MONSTER

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    A lot of people hate Nicki because of their own baggage. They project stereotypes on her w/out actually listening to her rap. True rap fans can't deny her skills.

Or they wish she didn't bury her skills under a gimmick.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    A lot of people hate Nicki because of their own baggage. They project stereotypes on her w/out actually listening to her rap. True rap fans can't deny her skills.

I was saying elsewhere a while ago that a lot of the people who criticise her would cheerfully flip over exactly the same kind of bizarre non-sequiturs and cartoon surrealism when someone like Kool Keith is spitting 'em.

• Hard for me to listen to her after she rhymed "candy store" with "todd-lore" [toddler].

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Late pass on this as been away from the web for a few days but I'm liking this a lot, first thing I've heard from Kanye in a while which makes me excited for his new album. When I saw Bon Iver's name on there I thought it was a joke but it's not intrusive and certainly a cut above having that fucking guy from Maroon 5 on there. Also, I 3 Minaj.

• Ughhh, i can't beleive you guys liking Minaj on this, this shit is truly poison to my ears, though when Busta does the voice switch up it's pretty good, as well Lil Wayne and Missy, when Nicki does it it's just absolute crap and obnoxious.

And yes Rick Ross is better than the 5 seconds of rapping he does here, he's really entertaining and (gasp) good.

Songs great, i need a version w/o that last verse ;)

peace,xavier

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    bassie said:
    street_muzik said:

Or they wish she didn't bury her skills under a gimmick.

Yes. All three of those tracks you posted above are straight up good, and so much better than the crap i've heard on the radio from her when she does some stupid little voice.

• And yes, she can rap well, but the cartoon crap is gonna get tiring real quick. Busta, Missy and Wayne don't do it all the time, maybe if she keeps it to a minimum it would be o.k.

peace,xavier

• Those Minaj videos were nice.

Did anyone else think that the Monster track sounded slowed down? Everyone's verses sounded like they were pitched lower than I'm used to. Maybe there was just a cold going around in the studio.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Returning briefly to the subject of Jay, I think it would have been better for all concerned if this 'lost' cut from the Kingdom Come sessions had stayed lost.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    street_muzik said:

No, I've listened to her rap. That's why I don't like her. But it's plain to see that she'll be successful--she does funny noises (and makes accompanying funny faces in the videos) as part of her cutesy-rap schtick, rolls with Li'l Wayne, and guys want to fuck her. She's all set.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• Nicki always seems to go off into some kind of cockney accent I think, it just pisses me off. I can't deal with that shit, at all.

• edpowers said:

I haven't listened to this since the one time I heard it when it came out, and I have to say, hearing it now,
    it's pretty impressive to me how LL is so obviously the better MC here. His lyrics aren't nearly as
    of-the-moment-mega-murder-mobbed-out NYC '90's style or metaphorical, but he's such
    a better rapper. Dude is just entertaining. The "I don't give a fukk boo" line is probably his best since then.

Oh, and homegirl yall are discussing is very average to me. And I don't care for the monster song.
    Interesting points about gimmicky rappers, too.

• In his excellent write-up on "Monster," Noz mentions that Nicki fires some shots at Kim in this verse. I'm not hearing it. What did I miss?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The jabs didn't stand out to me til you/Noz mentioned it - they did have their little back and forth a little while ago. This?

And if I???m fake I aint notice cause my money aint
    So let me get this straight wait I???m the rookie
    But my features and my shows ten times your pay

From Complex Mag re the voices she uses:

I have no idea. I think Wayne kind of influenced that. He has always been really carefree when he raps and I was like, ???I don???t have to stay in one cadence or stay in one tone when I rap???I can just do what I want.??? Sometimes the sh-t I say is over people???s heads and I feel like I need to dumb it down a bit so people can understand it. I think if I had said a lot of raps in a particular voice, people would go, ???Yo, that sh-t was hard??????but when you change up your voice a little bit, they can???t see past that. And they???re lookin??? at me like, ???This bitch is stupid??????and I???m lookin??? at them like, ???No, bitch, you???re stupid.??? [Laughs.]

• bassie said:
    Uhg - I just can't abide by Minaj's delivery. Just rap without the gimmicky dramatics already!

exactly. same reason why i cant stand e40. need to be doing voices over at cartoon network.
    goofy ass bullshit.

rap like you actually talk please.
    30+ checking for kiddie rap demographics = nagl.

• C'mon, Raw. 40 was rapping like that before kiddie rap existed! And be honest, you wouldnt like him even if he did use his regular voice.

b/w. Can I have your LONS and Fu-Schnickens 12"'s please?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    bassie said:
    Uhg - I just can't abide by Minaj's delivery. Just rap without the gimmicky dramatics already!

exactly. same reason why i cant stand e40. need to be doing voices over at cartoon network.
    goofy ass bullshit.

rap like you actually talk please.
    30+ checking for kiddie rap demographics = nagl.

Hilarious

WHEN I WAS YOUNG WE DIDN'T HAVE RAPPERS TALKING IN COOKIE MONSTER VOICES AND BERNIE-MAC-MAKING-FUN-OF-WHITE-PEOPLE VOICES

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• Herm said:
    C'mon, Raw. 40 was rapping like that before kiddie rap existed! And be honest, you wouldnt like him even if he did use his regular voice.

b/w. Can I have your LONS and Fu-Schnickens 12"'s please?

"He's that graffiti that you can't read but you know it's dope." - Ice Cube on E-40 (That is by far the best description of 40 that I've ever heard.)