Don't talk to the Police

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    enjoying this, thanks.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Agreed....if you are a criminal, and have committed a crime, do not speak to the Police, or anyone for that matter because that will lessen the odds that your sleazy criminal defense lawyer will get your guilty ass off.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Agreed....if you are a criminal, and have committed a crime, do not speak to the Police, or anyone for that matter because that will lessen the odds that your sleazy criminal defense lawyer will get your guilty ass off.

Rock, You obviously did not watch the video.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:

Yeah. Pot smokers should all be locked up.

nzshadow said:
    Rockadelic said:

Sorry....I couldn't get past his "You go girlfriend" comment.

b/w

I still stand behind my above comment.

BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

Yeah. Pot smokers should all be locked up.

This is EXACTLY what I had in mind.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    nzshadow said:
    Rockadelic said:

Sorry....I couldn't get past his "You go girlfriend" comment.

b/w

I still stand behind my above comment.

He makes a lot of good points about why it is a bad idea to talk even if you are completely innocent and you tell only the truth. He has a few cornball moments, but the rest is really informative.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Rock, you're plain wrong on this one. Someone I knew once said something innocuous to a police officer, it ended up with them being charged with a felony. It was eventually thrown out, but that was only because there was no additional evidence (other than their own words).

Edit:
    Name changed to protect the innocent.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Of the assumptions and stipulations that burden the above post, the only one that is really wrong is that the criminal defense lawyer is sleazy. This is a common stereotype, and it is offensive. Criminal defense lawyers play a key role in our system of justice, such as it is, and they should not be derided or easily dismissed.

On the general topic, anyone accused of a crime should not speak to the police. This is true whether the person accused committed the crime or not. The police are completely uninterested in helping the accused improve his/her situation, and the police have an absolute license to lie to the accused about anything and everything. If the accused lies to the police, however, it could be used as evidence of guilt or worse, evidence to support a separate crime of obstruction of justice (Martha Stewart's only crime). The best thing anyone accused of a crime can do is say, "I would like to exercise my right to remain silent." If pressed to say anything further, my recommendation would be, "I would like for you to stop questioning me until I can speak to an attorney." Repeat those two things as many times as is necessary to get police questioning to cease.

The police do not want to help you. They want to help prosecutors obtain convictions. That is their job and they are good at it.

Be advised.
    Soulstrut Legal(TM)

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

are all criminal defense lawyers sleazy since they inevitably have represented guilty people? if so, are prosecutors equally as sleazy since they have inevitably prosecuted innocent defendants?

keithvanhorn said:
    Rockadelic said:

are all criminal defense lawyers sleazy since they inevitably have represented guilty people? if so, are prosecutors equally as sleazy since they have inevitably prosecuted innocent defendants?

I would say a prosecutor who has knowingly prosecuted an innocent person is beyond sleazy and is criminal.

IMO a defense lawyer who counsels clients who they are know are guilty on how to best be found innocent are practicing a sleazy profession and I don't know how they sleep at night.

JRoot said:
    Rockadelic said:

Of the assumptions and stipulations that burden the above post, the only one that is really wrong is that the criminal defense lawyer is sleazy. This is a common stereotype, and it is offensive. Criminal defense lawyers play a key role in our system of justice, such as it is, and they should not be derided or easily dismissed.

On the general topic, anyone accused of a crime should not speak to the police. This is true whether the person accused committed the crime or not. The police are completely uninterested in helping the accused improve his/her situation, and the police have an absolute license to lie to the accused about anything and everything. If the accused lies to the police, however, it could be used as evidence of guilt or worse, evidence to support a separate crime of obstruction of justice (Martha Stewart's only crime). The best thing anyone accused of a crime can do is say, "I would like to exercise my right to remain silent." If pressed to say anything further, my recommendation would be, "I would like for you to stop questioning me until I can speak to an attorney." Repeat those two things as many times as is necessary to get police questioning to cease.

The police do not want to help you. They want to help prosecutors obtain convictions. That is their job and they are good at it.

Be advised.
    Soulstrut Legal(TM)

I agree that my stereotype of all defense attorneys is incorrect and biased.....I retract that statement.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    Rockadelic said:

I would say a prosecutor who has knowingly prosecuted an innocent person is beyond sleazy and is criminal.

IMO a defense lawyer who counsels clients who they are know are guilty on how to best be found innocent are practicing a sleazy profession and I don't know how they sleep at night.

I have friends and family who have worked as public defenders for years, a couple have moved into private practice, and I used to ask them how they counsel someone they know is guilty. The response was something like this:

"That's not my job/role. My job is to defend my client to the best of my legal ability and it's up for a judge or jury to decide if my client is guilty or not. That verdict says nothing about whether I've done my job honorably or not. If my client is found "not guilty" when, in fact, he was guilty, then the system failed but I've only failed if I put together an incompetent defense on behalf of my client."

To put it another way, a rigorous defense of the accused is exactly what the justice system requires to be just. That way, you are convicting people who are found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If a defense attorney can - again, ethically and legally - cast sufficient doubt, then that means the prosecution failed. Either way, the justice system has fulfilled its mission.

The other thing one needs to keep in mind too: prosecutors make their decisions on what cases to take and what to drop based on all kinds of considerations that have very little to do with justice and have everything to do with efficiency and political capital. I had a guest speaker in my class yesterday, a 22 year veteran of the LAPD who is also finishing up his sociology degree at my college. He was the sole detective assigned to the Chris Brown/Rihanna case and has worked domestic violence cases for years. He was saying that the overwhelming number of domestic violence cases featuring similar circumstances (no bones broken, no previous record) are not prosecuted as felonies...the DA usually refers it to the City's Attorneys office. But in the Chris Brown case, the DA pushed for a felony conviction because it was high profile but not because the circumstances would normally have mandated that choice. It was a sobering anecdote.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:

Every prosecutor in the country knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he or she has put numerous innocent people behind bars. The crushing effect of the plea bargaining system makes that an inevitable result.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

Every prosecutor in the country knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he or she has put numerous innocent people behind bars. The crushing effect of the plea bargaining system makes that an inevitable result.

Absolutely. I am tempted to argue though that the plea bargaining system is, itself, a necessity in a legal system that couldn't possibly bring every case to trial under current staffing and infrastructure.

• Options
    mannybolone said:
    BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

Absolutely. I am tempted to argue though that the plea bargaining system is, itself, a necessity in a legal system that couldn't possibly bring every case to trial under current staffing and infrastructure.

Sure, of course. Which is another thing that makes the War On Drugs and jailing prostitutes that much more ridiculous.

Our Judicial System is supposed to protect the innocent and punish the guilty.

Facilitating the punishment of the innocent or the freedom of the guilty is an aberration of justice.

Those who knowingly facilitate these results should at worst be prosecuted and at best be barred from participating in the process.

• Rockadelic said:

Facilitating the punishment of the innocent or the freedom of the guilty is an aberration of justice.

Those who knowingly facilitate these results should at worst be prosecuted and at best be barred from participating in the process.

lol

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Better call Saul!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Do you seriously believe the guilty should not have the right of legal representation?

• Options
    Rockadelic said:

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of our system of justice. You should do some thinking about the presumption of innocence in order to remedy that.

BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of our system of justice. You should do some thinking about the presumption of innocence in order to remedy that.

The word "knowingly" effectively overrules presumption.

There are only three sentences in my post above, which one(s) do you disagree with?

LaserWolf said:
    Do you seriously believe the guilty should not have the right of legal representation?

Of course they should....and I also believe that plea bargains are for the guilty, not the innocent.

walter_chron said:
    Rockadelic said:

lol

I'm not saying the system "is" this way, I'm saying it is supposed to be this way.

Do you disagree?

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

There are only three sentences in my post above, which one(s) do you disagree with?

No, it doesn't. A defense attorney who knows his client is guilty is still obligated to give that client a fair and vigorous defense, within limits. An attorney isn't supposed to suborn perjury, for instance. But attacking the state's case on procedural grounds or based on general civil rights is not just an attorney's duty to his client, it's a duty to the overall system.

What do you think an attorney who knowingly has a guilty client should do? Resign? Show up the first day of the trial with a sign on his chest saying "The Fucker Did It"?

The old saying is "better a hundred guilty men go free than one innocent man suffer." That concept goes back to English Common Law and I don't see any reason to dismiss it.

And so I disagree with sentences #2 or #3, with exceptions. Certainly any prosecutor who knowingly prosecutes an innocent defendant should be prosecuted and disbarred, as should a defense attorney who suborns perjury.

• Rockadelic said:
    Mmmm. Not really. I think it's about protecting $$$ and entrenched interests, and punishing the poor, disenfranchised, and minorities.

New Jim Crow type thing. http://www.newjimcrow.com/

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    LaserWolf said:

Of course they should....and I also believe that plea bargains are for the guilty, not the innocent.

Have you watched the video yet? The guy gives some very plausible examples in which someone completely innocent can be made to look very guilty (not knowingly by police or the prosecutor, though, that is, not when they know the person is innocent). In such a case, in may end up better for that innocent person to take a plea.

BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

No, it doesn't. A defense attorney who knows his client is guilty is still obligated to give that client a fair and vigorous defense, within limits. An attorney isn't supposed to suborn perjury, for instance. But attacking the state's case on procedural grounds or based on general civil rights is not just an attorney's duty to his client, it's a duty to the overall system.

What do you think an attorney who knowingly has a guilty client should do? Resign? Show up the first day of the trial with a sign on his chest saying "The Fucker Did It"?

The old saying is "better a hundred guilty men go free than one innocent man suffer." That concept goes back to English Common Law and I don't see any reason to dismiss it.

You are 100% correct....a "good" lawyer, one who is adept at manipulating the system, gets paid top dollar and can get a guilty man off for his crimes.

The rich hire these "good" lawyers and that is why each and every one of you get to decry that the rich get "special" treatment....they do, and they pay for it.....I think it sucks and I think lawyers, the likes of a Frank Ragano or Murray Richman, who BRAG about getting guilty men set free are sleazebags.....you won't convince me otherwise.

A defense attorney with integrity, who knows his client is guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt, will suggest and effectively receive a plea bargain for his client.

Setting a guilty man free based on technicalities is not what our Judiical system was created to do.

Do I know our system isn't perfect, of course.....does that mean those who participate in it shouldn't strive for perfection?... not imo.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Those vids are almost an hour long.
    No way I am watching them.

Can I get a summary?

brokenrecord said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Mmmm. Not really. I think it's about protecting $$$ and entrenched interests, and punishing the poor, disenfranchised, and minorities.

New Jim Crow type thing. http://www.newjimcrow.com/

Jeeez.....smh......really dude....it's not SUPPOSED to be about protecting the innocent and punishing the guilty??