Kobe's fine

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Muthafucka is on television all the time. Know the age we are in. There 100 other creative ways to insult a ref.

Send a message. U cant have the best player in the league mouthing that shit to the camera.

Ill let a Fuck,Damn,Shit ride.....that aint shit to me.

I love Faggot, Nigga, and Bitch, but i usually know when to use it.

If they had a camera at my desk at work, I would be cautious and cant get mad if they record & penalize me for using slurs.

I dont get u dudes here w/ your spin doctoring intellectual shit. Talmbout amendments and shit.

The whole "they get emotional thang" is crap. Take some fuckin "how to act in public" training and learn how to control your damn mouf in public, since your parents didnt show you how.

Fuckin brats.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this

batmon said:
    Muthafucka is on television all the time. Know the age we are in. There 100 other creative ways to insult a ref.

Send a message. U cant have the best player in the league mouthing that shit to the camera.

If they had a camera at my desk at work, I would be cautious and cant get mad if they record & penalize me for using slurs.

I dont get u dudes here w/ your spin doctoring intellectual shit. Talmbout amendments and shit.

The whole "they get emotional thang" is crap. Take some fuckin "how to act in public" training and learn how to control your damn mouf in public, since your parents didnt show you how.

Fuckin brats.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Don Imus broadcasts "Nappy Headed Ho" over FCC air waves on some two bit radio show that might have 20,000 listeners and loses his job...and every person to a man here at SS was outraged and wanted dude's head.

Kobe says "Fucking Faggot" on national television and same dudes are defending him.

Glockose made the most salient point in this thread.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Rockadelic said:
    Don Imus broadcasts "Nappy Headed Ho" over FCC air waves on some two bit radio show that might have 20,000 listeners and loses his job...and every person to a man here at SS was outraged and wanted dude's head.

Kobe says "Fucking Faggot" on national television and same dudes are defending him.

I think "Two-Bit" is an exaggeration.

In 2005, Imus in the Morning was carried by about 90 radio stations across the United States,[2] although at the time of its 2007 CBS Radio/MSNBC cancellation it was carried by 61 stations.[3] Arbitron analysis put the program among the most listened to radio talk shows in the United States,[4] with about 1.6 million radio listeners per week.[5]

Was Imus Show on it death bed when he made that comment?

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Has Glee taught you nothing???

;-)

Rockadelic said:

I think "Two-Bit" is an exaggeration.

In 2005, Imus in the Morning was carried by about 90 radio stations across the United States,[2] although at the time of its 2007 CBS Radio/MSNBC cancellation it was carried by 61 stations.[3] Arbitron analysis put the program among the most listened to radio talk shows in the United States,[4] with about 1.6 million radio listeners per week.[5]

Was Imus Show on it death bed when he made that comment?

Agreed on the listenership.....but in the scheme of things Kobe is a much larger celebrity than Imus and with that comes some responsibility when your words are being broadcast.

I agree 100% with your earlier post.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    The fact that you put sitting in front of a TV camera and thousands of people on the same level as a private conversation is really stupid.

true.

but we are talking about professional sports - and basketball is not golf or tennis. it's a shit talking, physical game. if kobe had said "fucking bitch", there would have been no fine. if some MMA guy or boxer had said much worse than "fucking faggot" while walking to his corner, it wouldn't be newsworthy.

so anyway, regulating the nba as an entertainment business is fine. i get that. but it's impossible to enforce as i said in my last post so fining kobe is just dumb/inconsistent/etc..

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I thought this thread was going to be KVH waxing poetical on how good looking Kobe is.

haha i just got this.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    jaymack said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    I thought this thread was going to be KVH waxing poetical on how good looking Kobe is.

haha i just got this.

In the word game, we call that lexical ambiguity ;)

• I have no problem with the fine, and the "they're just words!" argument is so dumb to me.

This is about perception, and the NBA protecting it's image, and I have NO problem with that. If they do this, and they ensure that in the future more players don't say f*g, then good for them. The "in your office," comparison is frankly closer than I think KVH gives it credit... Sure, they can say what they want, but the players are all VERY aware that there are cameras and mics everywhere. They should know that if it airs, there are severe consequences.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    batmon said:

exactly...

the NBA has been about image for some time... you become a pro player, you get a lot of money... in return, you gotta wear a suit in public and you need to act semi-mature...

KVH hit it on the head in one regard: players are entertainers... they are paid to play the game and uphold whatever image their employer chooses... again, in return, they get a huge pile of money... i can't see why people think this an unfair deal...

you cannot have the face of the league saying "faggot" on camera... for the NBA's brand, that shit is poison... if gay rights groups decide to throw a minor fit over this, it's hard to say it's unjustified... along with the N-word, "faggot" is one of the most loaded words in the english language and if say, Sidney Crosby was caught in the penalty box saying that on camera, there would be a shitstorm as well...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm sure KVH has no problem calling the judge next time he's in court the same word when he gets a ruling against him.

I think he got let off easy. A few hundred thousand words in the dictionary. You can't come up with something else?

Hey bernie,, hey bernie....you fuckin fa&&0/!

He sat down and called dude out. This is not a stubbed toe.

• batmon said:

Fuckin brats.

Love Bathate...gay [as it gets] and could give a shit about this, I like logic related. Thank yeeww.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As for the use of the word, I am with Hallafame.
    KVH, even alone in the car, you should just stop.

As for Kobe and the NBA. I think the correct response for this, or something else, anything else, would be to suspend Kobe for the upcoming LA / Portland series.

LaserWolf said:
    As for the use of the word, I am with Hallafame.
    KVH, even alone in the car, you should just stop.

As for Kobe and the NBA. I think the correct response for this, or something else, anything else, would be to suspend Kobe for the upcoming LA / Portland series.

I've got good news...there won't be a Lakers / Blazers series.