porter (amongst other things) was mine, and I expected 600-700$ for it. That's what it's sold for in the past.

B/W have more copies for sale. $650 a piece. HOLLER!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    He sold every item listed which is amazing.

The Willis Jackson might have gone for more if he had mentioned that it was Harlem Underground.

• Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i know right.....its like watching the nba draft but so much better.
    get that dough gentlemen!!!

Thanks, T**y!

I watched about half of the auctions end and it felt like the first day of March Madness would if every game was staggered to end two minutes apart and likely to include a ridiculous buzzer beater. Big shout to snipers for keeping it interesting.

• Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    I wonder if Mr. Africa can estimate what he might have paid for all the records in the purge BITD?

I think I'm going to have to figure that out, as well as how to document it, for tax purposes.

I don't regularly sell records and I owned everything for at least five years, so my instinct is that the proceeds from the sale should be treated as capital gains rather than ordinary income. Unfortunately, for most of the records I don't think I have any records to support what I paid for them or when.

Anybody deal with this situation before?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It might not matter what you paid - especially if there's no paper trail. Get an appraisal done based on title/condition and anything over that treat as capital gains.*

*I reserve the right to be totally wrong about this.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    It absolutely matters what he paid. All an appraisal will tell you is what they are worth now..which is likely pretty close to what they sold for! Not useful for income purposes.

Although the lack of paper trail is problematic. You're probably just as well off to use your best guess about what you paid for them. I am not familiar enough with US tax law to say what qualifies as a capital gain, but it sounds like that may be an option as far as how to characterize the profits.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    So after ebay/paypal fees and commission you looking at something like 30k? those are some real world moves right there. congrats.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    That may very well be the Nathan Davis If Lp I found in a free bin at Waterloo Records here in Austin. I can't remember what I sold it to the seller for, but it wasn't $600+, that's for sure. Way to flip it like that!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    It absolutely matters what he paid. All an appraisal will tell you is what they are worth now..which is likely pretty close to what they sold for! Not useful for income purposes.

Right - but knowing Matthew, some of these might well have been purchased for $3 in 1994 or some such. Whereas if he could have it appraised at, say, $150 - and it sold for $228 - that's much less liability.

Edit: I'm not sure how the time element figures into this. I know I can't write off last year's purchases as this year's, even if I only got around to selling them this year, but my situation is obviously different.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

Right - but knowing Matthew, some of these might well have been purchased for $3 in 1994 or some such. Whereas if he could have it appraised at, say, $150 - and it sold for $228 - that's much less liability.

Edit: I'm not sure how the time element figures into this. I know I can't write off last year's purchases as this year's, even if I only got around to selling them this year, but my situation is obviously different.

I think the reason for that is that the money you paid for them will have already been reflected on last year's filing in your case, but Matt will never have previously reported these purchases as an expenditure. I think capital gains is the right treatment but, as has been pointed out, the lack of documentation is a problem.

• LapurLapur 60 Posts
    Just have the cost of listing fees, commission, and that 18th century diamond encrusted treasure box you used for shipping Verocai offset any gains. Taxable ebay income = $0. I can also get you a legit invoice showing you paid $50,000 for that NBA jam record in 1998. It's my invoice, but I'll give it to you since I don't plan on letting go of my copy.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    musica said:
    behemoth said:

i'd rather have that than the record.

I'll take both, please!

Shihhtt, thinking bout how wierd it would be...foolin around with her while playing his record..
    woooot!

it would be weirder for her though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Wow, this thread took a turn for the terrible

You creeps have reminded of why I stopped checking for this board

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    the_dL said:
    utters said:

spelunk is a PRO

love the drum break on that record!

Weird that 'ain't no sunshine' wasn't one of the audio clips on the auction...

i'd like to be able to post the 'real heads know the deal' gif here but... I don't think it even applies.

Shit is COMMON KNOWLEDGE