President Wyclef?

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2010/07/30/22315089.aspx
(AllHipHop News) Hip-Hop star Wyclef Jean will announce his bid for the President of Haiti, a source has confirmed with AllHipHop.com exclusively.

Sources close to Wyclef confirmed with AllHipHop.com that the rapper will announce his bid for the country???s highest office next Thursday, on August 5th.

The 37-year-old was born in Haiti, but immigrated to the United States at the age of 9-years-old, when he landed in Brooklyn, before settling in South Orange, New Jersey.

As a member of The Fugees and as a solo artist, Wyclef has sold millions of records, in addition to collaborating with artists like Paul Simon, Gloria Estefen, Destiny???s Child, Carlos Santana and others.

The rapper sprung into action on January 12th, when his native land was leveled by a 7.0 earthquake that left 300,000 people dead over a million others displaced.

Even prior to the earthquake, Wyclef Jean???s Yele Haiti organization raised funds for the country, but after the deadly earthquake, the rapper helped raise over $10 million dollars in less than three months.

The rapper will make his official announcement just two days prior to the country???s August 7th deadline to submit his plan for running for President.

Analysts are predicting that Wyclef Jean will easily win the race with his financial connections, influence among the Haitian youth and his political influence around the world.

The news of his candidacy has stoked fears in opponents planning to run for the head office in November.

"I think if Wyclef is allowed to run he will have a straight victory," political leader and former presidential candidate Himmler Rebu told Reuters yesterday.

Jean, who maintained his status as a citizen of Haiti, was in the country yesterday, where he was preparing for his upcoming campaign.

The rapper/musician also has political clout in the country.

His uncle, Raymond Alcide Joseph, has been the Haitian ambassador to the United States since 2005 and helped Wyclef???s drive to raise money and relief aid for victims of the massive earthquake.

Elections are slated for November 28th.

:100pager:

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Anything that makes it possible to never hear We Are The World 2010 again is okay by me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I thought if he was president
    1) He'd be elected on Friday
    2) He'd be assassinated on Saturday
    3) and he'd be buried on Sunday?
    If he was president?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Herm said:

"I think if Wyclef is allowed to run he will have a straight victory," political leader and former presidential candidate Himmler Rebu told Reuters yesterday.

When y'all were bashing him on the heels of that pathetic smear campaign, who was saying that Haitians wouldn't be phased by the trumped-up negativity AT ALL?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2010/0727/Is-Wyclef-Jean-eligible-to-run-for-president-of-Haiti
    Article 135 of the Constitution states that the president must be at least 35 years old; a native-born Haitian and have never renounced Haitian nationality; the owner in Haiti of at least one real property and have his habitual residence in the country; have been relieved of this responsibilities if he has been handling public funds; have resided in the country for five consecutive years before the election; and have never been sentenced to death, personal restraint, or penal servitude or lost of civil rights for a crime.

Wyclef appears to meet at least five of the six requirements, according to the Haitian Ambassador to the United States, who also happens to be Wyclef???s uncle.

Wyclef spends much time in the United States, and it is unclear if his stints living in Haiti will qualify him for having resided in the country for five consecutive years before the election.
    ???He is not a US citizen and has never been,??? Ambassador Joseph told the Monitor in a telephone interview Tuesday.

^^^^^^
    White people are always trying to correct people on some technicality that possibly only they are aware of.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    ^^^^^^
    White people are always trying to correct people on some technicality that possibly only they are aware of.

Go on Harvey shine some light on that constitutional tricknology. Pfft fucking rule law gets the bozak.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Herm said:

When y'all were bashing him on the heels of that pathetic smear campaign, who was saying that Haitians wouldn't be phased by the trumped-up negativity AT ALL?

The Rock?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Times confirmed yesterday that he is actually going to attempt this.

Ridiculous--he can't even run a foundation.

Gotdamn...do you measure a foundation on the good work it does in its chosen community? Or do you ignore all that to judge it on its nerd meter of crossing all it's t's and dotting its i's?

For the thousandth time, that Smoking Gun bullshit was a blatant smear campaign, dropped at the worst possible time. It was sad in its own right. Even sadder is seeing folks since then still walking around with a rusty Smoking Gun fish hook pierced through their lip as they regurgitate said irresponsible propanganda.

Not just this year, but for years on end, Wyclef has built goodwill throughout Haiti according to the people of Haiti. I don't know if he's actually cut out to be an effective preident either...but Wyclef becoming president would immediately have a positive effect.

According to his track record, Wyclef would indeed be acting in the interests of Haitians, opposed to a Rene Preval who is just a puppet for US interests. And Wyclef won't be so easy to kidnap and put into excile the way the US did Aristide.

For a country that so badly needs international awareness raised to the actual truth of life within its realm...85% of what we hear about Haiti through mainstream media sources is tainted garbage aimed to have you forever look down upon Haiti and Haitians like Wyclef...this could very well be a monumental move toward what's right.

But hey, your cheap snickers are worth so much more to you than truth and justice, I know.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    a rusty Smoking Gun fish hook pierced through their lip as they regurgitate said irresponsible propanganda.

• IRS Hits Wyclef With $2.1 Million In Tax Liens
    Presumed Haitian presidential candidate owes for 1040 returns

AUGUST 4--Wyclef Jean, who appears ready to announce his candidacy for Haiti???s presidency, owes the Internal Revenue Service more than $2.1 million, according to federal tax liens filed against the musician, The Smoking Gun has learned.

In May, the IRS filed a $724,332 tax lien against Jean. Last July, the agency filed a $599,167 lien against the performer. And a $792,269 lien was lodged against Jean in July 2007. The liens cover taxes due on Jean???s individual 1040 returns for 2006, 2007 and 2008. Copies of the liens, which were filed at the Bergen County clerk???s office in New Jersey, can be viewed at left.

In 1998, Jean--whose given name is Nel Wyclef Jean--purchased a $1.85 million home at 8 Cameron Road in Saddle River, where he lives with his wife Claudinette and their family. The three IRS liens were filed against Nel W. Jean at the Cameron Road address.

Other records show that Jean, 37, has previously been the subject of two smaller tax liens filed against him by the State of New Jersey and the New York State Tax Commission, both of which were eventually satisfied.

Following the Haitian earthquake, TSG reported on Jean???s questionable handling of the finances of his charitable foundation. Along with filing tax returns years late, Jean used his foundation to pay himself and a business partner more than $410,000 for rent, production services, and Jean's appearance at a benefit concert.

Though the Wyclef Jean Foundation had operated at a deficit and experienced cash flow problems, Jean actually paid himself and a partner (his cousin Jerry Duplessis) $65,000 in upfront rent payments for space at a Manhattan recording studio the duo owns. The prepaid 25 months worth of rent covered the foundation???s use of a caf?? table in the studio's kitchen. Jean???s foundation has received millions in donations since the Haiti tragedy, but it is unknown how the group has spent those funds.

Along with attempting to rebuild a devastated country, the next Haitian president will be in charge of handling foreign aid payments as well as the nation???s own limited financial resources. (3 pages)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/celebrity/irs-hits-wyclef-21-million-tax-liens

Why does the Smoking Gun have such a hard-on for Wyclef? And how do they suddenly have dirt on him the second he does anything publically in relation to the nation of Haiti?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Why does the Smoking Gun have such a hard-on for Wyclef? And how do they suddenly have dirt on him the second he does anything publically in relation to the nation of Haiti?

Because he has become a politician and thus subject to scrutiny?

• clearly the smoking gun is run by "the man".

LaserWolf said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Because he has become a politician and thus subject to scrutiny?

Yeah, because the Smoking Gun stays scrutinizing Haitian politicians on the regular.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

You're right, nobody should know or talk about this because it's entirely irrelevant to anything that's going on in the world.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    For his sake I hope he doesn't get elected. That country is in deeper shit that he could ever shovel.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I see lizard people.

• HarveyCanal said:
    I don't know if he's actually cut out to be an effective preident either...but Wyclef becoming president would immediately have a positive effect.

for the country that is in most need of a great leader...let's elect the entertainer with no political experience. he's charitable!

Y'all just don't get it nor should anyone ever expect you to get it. I just hope for your sakes that you got a rinse with that wash.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Shit, if Californians cared enough to institute a recall campaign AND make Arnold governor, I can't see what's wrong with Haitians exercising their right to vote for whoever they want. The Brits are just jealous because they can't even directly vote for their PM. ;)

That said...http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129024449
    "You're fame and hype but Haiti needs sure and steady. You have an entourage of "yes" men but Haiti needs an army of yeomen. You're a uniquely talented music man but Haiti desperately needs a credible statesman"

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Y'all just don't get it nor should anyone ever expect you to get it. I just hope for your sakes that you got a rinse with that wash.

If you're so knowledgeable why don't you explain it to then, instead of just making vague allusions to your superior understanding of all things, as usual.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

I'm sure y'all fondly remember what a great leader he turned out to be.

I already explained all that needs to be explained. Wyclef is Haitian. The Haitian people believe in him. And his presidency would provide a degree of protection for Haitians against American intervention like there has never been before. That is what's so crucial to this that so many of you are overlooking/failing to comprehend. It's a completely different paradigm, so applying your same American perspective...that isn't even working for us here...is all kinds of faulty.

• Okem said:
    HarveyCanal said:

If you're so knowledgeable why don't you explain it to then, instead of just making vague allusions to your superior understanding of all things, as usual.

Is there really an argument that can be made for Wyclef as president? If so, throw out being knowledgeable, learned and experienced as part of the criteria in electing government. I think that his running is an insult to his country. He is basically telling the world that there are so few qualified Haitians that a guy who probably couldn't get elected as a city councilman in the states is good enough to be president!

Okem said:

I'm sure y'all fondly remember what a great leader he turned out to be.

Have there ever been any unqualifiably effective entertainers-turned-national-leaders?

HarveyCanal said:
    his presidency would provide a degree of protection for Haitians against American intervention like there has never been before.

Explain this - you've said it twice now but I don't get how Wyclef would be more effective - than say, an existing Haitian politician - in shunting out American interventionism, especially if Haiti is still going to be dependent on economic aid that American interest help control.

• Have there ever been any unqualifiably effective entertainers-turned-national-leaders?

vaclaz havel?

• Not a national leader, but people knew Bill Bradley as an NBA player long before he was a senator and presidential nominee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bradley

mannybolone said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    his presidency would provide a degree of protection for Haitians against American intervention like there has never been before.

Explain this - you've said it twice now but I don't get how Wyclef would be more effective - than say, an existing Haitian politician - in shunting out American interventionism, especially if Haiti is still going to be dependent on economic aid that American interest help control.

Unlike Aristide, Wyclef has a voice outside of Haiti.