.....all in all, how do YOU feel about T.R.O.Y.???

2»

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    From that period? You mean like late 80's, early 90's??? Nothing. That era is basicaly shit compared to what's been going on lately in rap. In a nutshell, most rap back then was made for other rappers. Today rap is made for regular people who could give a fuck less about you "eating up 21 emcees at the same time" or some such schitt. Hence, it is more popular and just better today than it was back then.

And my name is not Phill. I'm just using his computer.

Are you on fucking crack? I couldn't disagree with this statement more.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

Classic but I heard that joint too many times.It's become like muzak. Cats throw that on during their "golden era" sets..................................

cosign.

There are like 20-40 songs that you've heard in "claasics" sets for years and years. Over here it's almost at a point where I don't wanna hear boom-bap hip hop in a club anymore because the djs have NO imagination whatsoever. US djs on tour are the worst...

Honorable mentions:
    troy
    talkin all that jazz
    peter piper (cash money... )
    jump around
    early tribe or de la singles
    etc.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    From that period? You mean like late 80's, early 90's??? Nothing. That era is basicaly shit compared to what's been going on lately in rap. In a nutshell, most rap back then was made for other rappers. Today rap is made for regular people who could give a fuck less about you "eating up 21 emcees at the same time" or some such schitt. Hence, it is more popular and just better today than it was back then.

Crack is not that bad, really...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• is

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    is

co-

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    In addition to being one of Pete Rock's best beats, I really feel CL outdid himself on this one.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    all in all, how do YOU feel about T.R.O.Y.???

The bomb. I'd personally say musically more than lyrically, but I dig the rhyme schemes too.

It was definitely a case of when I first heard it.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    my uncle doc's the greatest ... if we're talking bout a car then uncle sterling got the latest???????????

I love this instrumental but believe that all djs should be banned from playing it for six years.
    "'93 till infnity goes so nicely with TROY. then ill bring in scenario followed by chief rocka, then maybe fakin the funk and if I have time, the choice is yours."

• Damn I've always liked that picture... Mase is sucking down a bottle of ketchup...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    TROY = Great song that i need never hear again in this lifetime.

SOULMAN = King of Beats and Sarcasm

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Some of you are on some grumpy old man shit. Since I've yet to exhibit any grumpy old manness in my 31 years of age, I think it's safe to say that I will NEVER grow up to be like you. Thank God for that.

This song is a part of me. "Me" being an average Hip Hop dude. An "average Hip Hop dude" (to me at least) being the person that listened to it ALL BITD. Jiggy, G-Funk, gimmicky, Horrorcore, backpack, Kufi-Hop, Dirty South, "Hip Pop," etc. Who gives a fuck what "they were really saying" back then. I was in my teens, fool, I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS SAYING.

Play this song at a club today and watch how the majority of the over-25'ers react. That one old ass dude in the corner shaking his head and rolling his eyes? That's you. The fuck your old ass dude doing in the club anydamnways?! Chaperoning? Go home. The ladies think you're creepy. One of 'em SWEARS your her Dad's friend. Us young at heart? Shit, we gonna hunch one of the young bunch tonight.

Digger Phelps, in the words of Paco, "FUCK THESE OTHER VATOS, HOLMES!" Like you said, why click the thread, Fred? Some of these dudes have nothing but negativity, time and ignorant bosses, so you KNOW they're gonna throw their 2 cents everywhere they can. To think, if they'd pinch them pennies they'd ease up on the nonsense.

Damn, I'm venting like a motherhubbard tonight. That's what I get for letting this place get to me. Try to "disappear" from here - not by leaving, but by reading threads daily and NOT responding - and damn if this frustration doesn't bottle up. Dudes picking on O-Dub for his review selections, crazy ass PC shit, weak ass "quality control," the same ol' fly-infested, rotten ass beef.. Fools CANNOT be this negative in real life.

And by the way, there's a new interview with Large Pro in the current issue of WhateverWhatever magazine. He kills the rumor by stating that he simply GAVE Pete Rock the album. (He may have showed him the sample, too. I can't remember.)

Herm

P.S. As always, I HEART SOULSTRUT.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Some of you are on some grumpy old man shit. Since I've yet to exhibit any grumpy old manness in my 31 years of age, I think it's safe to say that I will NEVER grow up to be like you. Thank God for that.

This song is a part of me. "Me" being an average Hip Hop dude. An "average Hip Hop dude" (to me at least) being the person that listened to it ALL BITD. Jiggy, G-Funk, gimmicky, Horrorcore, backpack, Kufi-Hop, Dirty South, "Hip Pop," etc. Who gives a fuck what "they were really saying" back then. I was in my teens, fool, I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS SAYING.

Play this song at a club today and watch how the majority of the over-25'ers react. That one old ass dude in the corner shaking his head and rolling his eyes? That's you. The fuck your old ass dude doing in the club anydamnways?! Chaperoning? Go home. The ladies think you're creepy. One of 'em SWEARS your her Dad's friend. Us young at heart? Shit, we gonna hunch one of the young bunch tonight.

Digger Phelps, in the words of Paco, "FUCK THESE OTHER VATOS, HOLMES!" Like you said, why click the thread, Fred? Some of these dudes have nothing but negativity, time and ignorant bosses, so you KNOW they're gonna throw their 2 cents everywhere they can. To think, if they'd pinch them pennies they'd ease up on the nonsense.

Damn, I'm venting like a motherhubbard tonight. That's what I get for letting this place get to me. Try to "disappear" from here - not by leaving, but by reading threads daily and NOT responding - and damn if this frustration doesn't bottle up. Dudes picking on O-Dub for his review selections, crazy ass PC shit, weak ass "quality control," the same ol' fly-infested, rotten ass beef.. Fools CANNOT be this negative in real life.

And by the way, there's a new interview with Large Pro in the current issue of WhateverWhatever magazine. He kills the rumor by stating that he simply GAVE Pete Rock the album. (He may have showed him the sample, too. I can't remember.)

Herm

P.S. As always, I HEART SOULSTRUT.

• Por Favor Believe That!

Herm

uhh... is this directed at me?

• This forum is weird, you can pick any old shitty record from 30 years ago and there will be a bunch of people saying "yeah that's dope" being all quirky and stuff trying to act as if some of this bad music is classics we've all slept on. Then it comes to hip hop, it seems like every single track or album considered to be classic always has the bandwagon who rip it apart.
    Not that it bothers me... i find it quite funny actually, i just think it's strange...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This forum is weird, you can pick any old shitty record from 30 years ago and there will be a bunch of people saying "yeah that's dope" being all quirky and stuff trying to act as if some of this bad music is classics we've all slept on. Then it comes to hip hop, it seems like every single track or album considered to be classic always has the bandwagon who rip it apart.
    Not that it bothers me... i find it quite funny actually, i just think it's strange...

Don't you know? It's cool to dis the things you grew up on.
    It makes you more "grown and sexual chocolate".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This forum is weird, you can pick any old shitty record from 30 years ago and there will be a bunch of people saying "yeah that's dope" being all quirky and stuff trying to act as if some of this bad music is classics we've all slept on. Then it comes to hip hop, it seems like every single track or album considered to be classic always has the bandwagon who rip it apart.

Don't you know? It's cool to dis the things you grew up on.
    It makes you more "grown and sexual chocolate".

Everyone loves this record but, really, what is left to say about it?

Great record.

Tired topic for discussion.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I completely agree, this thread was unnecessary. That's like asking "all in all, how do you feel about food?"

I'm talking moreso about the overall sentiment people exhibit on here at times.

There's no denying people enjoy to bash classics and the way they used to be.

Maybe getting older and seeing your former self reflected by some "undaground" doofus is too hard for some fools to take so they dive into whatever is "realest" now.

Or, they just like that shit.

Whatever the case is, I agree with El Sparko that it's strange to see, knowing some peoples backgrounds on here.

I am so confused by this whole thread.

To surmise:

1. People that like TROY are hipster.
    2. People that dislike TROY are too-hip.

• I am so confused by this whole thread.

will the REAL phill most please stand up??

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

the first and last time we'll be in agreement.

will the REAL phill most please stand up??

I would like to... but it seems that I have misplaced my kufi.

• Everyone loves this record but, really, what is left to say about it?

Great record.

then why click thread!? just move on...i dont know...thats wut i do

• Because there are many semi-obsessive compulsives who can't stand looking at a thread title staring at them in bold dark blue letters when ALL the rest are light. These people have been known just to click the thread title and then press backspace just so that it comes up as having been read...
    I KNOW these people exist... i'm the trailblazer here, it's safe to at admit it, we won't laugh at you.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

then why click thread!? just move on...i dont know...thats wut i do

Yo,

I think I remeber you from VE, if I'm not mistaken. Wassup. Don't think that this thread was inappropriate. I'm not gonna diss someone for their enthusiamsm & its not like he's cluttering ther board w/ a million threads that are bogus. Its actually nice to see a thread devoid of politics & race. I love the song, by the way. Will never tire of it. Play that shit @ my wake.

peace

h