Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I'm hyped for this. I guess film clip licensing rights and editing are holding it from release

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "smash his camera"

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Electrode said:
    I'm hyped for this. I guess film clip licensing rights and editing are holding it from release

I had OG rental VHS tapes of all of these movies in my collection back in the late 80s/early 90s, including all of the rare and/or banned titles. There were some seriously fun and demented ones. I remember a scene where Henry Silva was violently banging the broad of some mob boss while shoving her faceforward into the opened body of a freshly slaughtered pig. Various castration scenes come to mind, blowtorch torture, disembowelment by shotgun and other hearty gore. Great to see there's some inerest out there for this gloriously exploitive shit. Hopefully they'll put out DVD re-issues of these movies, there'd definitely enough for a king size box set.

As far as recently watched documentaries go:

I thought that Restrepo was more on the boring side (What? You didn't know you'll be shot at and might very well be crippled or killed before signing up to "be all that you can be"?).

Catfish was sort of fun with fairly high cringe-factor but not nearly as entertaining as Talhotblond.

The Winnebago Man was a good one but what's up with this trend of documentary film makers inserting themselves in the picture and story?

Oliver Stone's South Of The Border was informative and uplifting.

• DOUBLE POST

• Possum Tom said:
    "smash his camera"

If you liked this one, check out "Bill Cunningham New York". He's a much more endearing figure than Ron Galella -- a true ascetic amid the swirl of celebrity and high fashion.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I actually enjoyed galella because he wasn't endearing. He was pretty much a scumbag, with no artistic motives whatsoever. I've been calling bullshit on photographers for years, and it pretty much backed me up against countless friends who disagree.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I actually enjoyed galella because he wasn't endearing. He was pretty much a scumbag, with no artistic motives whatsoever. I've been calling bullshit on photographers for years, and it pretty much backed me up against countless friends who disagree.

• Possum Tom said:

Yeah, Galella's scumbaggery is what made "Smash HIs Camera" so entertaining. Bill Cunningham is the yang to Galella's yin. A true gentleman with an almost monk-like devotion to his work. I saw both films back to back at a film festival. Each film made me appreciate the other even more!

• chasechase 767 Posts
    caught this on netflix, train wreck you can't look away from

• chase crusher said:
    caught this on netflix, train wreck you can't look away from

I watched this last night, good description of it. I felt that by the end I had pretty much zero compassion for any of the characters in the film (except for their kids) in their self created cycles of violence and drug abuse. Giving birth to a child, snorting coke in the hospital room shortly after then whinging when CPS decides to keep the baby was a bit much.

It is kinda sad that they actually shot a documentary glorifying these inbred redneck mountain trash.

• This will make you bust a space nut

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Frank said:

I had OG rental VHS tapes of all of these movies in my collection back in the late 80s/early 90s, including all of the rare and/or banned titles. There were some seriously fun and demented ones.

My interest in this sub-genre exploded over the past five years or so when I have found lots of tapes from the 80s of these movies (often pan-and-scanned and edited for violence/sex to make them suitable for potential U.S. late-night TV broadcast, I guess) being unloaded at the thrift stores, near where rental places have closed shop and liquidated their inventories due to DVD technology and Netflix competition. It's amazing how many home video versions and titles there are of certain Italian movies, depending on the distributing country, making English speaking fans go crazy with trying to find "definitive" version(s) of certain ones. Companies like No Shame, Blue Underground, Raro and Anchor Bay have been doing a fantastic job of giving these wide-screen, digital makeovers with special features. However, many rights holders and licensees are still being stingy, prompting the savvy and resourceful to make composite boots (ex.: getting the English language soundtrack off a South African VHS, which has distracting Dutch subtitles, and dubbing it over the video of a European DVD w/ no English language option).

I remember a scene where Henry Silva was violently banging the broad of some mob boss while shoving her faceforward into the opened body of a freshly slaughtered pig.
    Cry Of A Prostitute (Quelli che contano or "Those That Count") w/ Barbara Bouchet.

Various castration scenes come to mind
    Ricco w/ Christopher Mitchum and, again, Barbara Bouchet

blowtorch torture
    Bloody Hands Of The Law w/ Klaus Kinski

Anyhow, I visit www.pollanetsquad.it and www.lovelockandload.com frequently. Both are fantastic sites for fans.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Man on Wire...
    One of the best movies I've seen in the last few years, documentary or not.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    cpeetz said:
    Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Man on Wire...
    One of the best movies I've seen in the last few years, documentary or not.

Forgot about this one. Watched it a few years on Christmas. Incredible and insane--may have to watch it again. Thank you for reminding me!

"impossible!"

• Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    This will make you bust a space nut

wow!!!

thanks so much for ahem shining a light on this one. downloaded the torrent and watched tonight, holy crap what an amazing film. multiple space orgasms.

seriously recommended to anyone remotely interested in space/moon/science/mankind

so many beautiful images; i wish i could see this in a real theater. all original footage was remastered in HD and looks stunning. filmmakers did an outstanding job of piecing everything together in the editing and production.

• willie_fugal said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    This will make you bust a space nut

wow!!!

thanks so much for ahem shining a light on this one. downloaded the torrent and watched tonight, holy crap what an amazing film. multiple space orgasms.

seriously recommended to anyone remotely interested in space/moon/science/mankind

so many beautiful images; i wish i could see this in a real theater. all original footage was remastered in HD and looks stunning. filmmakers did an outstanding job of piecing everything together in the editing and production.

Cool man.

I was blown away by it too. Especially how much it puts life on earth into context.

If life ever gets stressful, this one is the perfect antidote.

Man on Wire (mentioned above) was dynamite too.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I didn't see this one recently and it doesn't have much, or any, space/moon/science. But it does have mankind.

Kim Jong-Il's Comedy Club
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qpk0g

Kim Jong-Il's Comedy Club (BBC4) is a weird and wonderful thing. Three Danes ??? one film-maker and two comedians ??? are allowed into North Korea, supposedly to put on a theatre show, but really to make a film about trying to put on a theatre show. Obviously they are assigned a team of minders to make sure they only see what they're supposed to see, as well as a team of theatre directors, to ensure their performance is acceptable to the state. But, by giving them only what Kim Jong- Il wants, they inadvertently provide the Danes with what they want, too.

It's a brave thing to do, to shake total- itarianism by the hand, then pull out at the last minute and cock a snook at it instead. But the result is terrific ??? both a telling portrait of what it's like to live in fear, and also a hilarious scam that Sacha Baron Cohen would be proud of. The highlight is when they manage to take part in one of those extraordinary, massive marches they go in for over there. One of the Danes is in a wheelchair (a rare sight in North Korea: there are no disabled people), and they shuffle along awkwardly between massive battalions of human obedience, three specks of grit in a well-oiled machine.

• Prove per una tragedia siciliana by John Turturro
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1499300/

Great documentary about a Turturro's journey back to his own deep roots to Sicily and its cultural features, very recommended!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    No idea how long this will be up, but it's a film about Kate Bush's one and only UK tour in 1979. I'd forgotten just how dingy 70's England was. Interesting to note how just about every male in the film has the same haircut/stache/throat-beard combo.

• Sketches of Frank Gehry by Sidney Pollack is very good as well.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446784/

Here's a trailer

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Another look at 1970s Britain in this film about a group of British Hell's Angels.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I wanna check this out. Anyone seen it yet?

BURN - A documentary about Detroit firefighters

On Detroit as well, I did check out Johnny Knoxville explores the city.

http://www.palladiumboots.com/exploration/detroit

• Okem said:

If you haven't seen it, go watch it now.

Made by TIm Hetherington, the same dude who made the extraordinary & insightful 'The Devil Came on Horseback' & Liberia: An Uncivil War.

what is with the crazy red beards on some of these Afghan elders?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    GASLAND

• Just to merge this thread with the Machete one. Watched this the other day.

Fascinating insight into Danny Trejo's life.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Worth mentioning:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Some good music docs:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Okem said:

If you haven't seen it, go watch it now.

Made by TIm Hetherington, the same dude who made the extraordinary & insightful 'The Devil Came on Horseback' & Liberia: An Uncivil War.

what is with the crazy red beards on some of these Afghan elders?
    Yer, Afghans / Pashtuns are an interesting ethnic group, light skin or dark skinned, blue, green or brown eyes, various hair colours including bright red, that turns black with age then grey, but the red comes back out in the beard.

Real center of the ancient world type ish.

• been digging the "Wild China" series...

for those who have seen the Rush documentary...where in the hell did the professionaly shot footage of a teenage Alex Lifeson arguing with his parents about not wanting to finish high school and be in a band come from...why in the hell was that being shot?