is CRUNK music hip hop?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
can someone plaese elaborate on this music. does it contain sampling. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    !

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    bleh. keyboards.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Yay! keyboards!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The "Grand Finale" track off Lil Jon's "Crunk Juice" album has a loop in it,give it a listen

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    The "Grand Finale" track off Lil Jon's "Crunk Juice" album has a loop in it,give it a listen

that shit is hot. are you sure its a sample? What is it?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'm not dead certain if it's a sample,so i couldn't give you a name.But it has a soundtrack score vibe to it,and it just sound's like they're playing the keyboards over it.You hear the loop clearly at the very start of the song.It sounds like it's the basis that the song is built on.
    ps.Rick Rubin loops a Slayer song "Raining Blood" for the LiL Jon track "Stop fucking wit me"

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    a few of the tracks on lil jon's first album had samples. most notably, i think it was the first or second track which (they have no shame) sampled the requiem for a dream theme.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    can someone plaese elaborate on this music. does it contain sampling. peace, stein. . .

see "riding spinners" by triple 6...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

see most every song by triple 6...
    and i wouldnt call 3-6 "crunk"

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

not true at all...

"tear da club up"?????????????????????

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

not true at all...

"tear da club up"?????????????????????
    guess you havent heard Da Unbreakables, huh?

and 3 6 have songs that would now be considered "crunk", but the majority of their shit isnt crunk

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i tought hip-hop was about diggin for new shit over and over when Crunk is just the opposite...They all gave up on creating new drums and ended up with the same beats than Luke. Then Jon realized that he don't have to switch his shit up all the time and make hit singles with the same pattern. So fuck it. I would have done the same if i was him...If people are corny like that, if they gon buy tracks like those,it's a supply-demand problem. Crunk is hip-hop since it feeds a lot of dudes,but that's a "make-believe"...They make people believe they do music, but its not really music. As a beatmaker, you can't be satisfied with Crunk music. Shit is the opposite of hip-hop because it's predictable. Everything is predictable with Crunk. So voil??. It's hip-hop, but it's not...I would call it Hi-Pop.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    is that last post a joke????

Lil Jon and crunk producers are lazy because they don't flip loops???? im way more into some nice fast drum machines with a zillion synth noises over it than yet another 94bpm, 2 bar polish jazz loop some dude spent 3 weeks chopping.

• Stein, does hip-hop have to involve sampling. peace, check....

• i tought hip-hop was about diggin for new shit over and over when Crunk is just the opposite...They all gave up on creating new drums and ended up with the same beats than Luke. Then Jon realized that he don't have to switch his shit up all the time and make hit singles with the same pattern. So fuck it. I would have done the same if i was him...If people are corny like that, if they gon buy tracks like those,it's a supply-demand problem. Crunk is hip-hop since it feeds a lot of dudes,but that's a "make-believe"...They make people believe they do music, but its not really music. As a beatmaker, you can't be satisfied with Crunk music. Shit is the opposite of hip-hop because it's predictable. Everything is predictable with Crunk. So voil??. It's hip-hop, but it's not...I would call it Hi-Pop.

THIS IS A JOKE! HA ! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!

Man oh man... shit's laughable bro. Crunk's more predictable than your wannabe-mid-90s drum loops! WOAH, IT'S ANOTHER DRUM BREAK! OOOOOOHSHIT! ANOTHER RHODES SAMPLE! HEY SOME UPRIGHT BASS! DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!!! WOOOOOOAH! EXCITING SHIT MAN!

didn't you say something about strutters and listening to hip hop?

hmmm i don't remember.

i saw some Cribs type show on lil jon and that shit was off the chain. he had homies all over his mansion... in the music room there was like couple crappy synths and a computer and dudes playign guitar and just wilin out on the crunk juice.

damn

gimme that anyday over preemo locked in his closet trying to format another disc for the mpc cause he just ran outta memory ... oh the golden age!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i tought hip-hop was about diggin for new shit over and over when Crunk is just the opposite...They all gave up on creating new drums and ended up with the same beats than Luke. Then Jon realized that he don't have to switch his shit up all the time and make hit singles with the same pattern. So fuck it. I would have done the same if i was him...If people are corny like that, if they gon buy tracks like those,it's a supply-demand problem. Crunk is hip-hop since it feeds a lot of dudes,but that's a "make-believe"...They make people believe they do music, but its not really music. As a beatmaker, you can't be satisfied with Crunk music. Shit is the opposite of hip-hop because it's predictable. Everything is predictable with Crunk. So voil??. It's hip-hop, but it's not...I would call it Hi-Pop.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• gimme that anyday over preemo locked in his closet trying to format another disc for the mpc cause he just ran outta memory ... oh the golden age!

I need your address, I've got a truckload of medals to send your way.

Crunk is another form of music that has spawned from hip hop. I can't see the cultural connection at all. Digging & sampling makes hip hop music fun. Fuck all that Triton keyboard shit. It just sounds like ravers abusing 808s, adding dark noisy synths, while dudes scream shit about shit. A regional sound that doesn't travel as well as other styles of music. Amazes me how many people hated on Miami Bass but can't anal rape this sound quick enough in its defense.

• gimme that anyday over preemo locked in his closet trying to format another disc for the mpc cause he just ran outta memory ... oh the golden age!

I can't see the cultural connection at all.

MAYBE BECAUSE YOU'RE AUSTRALIAN

i LOVE Miami Bass, Electro, dancehall. I see Crunk in a natural lineage in those forms of dope ghetto electronics

I can't see the cultural connection at all.

MAYBE BECAUSE YOU'RE AUSTRALIAN
    Well spotted bro. I'll add a pet koala as well to the package.
    Are we going to argue again... Ha ha!

As if I haven't had enough conversations with Americans who don't get the connection either.

I love Miami Bass, Electro, shit damn, even other good black music like House & Techno... Which doesn't get no love at all amongts many beat diggers.

Take out the ravey keyboards & all the hi-octane lyrically negative shouting & I might be able to get into it, but that stuff just irritates my ears & puts me on edge. I'd rather go listen to death metal for the same experience.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A regional sound that doesn't travel as well as other styles of music.

Some of you people live in a fantasy world.

It clearly does travel well--Li'l Jon has managed to interest millions of people in his regional sound.

Terrible thread.

I love Miami Bass, Electro, shit damn, even other good black music

Oh boy!

The "good" black music versus the "bad" black music!

guess you havent heard Da Unbreakables, huh?

and 3 6 have songs that would now be considered "crunk", but the majority of their shit isnt crunk

MackTrick: Unbreakables is far from the definitive Three-6 album, so if you haven't picked up any of their earlier records, you really owe it to yourself to do so.

But your larger point is accurate: while they were pioneers of that rowdy club sound, it wasn't called "crunk" for most of the time that they were doing it, and I wouldn't call it that now.

• A regional sound that doesn't travel as well as other styles of music.

Some of you people live in a fantasy world.

It clearly does travel well--Li'l Jon has managed to interest millions of people in his regional sound.

Terrible thread.

It doesn't travel as well OUTSIDE of the US as some other forms of music.
    Just like it took DnB forevor to infiltrate the US without a huge imapct. Like house music was enormous in the UK & Europe & barely regsitered in the US even though it was created there. Some musical forms work in different places. The UK has it's own form in the shape of Grime so it doesn't hit off as much as it would've. Even though the labels that relaese it there are go hardcore in their promotion. Krunk works wonders in it's created region & so it should.

I'm not hating on it. it just has something that gives me no pleasure as a listener. I've tried but it just doesn't connect. Just like watching 'Krumping' or clowns dancing like crazy people does nothing for me.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A regional sound that doesn't travel as well as other styles of music.

Some of you poptarts[/b] live in a fantasy world.

Terrible thread.

• Oh shit my skin is edible!!!

house music barely regsitered in the US