That MIA video.

2»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Well, what does 'Teutonic' look like? Or perhaps you mean 'Aryan'? Ignoring its central position within Nazi iconography for a moment, the whole blond/blue-eyed thing is, like it or not, widely considered to represent the highest ideal of health, strength and beauty. Interesting as it'd be to flip it so's those physical qualities became reasons for persecution, it'd be a stretch to make that idea work within the ten minutes' duration of a long-form music video. With redhead/gingers, they're a genetic minority amongst white folks already, and redhead/gingers I know will often talk about strangers and kids in the street making sideways remarks - often abusive, too - about their hair/complexion like it's nothing, so there's enough of an "otherness", for want of a better description, about redheads to make the idea work within the timeframe Romain-Gavras/MIA have to play around with here. At least, that's how I see it.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Or...replace redheads for political dissidents, physically/mentally disabled, followers of a certain religion, members of another tribe, etc.

I don't see the topsy-turvy persecution concept as being strictly about a black/white racial thing. Of couse, physical attributes are used in the video to make it visually unambigous, but I think it extends beyond that. At least I hope that was the idea.

Or...replace redheads for political dissidents, physically/mentally disabled, followers of a certain religion, members of another tribe, etc.

I don't see the topsy-turvy persecution concept as being strictly about a black/white racial thing. Of couse, physical attributes are used in the video to make it visually unambigous, but I think it extends beyond that. At least I hope that was the idea.

Yeah, I think it is. To me, the use of redheads/gingers gets the concept into the bloodstream that bit quicker, so to speak.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I enjoyed it more when I turned the sound off.

The song's actually grown on me a little. First time I heard it, it didn't sound lo-fi so much as cheap, but combined with the intensity of the visuals it works much better.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah it's probably worth stating that I doubt I'm the target audience for this. I'm not a big fan of this rock and dance mishmash style of production. I didn't like it when people such as Tricky were playing round with the idea ten years ago and not been swayed by it since.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yer, it made me think of Tricky also, guess that sound's due a revival soon.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    An interesting video...still trying to get my head around the red head thing (apart from the South Park nod). Initially, I thought the point was to dramatize the shit that happens to people of color, only with white folk but that doesn't seem quite right[/b] (after all, why not go with a bunch of Teutonic-looking folks in that case?).

SMH.

The Greeks, believed that redheads would turn into vampires following their death. Aristotle - philosopher, student of Plato, teacher of Alexander the Great, and all-around smart guy and occasional ass - described redheads as being emotionally un-housebroken.
    Roman historian Deo Cassius described British Warrior Queen Boudicca (or Boudicca the bodacious) as " tall and terrifying in appearance [with] a great mass of red hair." Incidentally the ancient Romans also paid a premium for red haired slaves.
    During the Spanish Inquisition (one of the fairest and justified of all inquisitions) flame coloured hair was evidence that it's owner had stolen the fire of hell and had to be burned as a witch. Apparently, stealing the fire of hell is a crime and crime doesn't pay. In Corsica, if you pass a redhead in the street you are supposed to spit and turn around. It is unclear if that is supposed to bring good luck or because redheads leave a bad taste in your mouth. During the Middle Ages, red was seen as the color of the Devil, and it was thought that a child born with red hair was conceived during "that time of the month".

Russian tradition declares that red hair is both a sign of a fiery temper and craziness, and a proverb warns, "There was never a saint with red hair. Indeed, red hair figures in the bible, The word Adam is supposedly the Hebrew word for 'red' or 'ruddy', and Judas - poster boy tor tratorious - is often portrayed with red hair as is Mary Magdalene. King David is thought to have been a redhead, and some even believe the 'mark of cain' to actually be red hair.
    The association of red hair and untrustworthiness and ugliness somehow prevails in the modern age. The Nazi's discussed whether red haired people should be allowed to wed, fearing their degenerate offspring.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    wow. goddamn

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Boudicca the bodacious

I beleive Raj was looking for a band name?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    im not a redhead but there is a tinge of ginge in my beard.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Dear Diary,

Silverfish called, they want their sound back.

Romain Gavras is Constantinos Costa-Gavras' son and the director of a decent film called Sheitan.
    I liked this video, I like it when nothing happens!
    I am a fan of redheads, especially ruddy redheads of the Middle East.
    MIA sucks.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

MIA sucks.

And her music is awful too!

hahahaaa

red heads rule!!!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The number of dudes I had to slug as a kid for trying to make fun of my red hair, I swear.

Although, I will give it to the dude at basketball camp who right before I knocked all of the spit from his mouth sang...red, red fell outta bed and broke his head on a piece of cornbread.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    red heads rule!!!!!

Hey,

Damn, she's FOINE!!!! And if I was single, .

Man, look at that culon!!! Goodness, gracious!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

hahaa nalgas for days
    she got a lil trashy in what were her glory days, but i am extra super feeling country girl Iris action. i cant stop staring at that lil las parceles Iris

oh yeah..
    nalgas not to be confused with

actually, just the opposite

Silverfish

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    hahaa nalgas for days
    she got a lil trashy in what were her glory days, but i am extra super feeling country girl Iris action. i cant stop staring at that lil las parceles Iris

Yes sir, nalgas muy grande, tambien!!! My goodness gracious!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i approve of the direction this thread has gone.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

+1

The video is pretentious exploito dreck. Iris is fine.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Silverfish

• I think all us gingers need to band together and form a group

A ginger group is a formal or informal group within, for example, a political party seeking to inspire the rest with its own enthusiasm and activity.
    A ginger group actively works for more radical change to the policies, practices or office-holders of the organisation, while still supporting the general goals of the organisation.
    Like "to ginger up," the term comes from the use of ginger root to make a horse seem more lively, or to add flavour or spice to food and beverages.
    Ginger groups sometimes form within the political parties of Commonwealth countries such as the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, and Pakistan.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Don't forget Sondra Currie! Policewomen is such an ill flick. I have a lobby poster of that movie, too.

• Options

+1

The video is pretentious exploito dreck. Iris is fine.

word. the subjective nature of oppression has been written about and filmed many times over. this vid is on some "check out my ass" type steez. Habermas might approve, but Marx would facepalm.

Also, Iris is lovely. I love red heads.