Your "slept on" digs that you passed on and regretted ever since

2»

Comments

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    karlophone said:
    Breez said:

A mint copy of Les DeMerle "Spectrum" LP for $10 about 10 yrs ago when I still was unaware of what it was.

just picked that up last fall in Seattle at that Bop Street place for $8, it was just sitting by the listening station turntable!?!? so i guess second chances are still possible even in todays hyper-dug world.

I'm shocked that he charged you less than $15 for anything even remotely worthwhile. Dave was charging $10 for dollar records 20 years ago... not that he doesn't have the right to do business any way he wants, but it's why I stopped going to him long before I even moved out of Seattle. The last straw was when he told me he'd rather wait for a Japanese tourist to come in and overpay for everything they buy than to offer a fair price to someone who comes in every week (I'm paraphrasing slightly, but that's pretty damn close to what was said).

• I passed on a nice $8 copy of this at Charlie's in OKC around 2003. I went back shortly afterwards to find it gone. I couldn't feel too bad, though, since I had found a mint copy just a month or so earlier for $1 in an old furniture store in OKC.

• Man, I love Charlie's! I've never found anything quite that deep but I have bulked up my jazz in his shop. My last trip to OKC was about the worst digging I've ever done. Probably just bad luck though.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Fully working ARP 2600, $100 bucks. On Seattle CL a few years ago...lady said she'd hold it for me for a couple hours, then called me while I was at the outlet mall buying jeans to tell me "oh yeah, I just sold it."

Stupid. I sit today, in my ill-fitting FUBU jeans, wondering why I didn't drive right over there and get it. "Well, just so you know, it's not like a new synthesizer, it's old and big and not fancy." OOOF!

Snooze ya lose, etc...

Outlet mall. I'm sure some soulstrutter called her and offered here 150 bucks and scooped it.

Outlet mall.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I passed up a Harold McNair s/t LP in perfect condition on sale for $15 about five years ago. I even told my girlfriend, who also was in the store, that i'd normally buy these kind of odd looking jazz lp's...
    I found out a year later my instincts were right on that one.
    http://www.popsike.com/HAROLD-McNAIR-Harold-McNair-1968-1st-Press/4044647887.html

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    karlophone said:
    Breez said:

A mint copy of Les DeMerle "Spectrum" LP for $10 about 10 yrs ago when I still was unaware of what it was.

just picked that up last fall in Seattle at that Bop Street place for $8, it was just sitting by the listening station turntable!?!? so i guess second chances are still possible even in todays hyper-dug world.

I'm shocked that he charged you less than $15 for anything even remotely worthwhile. Dave was charging $10 for dollar records 20 years ago... not that he doesn't have the right to do business any way he wants, but it's why I stopped going to him long before I even moved out of Seattle. The last straw was when he told me he'd rather wait for a Japanese tourist to come in and overpay for everything they buy than to offer a fair price to someone who comes in every week (I'm paraphrasing slightly, but that's pretty damn close to what was said).

the only time ive ever been there, it was a strange and apparently uncharacteristic day, everything i found seemed underpriced. Lacewing s/t mint for $10. the vibe was oddly relaxed in there, like i had walked in right after a big bong-out or something. It was probably just a momentary fluke that i happened to stumble in on while the getting was good. i guess that day made up for a few of the 10209300432 days ive missed out on something good.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    karlophone said:
    Fred_Garvin said:
    karlophone said:
    Breez said:

the only time ive ever been there, it was a strange and apparently uncharacteristic day, everything i found seemed underpriced. Lacewing s/t mint for $10. the vibe was oddly relaxed in there, like i had walked in right after a big bong-out or something.

In reverse mode I used to be allowed fornightly visits to the private warehouse of a very well known UK dealer. I won't mention his name because he used to bong me (and himself) out whilst I listened to stacks of vinly. I don't think it was a selling technique - just a nice guy - but my ears turn to shit and I bought just about bought everything I spun, without haggling too. (you can't haggle when the man gives you a beer, bong and a bean bag)

• Swear i saw a copy oI lorraine johnson's first lp and i didn't pick it up. Realized the next day and it was gone! still have dreams about it!