Best song you never want to hear again?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
We've all got our lists of songs we never need to hear again due to the burnout factor, but among those on your list, which one is the best song? My wife and I had this conversation over the weekend. After much deliberation, I landed on these:

Best Rap Song I Never Want To Hear Again: "T.R.O.Y."

"T.R.O.Y" had serious competition from "DWYCK" and "The Choice Is Yours," but I think it's better than both of those songs.

Bonus Round: Best Reggae Song I Never Want To Hear Again: "Murder She Wrote" (which just edged out "Bam Bam" by Sister Nancy).

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hot 8 Brass Band - Sexual Healing, great cover version, but it's far from the only brass band jam ever made and suitable to be played at parties.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

"T.R.O.Y" had serious competition from "DWYCK" and "The Choice Is Yours," but I think it's better than both of those songs.

"T.R.O.Y." may be better than "The Choice Is Yours" but, for me, the latter is higher on the never need to hear it again scale (flashbacks of mass rap-elbow rltd.)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Hot 8 Brass Band - Sexual Healing, great cover version, but it's far from the only brass band jam ever made and suitable to be played at parties.

Please to share more. (Sorry to thread jack).

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Probably half the songs by the Pixies

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    hogginthefogg said:

"T.R.O.Y." may be better than "The Choice Is Yours" but, for me, the latter is higher on the never need to hear it again scale (flashbacks of mass rap-elbow rltd.)

There are no varying degrees of "never need to hear it again." A song either is or isn't on that list, so if both of the aforementioned songs are on yours, then you agree with me.

And just to clarify before this thread gets taken off course: this is not about songs you hate and never need to hear again (see Beach Boys "Kokomo"). It is about songs that you love, yet never need to hear again. Specifically, it is about the song you love most, yet never need to hear again.

Honorable Mention: most Michael Jackson singles from Thriller.

mannybolone said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Rebirth Brass Band - Shake Your Body Down to the Ground
    Olympia Brass Band - It Ain't My Fault

I only spin vinyl so I'm kinda limited, but those 2 are staples for me. If I used Serato though, or even just cd's, the sky is the limit.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Shook Ones pt II in a "club"

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Rah Band - Messages From The Stars

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    All kinds of derailing - sorry...

hogginthefogg said:

Bonus Round: Best Reggae Song I Never Want To Hear Again: "Murder She Wrote" (which just edged out "Bam Bam" by Sister Nancy).

Maybe it's the regional lean, but Bam Bam gets way more play here. And the whole record is good, there's more to it than that one track!

street_muzik said:

Pre-2000 rap in a club.

bassie said:

Pre-2000 rap in a club.

Taking it too far on that one IMO.

Yes, perhaps, but 'old school' rap nights are OUT OF CONTROL in Toronto.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    street_muzik said:

i can't remember the last time i went to a club and heard anything mentioned in this thread, except for maybe "choice is yours". shook ones pt II is overplayed....is mop too? are there females at these clubs?

if not the club, then you definitely can't be talking about terrestrial radio, so i really don't get it.

i'd be ecstatic if troy came on in the club. it's called reminisce for a reason. i like nostalgia.

keithvanhorn said:
    street_muzik said:

shook ones pt II....mop too? are there females at these clubs?

These are staples. I was at a rap show earlier this year and the Mobb Deep got played twice by two different DJs. I guess the second guy came late or something...

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Definitely CHOICE IS YOURS.
    Can't handle it any more.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    songs you hate and never need to hear again (see Beach Boys "Kokomo")

This was on the request list for a wedding I DJed recently. Tragically, the music/dancing portion of the evening got cut short, and wouldn't you know it, I just didn't get around to playing that travesty of a song.

b/w

/threadjack

• jimi hendrix-purple haze
    isaac hayes- shaft
    beatles-hey jude
    james brown- i feel good

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't know if my response to this thread should be:

A - "Oh man I never want to hear any boogie produced by Lamont Dozier on Warner Brothers ever again. Ugh..."

or

B - "Do you guys even party?

But I think my answer will be

C - Souls Of Mischief "'93 'Til Infinity"

BONUS BEATS:

No matter how many times I hear it out, I'm never gonna get sick of "DWYCK."

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Answers here are pretty mainstream and obvious for me --

Prince - "Kiss"
    MJ -- Billie Jean
    Dee Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
    Biggie - Juicy
    Biggie - Hypnotize
    Black Sheep - Choice Is Yours
    Biz - Just a Friend

All hip hop songs mentioned here are for girls who do the duck face to, even though they were and are still great -- please, never no more.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

"No matter how many times I hear it out, I???m never gonna get sick of ???DWYCK.???

cosine

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Biggie - Juicy

Totally overplayed, but Biggies rap is just so feel-good that I really don't mind that i've heard it 1,236,897 times this year alone.
    Cosine on 'DWYCK' too, never tired of that, son.

I would like to nominate 'How I Could Just Kill A Man' mixed into 'Time 4 Sum Action' though.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DJBombjack said:
    I would like to nominate 'How I Could Just Kill A Man' mixed into 'Time 4 Sum Action' though.

People are still doing that on the regular?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Woimsah said:

Mine, too, but then again it's mainstream/obvious records we're talking about here, so...

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine," Marvin Gaye
    "A Change Is Gonna Come," Sam Cooke
    "Day After Day," Badfinger

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    No matter how many times I hear it out, I'm never gonna get sick of "DWYCK."

That record was like the baton in DJ relay races here in the Bay. Like a dude would walk up to whoever was playing, hand him a copy of "DWYCK," which he would play, thusly ending his set so the guy who handed him "DWYCK" could get on. This scenario would play out every 60-75 minutes.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I love all these songs ("Shook Ones," "'93 'Til...," "DWYCK," "T.R.O.Y.," etc) way too much to never hear them again, however I will say that I agree with this:

DJ_Enki said:

...as well as "Children's Story" into "This Is How We Do it."

Though most crowds get upset if you DON'T play those in that order these days.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Apache by The Bongo Band

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Biggie - Hypnotize
    never tired of these

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    deej said:
    Woimsah said:
    Biggie - Hypnotize
    never tired of these

Most, if not all of these are directly related to how much alcohol I have consumed when they come on, and whether or not the girl Im dancing with is into it.

Except for "Choice is yours", which is now just a hamster commercial to me. And dont just play the engine engine number 9 part eifher.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Nas - Halftime
    Pete Rock - Blah Uno

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Woimsah said:

Mine, too, but then again it's mainstream/obvious records we're talking about here, so...

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine," Marvin Gaye
    "A Change Is Gonna Come," Sam Cooke
    "Day After Day," Badfinger

But let's say you're watching the beginning of the Big Chill? Even then no Grapevine?

• HarveyCanal said:
    mannybolone said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Rebirth Brass Band - Shake Your Body Down to the Ground
    Olympia Brass Band - It Ain't My Fault

one thing that's really interesting about the whole brass band scene in NO is that, as local and insular as it is, lots of what gets played in regular rotation are cover songs.

Casanova by Gerald Levert/Rebirth gets played by everyone (not mad at that)

more popular brass band songs or songs recorded on brass band albums:
    any Michael Jackson hit, We Are One, It's All Over Now, I'm Walkin, Pick Up the Pieces, Lil Liza Jane, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Big Chief, All Blues, Do It Again, Just the Two of Us, Ooh Poo Pa Doo, Run Joe, Inner City Blues, Grazin in the Grass, any Gospel standard...