BETTY WHITE: WHY HER, WHY NOW?

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Not that she doesn't deserve it, but...Was peeping the Arthur Russell "hipster check" thread, where somebody was wondering where the current interest in the man came from.Betty White is having that same revival x10000 (witness her stint on Saturday Night Live this past weekend). I'm checking out my FB page and it seems like Betty White is outnumbering Lena Horne two to one on the status updates.Where did this new Betty White fandom come from? It wasn't here a year ago! Was it just an FB prank that careened out of control?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    White's the new work, son.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I believe it was from Facebook prank, but not a prank in the mean-spirited or ironic sense.

Better question is...Why not her??

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Apart from having hosted SNL this weekend, how is her career having a revival?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

New TV series.
    High profile movie roles.
    Superbowl commercial.

She's having a huge revival right now.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Not that she doesn't deserve it, but...

Was peeping the Arthur Russell "hipster check" thread, where somebody was wondering where the current interest in the man came from.

Betty White is having that same revival x10000 (witness her stint on Saturday Night Live this past weekend). I'm checking out my FB page and it seems like Betty White is outnumbering Lena Horne two to one on the status updates.

Where did this new Betty White fandom come from? It wasn't here a year ago! Was it just an FB prank that careened out of control?

Might have something to do with the recent movies she's been in.

She was pretty much the funniest part of The Proposal.

Her on Fallon... The Jay Z part is classic.

I would love to see her and Don Rickles in a flick.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I never considered her "out" in the first place.

resurgence - yes.Its not like she hasnt been on tv in any shape or form since the Golden Girls went off the air.

But yes - someone has put some effort into her "new - get in with the young crowd" move - ala Tony Bennett circa 90's.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Irony lives on

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

New TV series.
    High profile movie roles.
    Superbowl commercial.

She's having a huge revival right now.

I didn't know she has a new tv series or had been in recent movies, apparently I'm disconnected from the Betty White experience.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    All I know is, if hipster kids start copping style from the Golden Girls, I'm out. Moving to a cave in Wyoming.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK!

In 1992 I'd really only just started buying old records and still didn't know shit about shit, so when I first heard "Deep Cover" I honestly thought the line was "Tonight's the night, like Betty White / and I'm chillin'..." I think I thought it was a reference to cocaine or something. I'm embarassed to admit how many years it was before I figured it out.

Betty White is a hell of a drug?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    All I know is, if hipster kids start copping style from the Golden Girls, I'm out. Moving to a cave in Wyoming.

Start gathering pelts for winter:

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    ESTELLE GETTY GREEN

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Nothing will ever get between those girls again.

paging Elise....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Nothing will ever get between those girls again.

Hahaha... I laughed.

B/W

"Hipster Hipster Hipster"

• I would love to see her and Don Rickles in a flick.

I would definitely pay to see something like that. It would probably be like another Odd Couple.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    WAIT, PICKWICK HAS A FACEBOOK?

• My friend works at SNL and said that even at 88 during both days of twelve hour rehearsal she never got tired. In addition the only thing she ate throughout the day would be four hot dogs. Seriously, no joke.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    She's a terrible actress. I thought she sucked in that movie about the 60ft crocodile that lives in Maine. Unless she was acting ironically of course...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK!

Prior to James's post, I don't think anyone did

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Was it just an FB prank that careened out of control?

The reeks of Astroturfing. She's great and all, and what little I saw of the SNL showed that she was one of the better hosts in a while, but I can't shake the feeling that it was manipulated to create buzz for her new (and from the promos, horrible) new show.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Better question is...Why not her??

Well, if Betty can have a late-career resurgence, can Ernest Borgnine get in the door too?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I can't shake the feeling that it was manipulated to create buzz for her new (and from the promos, horrible) new show.

Of course that's why they did it. That's the whole point of hosting SNL or anything like that, it's to create a buzz about upcoming projects. That's how the business works!

BTW, she was funny on this

The reeks of Astroturfing. She's great and all, and what little I saw of the SNL showed that she was one of the better hosts in a while, but I can't shake the feeling that it was manipulated to create buzz for her new (and from the promos, horrible) new show.

Um...isn't that how guest-casting for SNL usually works?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Um...isn't that how guest-casting for SNL usually works?

Yeah, but they usually don't create a faux-grassroots internet viral[/b] campaign to justify it.

You might be right but this one smells kind of legit.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    How would it be a faux campaign if people voluntarily joined that Facebook group earlier in 2010? A bunch of fake accounts?

I'm seeing other ones now too: Paul Mooney on SNL. Janet Jackson GLEE episode.

But I hadn't seen these groups before the Betty White "campaign".

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Irony lives on

Nah, thats not the deal here... that would mean she's so lame/obnoxious that its cool to like her, which isn't the case.

She's 80-something and she pretty much only dropped sex jokes on SNL, so you could argue shock value I guess if you really wanted to.

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    Gay dudes are very much behind this movement (no pun intended).