caverndiscos pt.2

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    TDLT02 said:
    Duderonomy said:
    I wish somebody with a clean copy of the Verocai would organise a legit re-ish.

I was always under the impression that the Luv N' Haight reissue was legit!.
    The common complaint is that the sound quality of that reissue was poor.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    When Ferrari/FourtyFivan posted mp3s of his OG copy, there was stereo phasing heard that was not in the reissue, among other sound defects found in the reissue.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    TDLT02 said:
    Duderonomy said:
    I wish somebody with a clean copy of the Verocai would organise a legit re-ish.

Would there be any point in making a new reissue from a vinyl copy once again

Using the folks I work with, I could have made this sound way better.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Instant Wall of Fame.

The soundclips have certainly been enriching my work day.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    great background moleque

man, i dont know how well it transfers into print or video, but its interesting thinking about the wildwest days of record hunting. i guess there are always folks who seek out the frontiers where the international market hasnt quite caught up to yet. the record collector in me starts drooling at the unchecked shelves of 45s in the midwest and south or on late 80s street markets in brazil, nigeria or wherever. makes me nostalgic for my early digging days when everything seemed so new.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i feel you,
    my homeland senegal would have been incredible in the early 90's it's been picked clean since
    but i do know a ethnomusicologist who has put out 2 lps and is buying out old musician friends collections in order to build a museum..can't wait to check that out!

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    90s were gold in Brazil...
    A lot of the radio staions were clearing out their vinyl and converting to CDs. All the rare records, and in many cases in good condition. Back in those days there were perticular records that were still only known to a handful of people in the know, or people that had actually visited Brazil on digging trips.
    So many beautiful records that you'd never seen or heard of before, there right in front of your eye's. There was not a lot of locals guys at the time who were bothering to buy this stuff, most young guys around the markets were into buying rock (Brazilian, American & British).

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    The soundclips have certainly been enriching my last 3 work days.

:beerbang:

• molequemoleque 3 Posts
    The other thing with the stations is that they received records only for radio play and not commercial release on a physical media. Many killer psych and funk 45??s out there which need a reissue.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    moleque said:
    The other thing with the stations is that they received records only for radio play and not commercial release on a physical media. Many killer psych and funk 45??s out there which need a reissue.

Good lord. The very idea....

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    I know this is small potatoes, but I really want the Charles Rouse "Two Is One". Really digging the digital at this moment.

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    I know this is small potatoes, but I really want the Charles Rouse "Two Is One". Really digging the digital at this moment but want the vinyl

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My podcast interview with Matthew Africa about his decision to purge from his collection: http://wp.me/p1klrs-Ch

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    just saw the verocai on eBay

:face_melt:

was going to post about it but did a search...

great thread... much knowledge being dropped about the verocai that I was unaware of

I still believe one day i'm going to find a verocai in the field and pay 5 reais for it... sigh...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    My podcast interview with Matthew Africa about his decision to purge from his collection: http://wp.me/p1klrs-Ch

nice listen. i was hoping you'd ask him about his decision to purge the Verocai. for me personally that's one i could never let go of.

• Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
    maru said:
    mannybolone said:

nice listen. i was hoping you'd ask him about his decision to purge the Verocai. for me personally that's one i could never let go of.

Maru, it's a fantastic album, one I probably revisit as frequently as any other record I own.

It's not something I was eager to part with but I believed I would get more value from selling it than I would gripping it. Someone is going to pay a lot for the record at auction and its marquee value is driving a lot of traffic to the other items that Cavern is selling for me. I think it will add up.

Moreover, as nice as that copy is, I was honestly a little shook to pull it off the shelf regularly and risk messing it up so it's not like I got a lot of active enjoyment out of owning a minty original.

I'll continue to enjoy the music and let someone else enjoy the collectible.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    A turd in the diaper is worth 2LP in the hand.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Two turds are better then one.

But that Verocai... and you even managed to keep the shrink on it and never crack the gatefold, your a better man then I.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    maru said:
    mannybolone said:

Maru, it's a fantastic album, one I probably revisit as frequently as any other record I own.

It's not something I was eager to part with but I believed I would get more value from selling it than I would gripping it. Someone is going to pay a lot for the record at auction and its marquee value is driving a lot of traffic to the other items that Cavern is selling for me. I think it will add up.

Moreover, as nice as that copy is, I was honestly a little shook to pull it off the shelf regularly and risk messing it up so it's not like I got a lot of active enjoyment out of owning a minty original.

I'll continue to enjoy the music and let someone else enjoy the collectible.

good points, and i'm not calling you crazy by any means. i just know that i could never sell my copy, but maybe that'll change as time goes on.

ummm, Matthew, whats going on in your avatar?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    its a unicorn shitting raers, urybody knows that!

i didnt know if i had just hallucinated that. i think i have dreams about that kinda thing

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    LoopDreams said:

But that Verocai... and you even managed to keep the shrink on it and never crack the gatefold, your a better man then I.

I would have had to crack it open to look at those studio photo's...LOL!

I'm still not totally convinced about the Continental gatefold releases originally coming out with shrink wraps. Could it not have been done at a later date perhaps!!!

I've had three copies of Verocai pass through my hands, all of them mint, also a few other Continental titles with gatefold sleeves that never had shrink coverings (all picked up in Brazil itself).
    All the other labels that released stuff in the 60s & 70s in single, or gatefold sleeves, also appear to not have done shrink wrap sleeves!
    Odeon had their albums, and some of their compacto singles wrapped in a thick sealed plastic covering, but like most U.K. label releases shrink wrapped sleeves were not generally part of the culture for record companies in Brazil (though some of them may have shrink wrapped records that were destined for export only perhaps). There was in the 80s labels like Som Da Gente and Warner that had started to put shrink on their sleeve jackets. It seems highly unlikely that in all those multitude of records (especially radio station copies) that have ended up in peoples collection around the world from the 60s & 70s, that none of them would have escaped not still having some of the shrink intact on the record sleeve!
    It could also be simply that the general public in Brazil always tore off the shrink covers, never regarding that it helps keep the records in better condition in the long run!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    shit just got real in that verocai auction
    imagine your max bid of 3000$ gets beat
    then the dude at 3750$ is still shitting bricks
    let's just say matthew's strategy worked
    spelunked

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    pcmr said:
    shit just got real in that verocai auction
    imagine your max bid of 3000$ gets beat
    then the dude at 3750$ is still shitting bricks
    let's just say matthew's strategy worked
    spelunked

Yeah, I'm not sure I wanna know how much it finishes at now!
    It's at a price that even I, and a friend who I sold a copy to, might be tempted to sell in the future!!!
    I thought it would sell for between $2500 - $3000, but now $4000 or more looks likely...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    TDLT02 said:
    LoopDreams said:

I would have had to crack it open to look at those studio photo's...LOL!

I'm still not totally convinced about the Continental gatefold releases originally coming out with shrink wraps. Could it not have been done at a later date perhaps!!!

I would almost guarantee that it was, perhaps by a distributor or department store. Shrink wrapping in humid climates in the days before air conditioning was commonplace would have been a bad idea as it would just encourage mold.

I've been collecting Brazilian records for years now and the only ones I've seen in shrink were ones that were exported. I don't think I've ever seen one in shrink for sale on ebay from Brazil.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    today is going to be interesting

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    3pm and let the madness begin
    i've got max bid armour to fight off the snipaz

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I can't believe this is gonna crack 4 g's!!

Wow.. there goes my chances of scoring a copy. Well speaking of Verocai Rare. It looks like records wasn't the only thing that he was good at producing.

GEEEYOOOTTDDAAAAMMNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

I call dibbs!

- Diego