BETTY WHITE: WHY HER, WHY NOW?

2»

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dont forget, she has been on the comedy central roasts for a minute now as well...she killed it on the Shatner one a couple years ago. I think she is deserving of her fame...she is extremely likable, funny and one of the few survivng links to the early days of TV. So indeed, why not?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I believe it was from Facebook prank, but not a prank in the mean-spirited or ironic sense.

Better question is...Why not her??

dont forget, she has been on the comedy central roasts for a minute now as well...she killed it on the Shatner one a couple years ago. I think she is deserving of her fame...she is extremely likable, funny and one of the few survivng links to the early days of TV. So indeed, why not?

Again, no one is trying to take away from her, just wondering why ONLY her?

There MUST be about a thousand other actresses and actors in her same age group with the same amount of talent, so why did she get picked from the bunch like a ripe banana?

Although I'm starting to believe this is all promo for her TV series, as several have pointed out.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I believe it was from Facebook prank, but not a prank in the mean-spirited or ironic sense.

Better question is...Why not her??

Again, no one is trying to take away from her, just wondering why ONLY her?

There MUST be about a thousand other actresses and actors in her same age group with the same amount of talent, so why did she get picked from the bunch like a ripe banana?

Although I'm starting to believe this is all promo for her TV series, as several have pointed out.

Naw; White's stock was already rising well before that. I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet her casting in that new TV series was on account of her stock rising, not the cause behind it.

Stop and think about this for a second:

1) This is a show on TV Land. We're not talking CBS prime time placement.
    2) How many new shows debut every year? How many times do you see a concerted, secret viral campaign being launched to hype it?

This idea that forces are conspiring to hype White just sound like nonsense (no disrespect intended).

Popular culture elevates all kinds of people without a concerted logic. In fact, that's exactly how popular culture works almost all the time.

Another example: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS

If someone said, six years ago, Doogie Howser would be making a comeback, who would have believed it? But dude got one really good role in a B-movie ("Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle") which then lead to him getting cast in a fledging sitcom ("How I Met Your Mother") and then that helped him get in with Joss Whedon who put him in a highly regarded internet-only musical series AND then he got asked to host the Tonys and helped open the Oscars.

Betty White is enjoying the same kind of unlikely bump by forces that are, in my opinion, genuine rather than being puppet-string-pulled by a bunch of execs.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Really though, tell me another actor of her generation that still has their physical a nd mental shit together enough to do what she does. Besides rickles, maybe Borgnine, Mel Brooks...can't think of any women Off the top of my head...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

If someone said, six years ago, Doogie Howser would be making a comeback, who would have believed it? But dude got one really good role in a B-movie ("Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle") which then lead to him getting cast in a fledging sitcom ("How I Met Your Mother") and then that helped him get in with Joss Whedon who put him in a highly regarded internet-only musical series AND then he got asked to host the Tonys and helped open the Oscars.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I bet there is one dude out there who started this 'Betty White on SNL' thing as a semi-joke and it turned into this. Sad thing is no one will believe him now if he came out and claimed credit!

Haha Batmon I hadn't seen that one

But FUCKK that SHIT you posted in that other thread you better edit it

All we need now is for Harris and White to do a skit together for funnyordie.com.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I bet there is one dude out there who started this 'Betty White on SNL' thing as a semi-joke and it turned into this. Sad thing is no one will believe him now if he came out and claimed credit!

She was getting a little shine from the movie The Proposal. Then she appeared in a super bowl ad. This dude David Mathews started a facebook group last year about White should host SNL after he saw the superbowl ad. A half million people joined.

I don't know why people are shocked. She's never hosted SNL before. I'm kinda shocked SNL never had her host in the 80's.

I'm glad she's getting some well deserved shine.

DOR: Apparently, SNL reached out during the Golden Girl years but White always declined.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DOR: Apparently, SNL reached out during the Golden Girl years but White always declined.

I guess she was waiting it out ha.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    My point on this is that Betty White has always been a great comedic actor IMO. Her timing to be the silly old lady with a sharp tongue has always made me LOL. Her hosting was simply overdue. She would have done a better job a few years ago.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    it was one of the funniest snl shows in years. period.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    paging Elise....

about DAMNED time!