MONSTER

cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central

*updated video link

i don't not like it? did nicki minaj just out rap everyone? a kanye/jay ep? maybe we are in the future?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I like it. I'm curious how the Bon Iver connection came about,though - looking at it on paper, you'd think some shit like this was a&r'ed by Pitchfork.

Also, I think Nicki Minaj is good. Not "good by the present diminished and less demanding standards", or "good for a girl" or "good if you don't really like rap", but good as in "entertaining".

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    DARIUS RUCKER IN CONCERT.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Luv it

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    :talib:

^^^listens to ill bill, lloyd banks and chino xl

• :face_melt: :feelin_it: :woah:

Minaj killed it...

• Crap

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Has the link to the clip changed? This is an old eighies tune?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    leon said:
    Has the link to the clip changed? This is an old eighies tune?

Whoa! Awesome! Weird, but awesome.

• Yeah it loads that other song. Not knowing who Bon Iver is I listened for about 3 minutes until I was like this can't be the right song.

Edit: It seems like there are multiple incorrect songs attached to this video. I just noticed the one posted above. The one I heard was some slow jammer moody song.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Uhg - I just can't abide by Minaj's delivery. Just rap without the gimmicky dramatics already! She'll have two lines where she's ripping it and then suddenly it all falls apart...so frustrating. If she's good, and she does have some great lines, then she doesn't need to channel Ari Up by way of Lil Wayne and Toni Basil - just rap.
    Or move to JA, immerse immerse immerse and come back as a dancehall artist. That, I think she'll be quite good at.

I love her temper tantrum raps. It's obviously a big part of her appeal. Kinda cute too (though if she did that in everyday conversation I'd tell her to shut up and act like a grown up!). Do you not like when Busta, Missy, etc do it either?

Herm said:
    Do you not like when Busta, Missy, etc do it either?

No, not really. The cartoon-y thing is not my thing.

^^NOT A TRUE FU-SCHNICK^^

• Man, Kanye is kind of beasting on this.

And I ride for Nicki Minaj. She is styling chopping hoard.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Man, Kanye is kind of beasting on this.

And I ride for Nicki Minaj. She is styling chopping hoard.

I think everyone (except ROSS) has a some real tight moments on this - even Jay, later in his verse. But Nicki is just playing with so many styles...

Bassie - I get that it can be annoying when rappers go cartoon (Eminem is the best and worst example of this at various points in his career), but I also think it's a reflection of the sad fact that female rappers who are "just good" get no love from the masses. Nicki has figured out how to impress people, and I'm glad she's being excessive about it.

I get that she has to come twice as hard and be completely outrageous to stand out, it just doesn't sound good to me. I wish her success, but I don't necessarily want to listen to her achieve it.

Edit - I should say, I think most artists have to bring it strange to stand out, the "just good" female emcee thing applies and doesn't imo.

bassie said:
    Uhg - I just can't abide by Minaj's delivery. Just rap without the gimmicky dramatics already! She'll have two lines where she's ripping it and then suddenly it all falls apart...so frustrating. If she's good, and she does have some great lines, then she doesn't need to channel Ari Up by way of Lil Wayne and Toni Basil - just rap.

I have gradually come around to Nicki.

I can't get with all of her stuff--"Your Love" is downright grating to me--but as the boy Noz pointed out elsewhere, this concept and track is the perfect platform for her. I think she pretty much kills it by coming with a new monster voice every few lines.

Sidenote: who would have predicted circa College Dropout that Kanye would one day be bodying Jay on every track they appear on together? Or that you'd force yourself to listen to a Jay track just to hear Kanye.

Maybe - maybe - if what she does on this track was fresh, I could get behind it. But right now, it's Nicki's monster voice, riffing on her valley girl/Lil Wayne/tuff gyal/etc. voices we've already been hearing.
    I'm just not there yet with her.

I like that people are finally starting to like/appreciate her. Seems like a lot of my Facebook friends that were hating on her a few months ago are now happily posting her new videos and songs like "Nikki's killing it on this!" It ain't even like she changed her style! I heard a freestyle she did some 2-3 years ago and she was doing the same cutesy growl voice.

I like that people are finally starting to like/appreciate her. Seems like a lot of my Facebook friends that were hating on her a few months ago are now happily posting her new videos and songs like "Nikki's killing it on this!" It ain't even like she changed her style! I heard a freestyle she did some 2-3 years ago and she was doing the same cutesy growl voice.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Sidenote: who would have predicted circa College Dropout that Kanye would one day be bodying Jay on every track they appear on together? Or that you'd force yourself to listen to a Jay track just to hear Kanye.

it's true.

but jay has periods of greatness on this. actually, everyone's verse gets better with repeated listens...again, except ross.

there are a lot of rick ross fans on here - is he better than this?

bassie said:
    Maybe - maybe - if what she does on this track was fresh, I could get behind it. But right now, it's Nicki's monster voice, riffing on her valley girl/Lil Wayne/tuff gyal/etc. voices we've already been hearing.

So you want to hear her do new monster voices?

• one thing I really appreciate about Nicki Minaj is her heavy NY/Queens accent. You rarely hear that anymore.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    one thing I really appreciate about Nicki Minaj is her heavy NY/Queens accent. You rarely hear that anymore.

Wait--that's not a monster voice?

faux_rillz said:
    bassie said:

So you want to hear her do new monster voices?

lol
    Nah - I'm fine with her regular voice.

• A lot of people hate Nicki because of their own baggage. They project stereotypes on her w/out actually listening to her rap. True rap fans can't deny her skills.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    :feelin_it:

Minaj killed it...

• faux_rillz said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    one thing I really appreciate about Nicki Minaj is her heavy NY/Queens accent. You rarely hear that anymore.

Wait--that's not a monster voice?

"It's going deaown, baysement!"