Camp Lo

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I just revisited this album for the first time in ages and was surprised by how much I was feeling it.

What does the Strut think?

I need to know whether I am on the right side of this crucial issue.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You are. Great production. Adequate rapz.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    That first record is phenomenal, and their second record--while straight-to-milk-carton--Changed My Life??. It's definitely not for everyone, though.

(p.s.: this may be very old news, faux, but I just read the other day that Jay-Z's memoirs are coming out next month, and were written with an assist from your girl and mine, the one formerly known as dream hampton. I am backhandedly curious.)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Great album. Ski killed it on the production. Dynasty and Curtis all day........

This was dope too........

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Alright

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Luchini is my JAM.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    james said:
    dream hampton

:shitty:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah you're on the right side dude. They have always been both really good and kind of ahead of the curve while at the same time never really straying far from their distinctive formula. There are joints that they've put out a few years ago that were really smacking that didn't really sound like rehash at all. I haven't listened to that album in a while but maybe time to revisit it off off of your say-so...

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    they were ok - i have them filed under one hit wonders with above average production.
    I ride harder for this

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    They're no High & Mighty, that's for sure.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    LOVE Uptown Saturday Night.... 1996 raps... great memories. Sonny Chiba... Geechi Suede.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    They're no High & Mighty, that's for sure.

I dont ride

bw

You must know Milo Berger. Any asshurtedness there?

• Reynaldo said:
    Luchini is my JAM.

uptown is the perfect party album

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Weren't you the guy who posted up the High & Mighty Youtube in "Keep It Real" thread? Anyway, yeah I know both those guys, what's the issue?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    staxwax said:
    they were ok - i have them filed under one hit wonders with above average production.
    I ride harder for this

Wow u know the sample - pat your self on the back.

Is your history of Hip Hop only in MTV form?

They had more than one hit during their run.

• batmon said:
    staxwax said:
    I ride harder for this

Wow u know the sample - pat your self on the back.

Is your history of Hip Hop only in MTV form?

They had more than one hit during their run.

camp lo is really far from one hit wonders, the whole album is solid, i remember all the other singles getting much play too (even in europe) when it came out

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    pretty much anytime something incredible happens or good news comes my way the Luchini intro goes off in my head.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Line it up in the Luchini!! Big fan.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ski killed it on that album. Lyrically, there's a lot of non-sensical babble but it's well-executed babble. I ride.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Uptown Saturday Night has always been a classic to me.

many positive elements surrounding this pic.

whoa.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ski definitely killed it on this album--and as a whole, the album has aged much better than I thought it would. "Swing" still bangs hard.

• Here's a fun drinking game you can play we made up on the MT tour.

Every time they say something PAUSE worthy or outright, well, shall we say, ummm how do say this.. Bromantic, malerotic etc, take a small sip of your drank.

Garaunteed wastedness halfway through the album, well before te gay sword of zorro, creamy manhandling and "cmon, f*** that dude - f**** that dude f*** that dude"

GICHI GICHI INDEED!

I'm just saying, it's one thing to say something in a freestyle, another thing to write it in a rhymebook, and a WHOLE other thing to record it AND overdub it.

A good record nonetheless.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    james said:
    That first record is phenomenal, and their second record--while straight-to-milk-carton--Changed My Life??. It's definitely not for everyone, though.

(p.s.: this may be very old news, faux, but I just read the other day that Jay-Z's memoirs are coming out next month, and were written with an assist from your girl and mine, the one formerly known as dream hampton. I am backhandedly curious.)

Yeah, I'll confess to sharing your curiosity. Not enough to buy the book, but enough that I will likely click on any excerpts poasted on Amazon.

Were the two subsequent efforts also produced by Ski? I remember being told that they had a regional hit in North Carolina about ten years ago, which makes some sense, since I believe Ski was living down there at the time.

SIDENOTE: Back then I used to know this dude who straight-up adored them. Like he had been waiting his whole life for a group to come along that epitomized his worldview and aesthetic, and they were it. He used to get worked up at anybody who dared offer a critical thought, like "WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT? NO REALLY, I JUST NEED TO KNOW: WHY WOULD YOU EVER SAY THAT?" I also recall that his primary mode of transportation was a set of rollerblades.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    "Swing" still bangs hard.

I remember early on they were getting compared to/accused of biting Ish/Butterfly, so they went and did a cut with him, which put their differences into clearer relief. I always think shit like that (e.g. "The Originators") is a smart move, or at least illustrative.

And for the sake of broadening the palette: Something newer, and something older that may or may not get batmon's Coogi in a twist.

batmon said:
    Alright

What, you don't souffle, suga?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's all about "Sparklin."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    I just revisited this album for the first time in ages and was surprised by how much I was feeling it.

What does the Strut think?

I need to know whether I am on the right side of this crucial issue.

I've not listened to it for a while myself, but I remember it being one of those records that had a very broad appeal, and there didn't seem to be all that many of those around at that particular time.

Luchini is, of course, deathless

• faux_rillz said:
    SIDENOTE: Back then I used to know this dude who straight-up adored them. Like he had been waiting his whole life for a group to come along that epitomized his worldview and aesthetic, and they were it. He used to get worked up at anybody who dared offer a critical thought, like "WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT? NO REALLY, I JUST NEED TO KNOW: WHY WOULD YOU EVER SAY THAT?" I also recall that his primary mode of transportation was a set of rollerblades.

LOL we had that dude out here too. Kind of ruined my Campaloa experience. I was more "what?" than "This is it!"