Kobe's fine

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Kobe got fined $100,000 for saying "fucking faggot" on the bench after getting a technical foul. He didn't get another tech for saying it - the ref didn't hear it, and he clearly didn't say it to the ref (because he obviously didn't want to get another tech).

Isn't this a bit ridiculous? If he had said it while stubbing his toe would the same fine apply? I mean, people yell out horrible curses when they get mad. Jeez...at least he doesn't need the $100k.

Worst fine ever though?

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Clearly not at all associated with game play or sportsmanship...but I can see how the NBA would want to curb this kind of outburst as a matter of public perception...along the same lines as the dress code, etc.

One can argue about how this kind of thing is governed, but despite the fact that these guys are competitors and get emotional, they know they are constantly in the spotlight (during a game at least), and there is always the "role model" aspect to the big name stars, especially Kobe. Its not just basketball...there is a big push to get these kinds of derogatory remarks out of professional sports because of the perception that the kids will just ape it.

Agree or not, its a hefty fine...perhaps a little over the top, but likely so to send a message.

• Options
    The fine is ridiculous.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i think the fine is great. maybe not big enough. fuck that dude.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Clearly not at all associated with game play or sportsmanship...but I can see how the NBA would want to curb this kind of outburst as a matter of public perception...along the same lines as the dress code, etc.

One can argue about how this kind of thing is governed, but despite the fact that these guys are competitors and get emotional, they know they are constantly in the spotlight (during a game at least), and there is always the "role model" aspect to the big name stars, especially Kobe. Its not just basketball...there is a big push to get these kinds of derogatory remarks out of professional sports because of the perception that the kids will just ape it.

Agree or not, its a hefty fine...perhaps a little over the top, but likely so to send a message.

it's so arbitrary though - and it seems like the nba has a separate standard :racist:

nhl players are basically allowed to have fist fights. can you image that going on in the nba in 2011? even back in the 90s, remember the shit-storm after barkley unintentionally spit on some little girl? i'm as liberal as they come, and we have a lot of gay clients that have become great friends, but i still say "fucking faggot" on occasion when someone cuts me off in traffic. i imagine that if i was the most competitive player in the nba, it would slip out on the court too.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    terrible fine. The whole NBA's approach to its discipline and all that is soft as fuck. They don't want players to have any kind of personality. Im not a huge kobe hater or fan but dam is this fine stupid.

KVH, personally I agree and think the fine is wack. Alls I'm sayin is I know why they did it and can (sort of) understand.

That being said, if there is a way we can get some of these "expletives" (i.e. faggot, retard) out of our popular language I think we'll be better for it.

• Options
    HOLLAFAME said:
    That being said, if there is a way we can get some of these "expletives" (i.e. faggot, retard) out of our popular language I think we'll be better for it.

Are you shitting me?

BobDesperado said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

Are you shitting me?

they are just words man...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Manchester United's Rooney got a 2 game ban following a curse filled outburst directly on camera after scoring

keithvanhorn said:
    BobDesperado said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

Are you shitting me?

To you, maybe...but to homosexuals and disabled they are a lot more.

HOLLAFAME said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    BobDesperado said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

Are you shitting me?

To you, maybe...but to homosexuals and disabled they are a lot more.

post of the year

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, everyone should have free reign to use any word when they are mildly inconvenienced. It is very important to allow the inconvenienced the freedom to say whatever they want about any group of people they deem as "insultable".

The fine might be a little on the high side, but in the scheme of things...this fine compared to his weekly salary probably comes out to the same percentage an average working person getting a parking ticket.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The money he gets paid he should be on ****ing boy scout behaviour. Faggot and retard are not acceptable.

• Options
    Flomotion said:
    The money he gets paid he should be on ****ing boy scout behaviour. Faggot and retard are not acceptable.

But you just used them, so send me $100. There are some records I want to buy.

Asterisks for everyone!

The_Hook_Up said:
    yeah, everyone should have free reign to use any word when they are mildly inconvenienced. It is very important to allow the inconvenienced the freedom to say whatever they want about any group of people they deem as "insultable"..

You are right, let's repeal the first amendment. Also, when an adrenaline-filled athlete says something in the heat of the moment (on the bench and under his breath no less) it is clearly the same as giving a speech or an interview. That's why NBA players make so much money; they are gifted with a unique ability to get elbowed in the face (or put on the bench after a bad call is made) and not yell out "FUCKKKK!!!" or "fucking faggot" or whatever else everyone in the world is guilty of doing in moments of anger/rage/adrenaline-filled-rushes.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be KVH waxing poetical on how good looking Kobe is.

I don't know what you do for work, KVH, but if you ran around your workplace saying "fucking faggot" every time you stubbed your toe or you had to do another TPS report, I don't imagine your boss would be too pleased.

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:
    I thought this thread was going to be KVH waxing poetical on how good looking Kobe is.

Lol, me too!!!

give me a fucking break...since when does ANYone have freedom of speech without consequences AT WORK? One's employer has the right to issue consequences for an employee's behavior. I'm sure if I called a co-worker a fucking faggot, or just yelled it out, human resources would want to have a word with me.

keithvanhorn said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    yeah, everyone should have free reign to use any word when they are mildly inconvenienced. It is very important to allow the inconvenienced the freedom to say whatever they want about any group of people they deem as "insultable"..

You are right, let's repeal the first amendment. Also, when an adrenaline-filled athlete says something in the heat of the moment (on the bench and under his breath no less) it is clearly the same as giving a speech or an interview. That's why NBA players make so much money; they are gifted with a unique ability to get elbowed in the face (or put on the bench after a bad call is made) and not yell out "FUCKKKK!!!" or "fucking faggot" or whatever else everyone in the world is guilty of doing in moments of anger/rage/adrenaline-filled-rushes.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    You are right, let's repeal the first amendment.

It's really kind of sad that 95% of the time when people invoke the First Amendment, it's in situations where it doesn't even remotely apply.

Once again - it doesn't mean you can say anything you want, anywhere you want, to anybody you want and not be subject to any consequences.

I think 10g would have covered it.

HOLLAFAME said:
    I don't know what you do for work, KVH, but if you ran around your workplace saying "fucking faggot" every time you stubbed your toe or you had to do another TPS report, I don't imagine your boss would be too pleased.

this is really dumb. comparing nba/nhl/nfl players to joe shmoe the office guy is apples and oranges. there is also a remedy already in the nba-it's called a technical foul. however, when your not "in the game" or directing it at a referee, it's hardly fair for the nba to act like the etiquette police. to put it in your terms, if your office hr guy was patrolling the parking lot and read your lips as you said "fucking faggot" in your car after some guy took your spot, i hardly see the basis for reprimand, no matter what your employee handbook says.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:

*sigh*

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone introduced this totally irrelevant concept into this discussion.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Kinda feellin' the slippery slope on this. From a lawyer, no less.

rootlesscosmo said:
    keithvanhorn said:

*sigh*

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone introduced this totally irrelevant concept into this discussion.

the original statement was in response to dude's post about how we should be phasing certain words out of our vocabulary. but please educate me on employment law and the irrelevancy of the first amendment.

• GlockoseGlockose 49 Posts
    The real crap is that earlier in the day the NBA lifted one of his previous Technicals.
    Other wise he would have sat last night....

keithvanhorn said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

this is really dumb. comparing nba/nhl/nfl players to joe shmoe the office guy is apples and oranges. there is also a remedy already in the nba-it's called a technical foul. however, when your not "in the game" or directing it at a referee, it's hardly fair for the nba to act like the etiquette police. to put it in your terms, if your office hr guy was patrolling the parking lot and read your lips as you said "fucking faggot" in your car after some guy took your spot, i hardly see the basis for reprimand, no matter what your employee handbook says.

Maybe not, unless you are televised nation-wide.

keithvanhorn said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    keithvanhorn said:

*sigh*

the original statement was in response to dude's post about how we should be phasing certain words out of our vocabulary. but please educate me on employment law and the irrelevancy of the first amendment.

I have a job that has quite a few "adrenaline filled" moments from time to time. If in my "adrenaline filled" moments I used that language, I would be fired. Plain and simple. But you seem to hold professional athletes in a higher regard to the average working person. I don't know why this is. Regardless, NO ONE has a right to consequence-free actions in the workplace, no matter what he/she does for a living. Kobe was stupid to say what he said knowing that there are cameras and microphones and thousands of eyeballs at his place of work. Consider the fine as a tax on idiocy.

The_Hook_Up said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    keithvanhorn said:

*sigh*

I have a job that has quite a few "adrenaline filled" moments from time to time. If in my "adrenaline filled" moments I used that language, I would be fired. Plain and simple. But you seem to hold professional athletes in a higher regard to the average working person. I don't know why this is. Regardless, NO ONE has a right to consequence-free actions in the workplace, no matter what he/she does for a living. Kobe was stupid to say what he said knowing that there are cameras and microphones and thousands of eyeballs at his place of work. Consider the fine as a tax on idiocy.

you seem to caught up in comparing kobe (a professional entertainer) with you. the nba's action is arbitrary. they have an interest in protecting their brand of entertainment, but regulating this type of activity is 1) a slippery slope (the term of the thread) and 2) impossible to uniformly apply. do they just fine the guys who get caught using this language on camera? what about if someone overhears them on a team bus? in an airport? in private? it's just too stupid to even argue about. i cannot believe people truly believe he should be fined. the strut cannot be that dumb.

You're right this is stupid...the bench in an arena with thousands of people, your superiors, and those in authority over your line of work is NOT the same as the bus or parking lot. The fact that you put sitting in front of a TV camera and thousands of people on the same level as a private conversation is really stupid.