is CRUNK music hip hop?

Comments

• house music barely regsitered in the US

Oh yes, you are correct, I did spell it wrong. Here you go. R e g i s t e r e d. Aaah that's better then.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    let's see...are they rapping? oh wow! guess what? IT'S FUCKING HIP HOP

dumbasses

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    house music barely regsitered in the US

Oh yes, you are correct, I did spell it wrong. Here you go. R e g i s t e r e d. Aaah that's better then.

i could careless about the spelling

i could careless about the spelling

Like der...

• I dunno dude, I think most southern rappers wouldn't really call it Hip Hop either. They call it Crunk or Bounce or whatever to seperate from the other stuff and make it their own form of music. Kinda like, I guess funk is really just soul, but at the same time there is a difference.

Bushwick Bill said something along the lines that hip hop is dead, but gangsta rap is running shit. Basically all that b-boy, MCing, 5 elements, classical hip hop thing really is dead, and if thats what you consider hip hop, then yeah, its gone. If not, then its still alive and well I guess.

Personally, I say let the south do whatever it wants. Its not for me, personally, but if people enjoy it then thats fine. I do wish New York would get back on track and do what it does best instead of copying what everybody else does better.

Chicago where? Loft? You mean apartments in Williamsburg? Garage, isn't that where you put the car? Body and Soul, hmmmmm.... that's like, chakras and soy milk and shit, right?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Well, what Limp Bizkit does is technically "rapping," so I don't know if I would take it that far...

• let's see...are they rapping? oh wow! guess what? IT'S FUCKING HIP HOP

Well, what Limp Bizkit does is technically "raping"

Well, what Limp Bizkit does is technically "raping"

• Bushwick Bill said something along the lines that hip hop is dead, but gangsta rap is running shit. Basically all that b-boy, MCing, 5 elements, classical hip hop thing really is dead, and if thats what you consider hip hop, then yeah, its gone. If not, then its still alive and well I guess.

Ha, I hardly think Bushwick is a voice of authority. My ex-wife was at the NMS in 91 when the Ghetto Boys (as tehy were spelt back then) were booed by the NY crowd. Scarface is a legend, so no diss. I saw Willie D's 1st album on CD go for $180 on ebay a few weeks ago???? Anyway...

The 4 Elements are surviving quite well across the whole damn planet without a few dickheads dissing it with their superiority complexes running rife trying to make themselves to be the ultimate tastemakers.
    Not directed at you Diz. Just egghead haters in general.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    crunk is more hip hop than 90% of the shit i see on tv and hear on the radio all day.....big ass white tees and a drum machine are very hip hop ...

and yes Limp Bizkit is rap but not necessarily hip hop

time for my real world moves ..later

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    crunk is more hip hop than 90% of the shit i see on tv and hear on the radio all day.....big ass white tees and a drum machine are very hip hop ...

back to the essence...

• Bushwick Bill said something along the lines that hip hop is dead, but gangsta rap is running shit. Basically all that b-boy, MCing, 5 elements, classical hip hop thing really is dead, and if thats what you consider hip hop, then yeah, its gone. If not, then its still alive and well I guess.

Ha, I hardly think Bushwick is a voice of authority. My ex-wife was at the NMS in 91 when the Ghetto Boys (as tehy were spelt back then) were booed by the NY crowd. Scarface is a legend, so no diss. I saw Willie D's 1st album on CD go for $180 on ebay a few weeks ago???? Anyway...

The 4 Elements are being aped quite poorly across the whole damn planet

I think Bushwick Bill is a voice of authority on southern hip-hop... and being boo'd at NMS in '91 doesn't mean shit, unless you are/were on the dick of New York City... everyone was boo'd by NYers around that time.

Well, what Limp Bizkit does is technically "rapping," so I don't know if I would take it that far...

nah I know but these "is this shit hip hop" arguments get on my nerves. If crunk came out in the 80's the only station it would get play on would be the "urban contemporary" station and it would be on the hip hop show...along with Lisa Lisa which I wouldn't consider hip hop now but it sure was then.

Crunk is rap, rap is hip hop, it's all the same umbrella. fucka sub-genre

Bushwick Bill said something along the lines that hip hop is dead, but gangsta rap is running shit. Basically all that b-boy, MCing, 5 elements, classical hip hop thing really is dead, and if thats what you consider hip hop, then yeah, its gone. If not, then its still alive and well I guess.

The 4 Elements are being aped quite poorly across the whole damn planet

I think Bushwick Bill is a voice of authority on southern hip-hop... and being boo'd at NMS in '91 doesn't mean shit, unless you are/were on the dick of New York City... everyone was boo'd by NYers around that time.

Seriously...Joe Cooley WHOOPED Cash Money's ass at the 88 NMS and still lost. East Coast reprazent kid! ...fuckem

• lyrically it can make a person stupid!i think its a style of music,but if you jokers that just make the music sound very stupid.i think

lyrically it can make a person stupid!i think its a style of music,but if you jokers that just make the music sound very stupid.i think

was that english?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    where's cosmo baker?

• lyrically it can make a person stupid!i think its a style of music,but if you jokers that just make the music sound very stupid.i think

was that english?

never been to collage but i got crazy knowlegde

• crunk is more hip hop than 90% of the shit i see on tv and hear on the radio all day.....white tees and a drum machine are very hip hop ...

Crunk IS 90% of what i see on tv and hear on the radio all day.

Well, OK, I don't really listen to the radio. I just got a new CD player that can play mp3 data disks. its awesome.

And idiotproof, Aussies keeping hip hop alive is like americans keeping the Digeridoo (sp?) alive.... you know? Most americans dont want to hear aussie rap. or british rap. or whatever. why? because we are american, i guess.

Debussy wrote some ragtime tunes. Was it real ragtime or an imitation? It was an imitation of what he was hearing, of course. So no matter how into it he was at the time, history has judged it as a novelty, rather than serious music.

Rachmoninoff recorded the US national anthem to a piano roll, so you can still hear it today. Its very russian. Interesting? Sure, from a historical music perspective. A serious work? Hardly. Again, its more of a novelty.

My point is that no matter how talented debussy and rachmoninoff were, they are known for what they did, not for imitating what other people did. So if aussies or whoever want to keep the 4 elements going, then have fun, but keep in mind that its just an imitation of what was died over here 20 years ago.

please don't take that as a diss.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    crunk is more hip hop than 90% of the shit i see on tv and hear on the radio all day.....white tees and a drum machine are very hip hop ...

Well, OK, I don't really listen to the radio. I just got a new CD player that can play mp3 data disks. its awesome.

And idiotproof, Aussies keeping hip hop alive is like americans keeping the Digeridoo (sp?) alive.... you know? Most americans dont want to hear aussie rap. or british rap. or whatever. why? because we are american, i guess.

Debussy wrote some ragtime tunes. Was it real ragtime or an imitation? It was an imitation of what he was hearing, of course. So no matter how into it he was at the time, history has judged it as a novelty, rather than serious music.

Rachmoninoff recorded the US national anthem to a piano roll, so you can still hear it today. Its very russian. Interesting? Sure, from a historical music perspective. A serious work? Hardly. Again, its more of a novelty.

My point is that no matter how talented debussy and rachmoninoff were, they are known for what they did, not for imitating what other people did. So if aussies or whoever want to keep the 4 elements going, then have fun, but keep in mind that its just an imitation of what was died over here 20 years ago.

Real muthafukkin talk. What up, S.D?

That's awesome!

...And by the way, G**y, "lasagna" rhymes with "T***a."

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Ha, I hardly think Bushwick is a voice of authority.

clearly an american rap artist who's been in the game for damn near twenty years and has countless classics under his belt is less a voice of authority than some four elements aussie running his mouth about what's true hip hop on an internet message board.

• crunk is more hip hop than 90% of the shit i see on tv and hear on the radio all day.....white tees and a drum machine are very hip hop ...

Gotter be stronger than that for me to feel dissed.
    And Americans don't want to hear about anyone overseas because they don't give a shit about the outside world. Not exactly news there. Considering that only 10% of Amercans have a passport & only 50% of them have ever used it's hardly surprising.

If it's so dead can you explain that to the 1000 or so artists we deal with on a daily basis with our magazine. Can you ring & tell them it's dead. Because I don't think they got the memo. Oh & call up the rest of the world. Like Colombia, Ghana, Poland, Malaysia & everyone else that is busy with a thriving scene while you are at it.

We aren't imitating we are merely doing. Like you guys drive a car, Is there an American way of driving a car? We don't put on bullshit accents & copy shit. We bomb trains, we spin in clubs, we make records, we don't give a shit what anyone thinks of us. We just contribute as best we can to teh gloabal scene.
    Oh an an Aussie just took out the battle at Scribble Jam. Oh but Scribble Jam doesn't exist because true hip hop is dead yeah?

Yeah & before some dickhead jumps in with a 'backpacker' jibe. Fuck off with your predictablity.
    Again not directed at you Diz.

and I'm on this board because I give a shit. I actually really do give a fuck. It's called passion.

and I'm on this board because I give a shit. I actually really do give a fuck. It's called passion.

No offense, but I can't take anything you write about hip-hop seriously after the fuss you made last year about 9th Wonder only getting a small corner piece in XXL instead of the cover.

• Ha, I hardly think Bushwick is a voice of authority.

clearly an american rap artist who's been in the game for damn near twenty years and has countless classics under his belt is less a voice of authority than some four elements aussie running his mouth about what's true hip hop on an internet message board.

You guys fail to read between the lines. His mental stability I was getting at...

And don't worry I've got all their shit from 'Making Trouble' onwards, so I'm not dissing 'Little Billy'. Saying that gangster rap was running things was silly. Who bought most of it, pimply white kids I reckon, so I guess they were running things then.

• i hate airplanes

• and I'm on this board because I give a shit. I actually really do give a fuck. It's called passion.

No offense, but I can't take anything you write about hip-hop seriously after the fuss you made last year about 9th Wonder only getting a small corner piece in XXL instead of the cover.

Again... Just trying to ask why their isn't a fair spread of artists getting props. And it wasn't that big of a fuss.. was it? Yeah his overuse of the same snare is getting tiring, but I enjoyed the Kaze LP. He has his moments. XXL is still a myopic magazine in my opnion.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Thats the sadest hipster pic I've ever seen.