The Needle Thread (2011 Edition)

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
The Needle Thread (2011 Edition)

So, we haven't done this in a year or so. Right now, I'm in the market for 3 needles: 2 for DJ / mixing usage, plus one more for recording / rippage.

For the DJ setup, I'm kind of torn between the Concorde Nightclub MKII's and the Concorde Q.Bert. Do the Nightclubs put heavy wear on records? The Q.Berts (what I currently have) don't wear down the grooves at all.

For recording, I'm thinking about a Shure Whitelabel.

Is there any new shit that I should be checking for? I don't use Serato.

Comments

• Options
    What with the rippage? And the extra needle to be set-up?

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    had this very query on another forum just recently......I wasted cash on the Ortofon Scratch cartridges before opting to stick with the NC S's (Mk I)

I had been told to go for the Whitelabels. Most of my record spinning is at home these days. Are they really that good?

Word of advice, avoid Stanton

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I heartily endorse White Labels for home usage and DJing that doesn't incorporate scratching.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Risingson said:
    had this very query on another forum just recently......I wasted cash on the Ortofon Scratch cartridges before opting to stick with the NC S's (Mk I)

I had been told to go for the Whitelabels. Most of my record spinning is at home these days. Are they really that good?

I always chime in on these threads since I spend a fair amount of time comparing different set ups and doing transfers.

White Labels are very versatile and generally have less vinyl noise and groove distortion than Night Clubs. They sound good with a wide variety of music, whereas Night Clubs aren't great for acoustic music and some others. I also think WL's are good value for the $$$.

I have used NC's for transfers on occasion if the record I'm working with is flat sounding or lacking in dynamics, though.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    musica said:
    Do the Nightclubs MK2's put heavy wear on records? The Q.Berts (what I currently have) don't wear down the grooves at all.

Can anyone speak for the wear that these cause on records? I do a fair amount of backspinning and don't want to fuck up my records.

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    Great thread!

I use my turntables for (in order of importance):

1. Listening
    2. Sampling
    3. Bed room DJing (I don't scratch)

How suited is the Shure Whitelabel for this purpose? Is this what you will use the whitelabel for as well, musica?

How does the whitelabel compare to the Ortofon Arkiv? The Whitelabel has a spherical stylus while the Arkiv has an elliptical stylus. How does that affect the wear on the records? And the sound? Isnt the elliptical stylus supposed to be superior to the spherical stylus as long as you don't scratch?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Whitelabels only for years now. Always have a pair of brand new spares with me and change them frequently usually after 2-3 gigs. If I have to use more than 3gr of needle weight to prevent skipping, I throw them out after one gig.

Once I had this rumble / bass feedback only from one turntable as soon as I gave it too much volume/bass, I tried everything and then switched out the needle that I had only used for 2 gigs before that and the feedback problem was gone instantly. Since then I've been switching them a lot more frequently. $60 for a pair of needles isn't much money if you play out expensive OGs, always worth it to pay it safe.

However, I still wish that tiny little curved arm you lift them with would better accommodate my German sausage fingers.

I used Ortofon Nightclub before and switched to Whitelabels maybe 8 or 9 years ago. The improvement in sound was so dramatic that even the bartender at my club night noticed and asked what I had done to get the system to sound much better. I also noticed much less or better almost zero queue burns even on styrene 45s as long as you don't overdo it with the tracking force.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Frank said:
    Whitelabels only for years now. Always have a pair of brand new spares with me and change them frequently usually after 2-3 gigs. If I have to use more than 3gr of needle weight to prevent skipping, I throw them out after one gig.

Once I had this rumble / bass feedback only from one turntable as soon as I gave it too much volume/bass, I tried everything and then switched out the needle that I had only used for 2 gigs before that and the feedback problem was gone instantly. Since then I've been switching them a lot more frequently. $60 for a pair of needles isn't much money if you play out expensive OGs, always worth it to pay it safe.

However, I still wish that tiny little curved arm you lift them with would better accommodate my German sausage fingers.

I used Ortofon Nightclub before and switched to Whitelabels maybe 8 or 9 years ago. The improvement in sound was so dramatic that even the bartender at my club night noticed and asked what I had done to get the system to sound much better. I also noticed much less or better almost zero queue burns even on styrene 45s as long as you don't overdo it with the tracking force.

Can you donate your old needles to me, or are they thrashed after your gigs? I'll pay for shipping!

• autoauto 198 Posts
    bump

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anybody have any advice for what are the most forgiving needles as far as less than perfect records? Most of the records I play out nowadays are 50+ years old and some of them have seen some action...

• autoauto 198 Posts
    good question

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

Shure m97xE

Been really happy with this one for listening and recording. Anyone compare this to the white label?

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I use the ortofon red dots as they play a lot more warped records without skipping compared to wider cartridges like the shure pictured above.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    anybody have any advice for what are the most forgiving needles as far as less than perfect records?

As far as what's been discussed here, White Labels for sure.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    anybody have any advice for what are the most forgiving needles as far as less than perfect records? Most of the records I play out nowadays are 50+ years old and some of them have seen some action...

I swear by Shure M44-Gs, and not only because of this. They are fairly cheap, sound great and are gentle with old records, specially styrene. I was actually going to buy the white labels, but I was advised to go with these by someone working for Shure.
    If you scratch or want to Dj with them, you can get the M44-7s, the cartridge is the same and the only difference is higher output and tracking force range.

Cartridge + stylus is $69, which is a great deal if you ask me.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    They're getting a little harder to find, but the Denon DL-110 is the best upgrade I've made to my digitization set-up. Gives nice bass response and warmth in general, and pairs really well with the Technics.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Cosign the whitelabels.

• I am not an audiophile, I had an absolute crap cart (can't remember which) that even had a bit of use to it before it ended up in my hands. From some thread two years ago at HL's insistence on White Labels I picked one up. The difference in sound quality was an aural version of that Wizard of Oz black and white into color moment.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    Dante said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

I swear by Shure M44-Gs, and not only because of this. They are fairly cheap, sound great and are gentle with old records, specially styrene. I was actually going to buy the white labels, but I was advised to go with these by someone working for Shure.
    If you scratch or want to Dj with them, you can get the M44-7s, the cartridge is the same and the only difference is higher output and tracking force range.

completely forget about M 44g's...........6 weeks after I bought mine (years ago), for home use mind you, the stylus was fucked!!!! utmost care was taken, records used were free of grit and damage.....avoid like the plague!

WL's are the biz!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    my ortofon red crapped out
    should i still get whitelabels for recording? (no DJing)
    it's on a systemdek II (kinda audiophile table)

• tokyobeats said:
    Dante said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

completely forget about M 44g's...........6 weeks after I bought mine (years ago), for home use mind you, the stylus was fucked!!!! utmost care was taken, records used were free of grit and damage.....avoid like the plague!

WL's are the biz!
    Never heard of this before. Plus I've used them for a couple years. = they must've been duds

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    Beatsoup said:

Shure m97xE

Been really happy with this one for listening and recording. Anyone compare this to the white label?

cosign.. I do all my vinyl ripping with this. Turntable connected directly into an NI audio 8..

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    Dante said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

WL's are the biz!

That's not true.

In other words: that hasn't happened to me or anyone else I know who uses M44 Gs, so the problem is not in the styli.

just to follow up my earlier post....

had Ortofon Nightclubs for years, fancied a change

wasted $$$ on Stanton's
    wasted $$$ on Ortofon Scratch needles
    wasted $$$ on Shure White Labels (I was really disappointed with these)

went back to Ortofon Nightclubs

double post, apologies

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    M44-7 for gettin busy is the standard! always been, always will be. If you change them frequently and handle proper you wont have any problems. Promised!

for playin out, still this is my favourite:

great fidelity, booming Bass and very gentle to your beloved records. You??ll will also be able to scratch and backspinn with them without causing any harm to the wax. I know many stantons are shit but on these they did a great job. Dont get it twisted with other similar looking models or the white tiped ones, there??s even an updated version which allows for S***** use aswell but the Original SA-890 is the one and only Winner.
    Sadly its getting harder to find the replacement tips (SA-89) as i guess they stopped manufacturing because of the updated version, so if anybody knows a good source to fill up my stack of spare tips would be appreciated.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    doisn said:
    M44-7 for gettin busy is the standard! always been, always will be. If you change them frequently and handle proper you wont have any problems. Promised!

for playin out, still this is my favourite:

great fidelity, booming Bass and very gentle to your beloved records. You??ll will also be able to scratch and backspinn with them without causing any harm to the wax. I know many stantons are shit but on these they did a great job. Dont get it twisted with other similar looking models or the white tiped ones, there??s even an updated version which allows for S***** use aswell but the Original SA-890 is the one and only Winner.
    Sadly its getting harder to find the replacement tips (SA-89) as i guess they stopped manufacturing because of the updated version, so if anybody knows a good source to fill up my stack of spare tips would be appreciated.

I've used this, but still prefer the M44-G/7s.

Great avatar, BTW.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I've been using the M44-7's for years now. I mix and do a bit of scratching here and there and was wondering if there's anything that could offer higher fidelity, but it seems like the price point for the White Labels isn't really justified if the difference is so little.