Sleep Music

asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I used to fall asleep to anything, now I need something REAL MELLOW.I like someand some and some Y'all listen to music when you sleep?- A

Comments

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    it can be nice....i'm a REALLY light sleeper so i usually wake up when there's an abrupt change and/or the music ends. but the main thing is no drums.

some yo yo ma (i'm being serious), or my favorite,
    ravi shankar & ali akhbar khan "ragas" lp on fantasy. worth checking out regardless of your state of consciousness

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Ive gotten into a routine somehow where I make "playlists" before I go to bed haha.. usually I get so caught up in making these things that I cant sleep before listening to all of it, so I try not to go anymore that 30 minutes of music because it can get hard to stay awake hahahha.

I like having same ambient type stuff on, or anything real minimal ha

Ahmad Szabo - This Book is About Words

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    john cage's string quartet.
    anything on windham hill.

• STEVE HALPERN

STEVE HALPERN
    dont forget Michael Stearns.

• les baxter - SACRED IDOL. peace, stein. . .

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

goldmund - corduroy road

• awallawall 673 Posts
    STEVE HALPERN
    fuck yeah.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    lately, every fennesz album on random. and some slowdive.

• I used to sleep with music everynight, hip-hop, jazz, whatever... Now I rarely do, and can only really get down at night with ambient type shit.

Brain Eno, Music For Airports

Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2

Boards of Canada, Geogaddi

I feel asleep with this on, listening to "the devil is in the details". I did not know the name of the song, but I had dumped this in my shuffle... Thought it would be great to sleep too, because it's very relaxing... Had the worst nightmares of being in hell, first time in life! So now, after learning the title, I'm convinced there is some heavy subliminal trickery going on in that song. Still love it though.

Peace...

FNM

• i used to listen to denali almost every night for months.

such a good voice and so cute.

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts

A little too short, but better BOC bedtime music, IMHO.[/b]

Another album: Twang Twang Shockaboom from Austin Texas on tape called "Me So Twangy". The B-side is sublime. I can burn you a copy if you like. Peace.

I feel asleep with this on, listening to "the devil is in the details". I did not know the name of the song, but I had dumped this in my shuffle... Thought it would be great to sleep too, because it's very relaxing... Had the worst nightmares of being in hell, first time in life! So now, after learning the title, I'm convinced there is some heavy subliminal trickery going on in that song. Still love it though.

Peace...

FNM

Don't know if you are familiar, but BOC are well known for incorporating an incalculable number of subliminal messages into their songs. Peace.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

music has the right to children is far superior

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I also need music to get to sleep. I mostly listen to weird electronic library stuff, John Carpenter Soundtracks, some selected sci-fi/mystery soundtracks and all the spectre ( from the wordsound label) stuff.

• Damn, I didn't know this...

Just looked it uo online, here's from a page that has gathered shit from geogaddi:

Why are there references to the devil (god with horns) and David Koresh? Are Boards of Canada glossing over the Branch Davidian cult in the song, "In A Beautiful Place..."? Are these subliminal messages there to convince us to join another Heaven's Gate? Also, what about the year 1969? Is it fair to say that they're referring to Charles Manson? If that's the case, what's with Boards of Canada, cults, and backwards-recorded references to the devil?

I think that these subliminal messages are there to add to the general mystique of their albums. Xer0 said it best when he said that Geogaddi evokes childhood - a time when it was easy to dream and have nightmares. BoC want the intended effect of simultaneous comfort and discomfort. The lush music creates the former and the references create the latter. Perhaps BoC scoff at the way Koresh and his Branch Davidians were portraryed as lunatics after the Waco Massacre. Perhaps allusions to such cultish figures in their otherwise soothing music mean BoC believe that society shouldn't detach itself from its most "interesting" figures. This doesn't mean that they sympathize for Koresh or Manson or are prompting us to join a cult. All in all, it's just music.

"...when he said that Geogaddi evokes childhood - a time when it was easy to dream and have nightmares."

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts

cosign phillip glass..

Forgot this one and damn is it good.
    Bo Hanson -- Lord of the Rings. Listen to this and dream of elves, wizards, rolling green fields, shadowfax, misty mountains and caves. Recommended dreaming music.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon is and always will be the Citizen Kane of sleep music.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    no sleep music in a long while
    but
    way back in the day, coming in from a hard night of dj-ing or concert going,
    nothing was better than slipping in the ol 8 track & sleeping with that non-stop loop
    1978-80 was an 8 track buyers market, had a great selection of fusion jazz, reggae
    or roxy music to choose from
    but
    King Crimson "Lizard" was the best
    i knew where each channel changing click would interupt the song
    + that was ok

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

All three of their records are great, nice and mellow.