Diggers: The New Colonialists ?

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    very cool. More mountains of butthurt all round.

Reynaldo should send a cease and desist for his map

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jealousy is a powerful drug.

• this article =

b/w

there is no way im going to read the comment section....

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    The map is pretty funny. Someone should make a U.S. map and highlight the colonial territories of notable regional diggeurs.

• The comments section is like a who's-who of the game. Will, Frank, Chris and Samy all get theirs and I haven't even finished.

I'll have a new auction up tonight, after which I'm sure I'll have the time to interject. :smirk:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    this article =

b/w

I'd read it if I were you. Guy gets his ass handed to him about a half-dozen times.

• DocMcCoy said:
    DustedDon said:
    this article =

b/w

I'd read it if I were you. Guy gets his ass handed to him about a half-dozen times.

Yeah, the comment section is way more worthwhile than the article itself.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm in as far as this:

To talk about colonialism really show the ignorance of someone who probably was one of the first to click on a rapidshare file and then decides to waste our time. I just saw Frank talking about an certain EP with a Poly-Rythmo track Chief Bioma supposedly released, thats good to know cause I have just received an email from Melome Clement the founder of the band (I??m explaining cause Chief Boima might not know). In that mail Melome??s explained that he was sitting in a train in the sleeping cabin heading towards spain. The bed above him was not properly blocked and it fell together with the weight of the sleeping passenger on Melome??s head. The email I received from him was to ask me to forward his royalties as soon as possible for medical treatment and to replace the teeth he had lost in that incident. Boima if you wish to forward some of the cash from your release to him let me know and I send you his email, mine is : info@analogafrica.com???be a chief!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    DustedDon said:

Big mistake to miss the comment section.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It's all about the comments section.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    SportCasual said:

It was Rey that did the map right? Why must that blogger steal American culture like that?

I was surprised the strut wasn't really brought up. Or the whole debate of certain strutters comp/licensing fall out.

The only interesting thing to me really was seeing people respond to their names being mentioned. Interesting to read their thoughts on the subject and their experiences in the search of music.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Great discussion.

• DOR said:

I was surprised the strut wasn't really brought up.

Believe it or not, "the strut" is not on most people's radars

• Yeah, stupid, poorly-argued article, followed by a few decent comments (I have a lot of free time to read at my job:). One argument I didn't see made in the whole messy/silly "cultural heritage" debate is whether a neglected piece of one country's culture that's studied/saved from near-total obscurity/preserved from physical decay/finally given wide distrubution, etc. by another country's culture doesn't in a way "belong" as much to the latter as to the former. Lots of examples come to mind: Northern Soul in 60's/70's UK, American cinema in 50's France, Atget by 20's/30's Americans, etc. Obviously, Afrobeat/Afrofunk "belong" to the culture that birthed them, but given the neglect of this part of their culture in W. Africa today I would say it's as much, if not more, "ours" (i.e. diggers') at this point.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Where is Frank? I have not seen him on the new 'Strut.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    musica said:
    Great discussion.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty illuminating too, especially when, one by one, just about every big hitter in the African archival/reissue game all stepped up to the plate to say their bit. Really, all it needed was for Nick Gold or Martin Meissonier to chip in, and you'd have had the complete set.

• DOR said:
    SportCasual said:

It was Rey that did the map right? Why must that blogger steal American culture like that?

I was surprised the strut wasn't really brought up. Or the whole debate of certain strutters comp/licensing fall out.

The only interesting thing to me really was seeing people respond to their names being mentioned. Interesting to read their thoughts on the subject and their experiences in the search of music.

exactly, this usurpation must not go unchecked. this aggression will not stand.
    also, what ended up happening with the epic Kon and Amir vs. Frank battle of '09? did they work it out? or did they work it out in the courts?

• sorry, double post

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    DOR said:

I was surprised the strut wasn't really brought up.

Believe it or not, "the strut" is not on most people's radars

Naw, I get that. I just mean that with this subject coming up on the strut quite a few times in the past (being discussed) and the map coming from here...

And with that whole "strutters comp/licensing fall out" deal.... I know plenty of other boards linked to it, which in turn bought out some talk about this subject on those boards.

• musica said:
    Great discussion.

frank is way too sensitive however.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    PAY ME!

• bigchalz said:
    DOR said:
    SportCasual said:

exactly, this usurpation must not go unchecked. this aggression will not stand.
    also, what ended up happening with the epic Kon and Amir vs. Frank battle of '09? did they work it out? or did they work it out in the courts?

It's resolved.

BBE realized (finally) that I am the license holder and we worked out a standard arrangement. Way too much BS in between, however. It didn't go to court.

Kon and Amir were never the problem.

Wait... Horseleech = Frank? Or Horseleech, this was a project with Frank?

I'm always confused with all the strut name changes over the years. I have no idea who is who most of the time.

• DOR said:
    Or Horseleech, this was a project with Frank?

This.

Frank and I (Academy) are working on a series of releases, the first of which was the Lagos Disco Inferno comp. We're also doing the Psychedelic Aliens, the first two Marijatas, the Simigwa, the Freedom Family, and some 45s.

• Horseleech said:
    DOR said:

This.

Frank and I (Academy) are working on a series of releases, the first of which was the Lagos Disco Inferno comp. We're also doing the Psychedelic Aliens, the first two Marijatas, the Simigwa, the Freedom Family, and some 45s.

colonialist!

jk, keep up the good work Horseleech, it's appreciated.

Ahh right ;)

• willie_fugal said:
    Horseleech said:
    DOR said:

This.

colonialist!

jk, keep up the good work Horseleech, it's appreciated.

Thanks, WF, good to know.

It's an incredible amount of work for no money, but totally worth it.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    reading the comment sections made me leave with mixed feelings.

• When I saw the map at the top i thought this was pretty funny (as Reynaldo intended - right?). When I started reading the article I thought it was an parody that missed a few comic opportunites. Only when I read the comments at the end did I realise that this was intended as a serious critique of digging in Africa. What total bullshit. It's all a mixed @ucked up bag any way - would Afrobeat have been the same without Kuti's exposure to James Brown in funk in the late 60s? Patronising cultural protectionism from bleeding-heart liberals.

Please when you're over here diggin' up Euro beats, DO NOT, in a guilt-ridden fit of neo-colonialist shame unearth french accordian folk, English morris dancing shanties or, god forbid Polish polka crap (unless funky). Ignore our indigenous culture - it sucks. Please exploit, mis-represent and appropriate, preferably on large multi national labels with MacDonalds-like distribution

• tabira said:

Please when you're over here diggin up Euro beats, DO NOT, in a guilt-ridden fit of neo-colonialist shame unearth french accordian folk, English morris dancing shanties or god Polish polka crap (unless funky). Ignore our indigenous culture - it sucks. Please exploit, mis-represent and appropriate, preferably on large multi national labels with MacDonalds-like distribution