is CRUNK music hip hop?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

I knew this girl named Heidi in the early '90s, she was cute, dating a rich old man, and driving a Caddy he gave her as a "present." She wore a Smiths shirt. It hurt to witness. Not as bad as when we got in her car (first time I saw a multi-disk CD changer) and she asked me, "Have you ever heard of Fugazi?" She proceeded to put on "Greed" and, yes, sing along. Completely void of irony.

• Where the hell did Einstein go to?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

and I'm on this board because I give a shit. I actually really do give a fuck. It's called passion.

No offense, but I can't take anything you write about hip-hop seriously after the fuss you made last year about 9th Wonder only getting a small corner piece in XXL instead of the cover.

please don't take that as a diss.

Again... Just trying to ask why their isn't a fair spread of artists getting props. And it wasn't that big of a fuss.. was it? Yeah his overuse of the same snare is getting tiring, but I enjoyed the Kaze LP. He has his moments. XXL is still a myopic magazine in my opnion.

Because they cover artists that people actually like, as opposed to artists that you think people should like?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    And it wasn't that big of a fuss.. was it?

It wasn't that big of a fuss, but I never met anyone who is a true fan of the artform that wouldn't agree that XXL is legit. Sure it has its limitations, especially with the Interscope dick-riding, but Elliot Wilson and Harris Publications still gotta make that cheddar (and that's very hip hop).

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

and I'm on this board because I give a shit. I actually really do give a fuck. It's called passion.

No offense, but I can't take anything you write about hip-hop seriously after the fuss you made last year about 9th Wonder only getting a small corner piece in XXL instead of the cover.

Again... Just trying to ask why their isn't a fair spread of artists getting props. And it wasn't that big of a fuss.. was it? Yeah his overuse of the same snare is getting tiring, but I enjoyed the Kaze LP. He has his moments. XXL is still a myopic magazine in my opnion.

Because they cover artists that people actually like, as opposed to artists that you think people should like?

That has ALWAYS been my problem with "indie" or "underground" cats. They know what everyone SHOULD like.

• Because they cover artists that people actually like, as opposed to artists that you think people should like?

Do you seriously believe that?
    But of course the public are hip to the artists before they even have a release out, of course its never led by major labels pressuring the magazines with advertising dollars, payola, threats etc...of course not how stupid of me. The indies can't get in because of lack of funds that the big guys so obviously have. That is why they don't get any shine. Sayung that the public don't like them is friggin stupoid, The public never get a chance to hear them because the industry is so tightly sown up. Only recently Sony admitted to bribing radio stations with perks, money & holidays. The shit is finally getting exposed, but i'll let you believe what you want to believe.
    I work in the industry mate. It's as plain as day. The shit is rife.
    The public has no idea what goes on behind closed doors.

Hmm, wonder what is happening over at The Source these days. Oh surprise surprise.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

But of course the public are hip to the artists before they even have a release out, of course its never led by major labels pressuring the magazines with advertising dollars, payola, threats etc...of course not how stupid of me. The indies can't get in because of lack of funds that the big guys so obviously have. That is why they don't get any shine. Sayung that the public don't like them is friggin stupoid, The public never get a chance to hear them because the industry is so tightly sown up. Only recently Sony admitted to bribing radio stations with perks, money & holidays. The shit is finally getting exposed, but i'll let you believe what you want to believe.

Hmm, wonder what is happening over at The Source these days. Oh surprise surprise.

bitter much?

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    [quote the Kaze LP
    That made it to Australia?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    can someone plaese elaborate on this music. does it contain sampling. peace, stein. . .

see most every song by triple 6...
    not true at all...

and i wouldnt call 3-6 "crunk"

"tear da club up"?????????????????????
    guess you havent heard Da Unbreakables, huh?

and 3 6 have songs that would now be considered "crunk", but the majority of their shit isnt crunk

"the unbreakbles"? are you serious? listen, if you don't know about something, you don't have to post about it...

anyways, although Three 6 do stuff that's not "crunk" like "sippin on some syrup", stuff like "tear da club up" IS CRUNK: rowdy chants, lyrics about getting rowdy, simple menacing low end bass... if that's not crunk, you guys are nuts... also, alot of the productions Triple 6 do for Project Pat, Killer Mike, etc are straight crunk...

for all the traditionalists hating on crunk, mellow out... it's good, fun music (and NOT all "Tritoned out", lil Jon uses Moogs on alot of his stuff...)... the difference between crunk and "traditional" hip hop is like the difference between 50's jazz and 50's r&b. and i have both Hank Ballard and the Midniters AND Jackie MacLean in my record collection, ya know?

honestly, i got into crunk b/c i bought "put ya hood up" on the day it came out b/c the cover was dope and i knew Lil' Jon from his Capleton "wings of the morning" remix, which was STRAIGHT HIP HOP, fucking "hard to handle" sample and everything... and i loved it... that record sounds like a riot... ill...

as for the cats on here repping southern music and hating on nyc hip hop every moment, give it a rest... you have the foaming at the mouth zeal of the freshly converted... i.e. during the Rawkus thread i was amazed how many dudes were like "i used to own like the whole catalog and now it think it sucks". really? your taste was that different 6 years ago? for real? it's pretty obvious that the zeigiest right now is to be aggresively anti-intellectual, which is fine, but dudes sound like hip hop Chuck Klostermans when you start bashing "backpackers"... me feels you hate it b/c it reminds you of yourself...

• Because they cover artists that people actually like, as opposed to artists that you think people should like?

Maybe from Australia that's how it looks. Sure there's plenty of industry shadiness, but thank you very much we're not all a bunch of sheep being dictated to by advertisers.

American consumers actually like the stuff that's on radio/magazine cover/etc... how hard is that to understand.

• bitter much?

Nah, not really...just observant. I guess I'm just not into pop music that much.
    I might go get a cup of tea & a crumpet...

I just like levelheaded discussions & being attacked because I'm a FOREIGNER who can't understand English, as one Soulstrutter mysteriously called me.

• 10 on 1.

• quote the Kaze LP

Are you serious bro? Yeah we have running water & electricty as well.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Can someone PLEASE come up with a "WHATEVER" graemlin?

• 10 on 1.

Yes... not very fair...

I just can't feel this "you Americans and your wack tastes don't even know what real hip-hop is, so us Australians/Germans/Japanese/etc will keep it real for you."

BACK TO RACKORDS

Josh is this raer (on vinyl):

???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• promo only

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    quote the Kaze LP

Ahh shit... That was a laugh

Do you seriously believe that? All that's separating Little Brother from multiplatinum sales is exposure?

Yes, there's plenty of shadiness, but pretty much every significant artist that the majors have developed in recent years has first shown that he or she had money-making potential independently. It's generally easier for these guys to scoop up somebody with already established appeal than it is for them to develop somebody from scratch and foist them on the public.

And Li'l Jon--who's really the artist that occasioned this thread--remains independent.

• 10 on 1.

Yeah that's because all the FOREIGNERS are asleep. It's 3AM here.

Ha but Peace, maybe you should get out of this one because I like the music you promote...

• I just don't see why erryone needs to 'learn' dude...he's allowed his own private mind garden just like any of us.

BTW we need a "SIDEWAYS" graemlin!

can someone plaese elaborate on this music. does it contain sampling. peace, stein. . .

see most every song by triple 6...
    not true at all...

and i wouldnt call 3-6 "crunk"

"tear da club up"?????????????????????
    guess you havent heard Da Unbreakables, huh?

and 3 6 have songs that would now be considered "crunk", but the majority of their shit isnt crunk

"the unbreakbles"? are you serious? listen, if you don't know about something, you don't have to post about it...

anyways, although Three 6 do stuff that's not "crunk" like "sippin on some syrup", stuff like "tear da club up" IS CRUNK: rowdy chants, lyrics about getting rowdy, simple menacing low end bass... if that's not crunk, you guys are nuts... also, alot of the productions Triple 6 do for Project Pat, Killer Mike, etc are straight crunk...

for all the traditionalists hating on crunk, mellow out... it's good, fun music (and NOT all "Tritoned out", lil Jon uses Moogs on alot of his stuff...)... the difference between crunk and "traditional" hip hop is like the difference between 50's jazz and 50's r&b. and i have both Hank Ballard and the Midniters AND Jackie MacLean in my record collection, ya know?

honestly, i got into crunk b/c i bought "put ya hood up" on the day it came out b/c the cover was dope and i knew Lil' Jon from his Capleton "wings of the morning" remix, which was STRAIGHT HIP HOP, fucking "hard to handle" sample and everything... and i loved it... that record sounds like a riot... ill...

as for the cats on here repping southern music and hating on nyc hip hop every moment, give it a rest... you have the foaming at the mouth zeal of the freshly converted... i.e. during the Rawkus thread i was amazed how many dudes were like "i used to own like the whole catalog and now it think it sucks". really? your taste was that different 6 years ago? for real? it's pretty obvious that the zeigiest right now is to be aggresively anti-intellectual, which is fine, but dudes sound like hip hop Chuck Klostermans when you start bashing "backpackers"... me feels you hate it b/c it reminds you of yourself...

Who are you even talking to? Who on here has ever hated on NYC rap?

• 10 on 1.

Yeah that's because all the FOREIGNERS are asleep. It's 3AM here.

Ha but Peace, maybe you should get out of this one because I like the music you promote...

ha ha thanks!

But maybe you should dip now, cause the lawyers are on their 15's.

• promo only

It came into the shop Sunday... I was "well chuffed"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    And don't worry I've got all their shit from 'Making Trouble' onwards, so I'm not dissing 'Little Billy'. Saying that gangster rap was running things was silly. Who bought most of it, pimply white kids I reckon, so I guess they were running things then.

and who do you think is buying all this true school sample based boom bap hip hop?

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    [quote the Kaze LP

Whoa, take it easy. I know the guy and I wasn't even aware it made it east of Alamance County much less Australia. I am in no way entering this argument and have no desire to, that was just a question. I'm just asking because no one around here (his hometown) really checks him. If he's doing his thing overseas I'm glad for him.

• promo only

It came into the shop Sunday... I was "well chuffed"

it was a DJ wl yes?

• And don't worry I've got all their shit from 'Making Trouble' onwards, so I'm not dissing 'Little Billy'. Saying that gangster rap was running things was silly. Who bought most of it, pimply white kids I reckon, so I guess they were running things then.

and who do you think is buying all this true school sample based boom bap hip hop?

me too

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Who are you even talking to? Who on here has ever hated on NYC rap?

everyone...