Basketball vs. Rugby

exte82exte82 202 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I tell for a start that I am a big basketball fan and dont know much about rugby. But as my co-worker is a big rugby fan, we had a little arguing. Of course there is no 100% truth, but we were arguing about which sports is more athletic, technical etc....which of those 2 sports needs more skills, speed, strenght, co-ordination...in one word..who are "bigger" sportsmen? I once heard one reporter saying that NBA basketball players are the "biggest" sportsmen in any way, not only by size. I think that is true. But my co-worker said that basketball is for children What do You think if You compare those 2?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

ALL TIME CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Best NBA brawl EVAR!

Basketball > Rugby - athletes

Rugby > Basketball - toughness

Rugby is some caveman shit.
    Makes Football dudes look soft.

I tell for a start that I am a big COLLEGE basketball fan

Get to the Playoffs thread - pronto.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Basketball > Rugby - athletes

Rugby > Basketball - toughness

Rugby is some caveman shit.
    Makes Football dudes look soft.

This.

I was there.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Rugby is a sport designed for public school boys who miss their days of wrestling and other homoerotic activity.

Rugby is a sport designed for public school boys who miss their days of wrestling and other homoerotic activity.

I guess in your neck of the woods this comment might have an ounce of truth to it, but head on down under and youll find its a whole nother ball game.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

Point taken. I certainly wouldn't consider saying this to an All Black or Wallaby.

Unless it was on a message board obviously.

• Rugby is a sport designed for public school boys who miss their days of wrestling and other homoerotic activity.

I guess in your neck of the woods this comment might have an ounce of truth to it, but head on down under and youll find its a whole nother ball game.

In England it is definitely a posh/middle class sport. I really can't stand all those horse-faced, home counties twats who wear their rugby shirts with the upturned collars and talk loudly in bars about "rugger".

Just next door in Wales everyone likes to think of it as a still being a working class sport, but this is gradually changing too.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

In England it is definitely a posh/middle class sport. I really can't stand all those horse-faced, home counties twats who wear their rugby shirts with the upturned collars and talk loudly in bars about "rugger".

^^^ was a good hooker BITD iirc.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Just next door in Wales everyone likes to think of it as a still being a working class sport, but this is gradually changing too.

Yes. I played rugby (and most sports) as a kid and we had the gulliest team going. Not one posh boy. Several of the team joined up at the recommendation of a reform officer, who thought it would be a 'good way to channel their violent tendencies'. We used to get stoned before matches, and one kid once tried to beat up the ref (we were only 14). WE WERE SHIT AT RUGBY THO.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Rugby union doesn't get played in many state schools in England so players generally come from clubs or, more often, via private schools. Rugby league's a different kettle of fists.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

"Give blood... Play Rugby"[/b]

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My friends and I used to play tackle basketball...on cement.

I would imagine tackle basketball only = for the UK strutters?

Double dribble?

b/w

see above 'tea-bagging' bball clip

So tackle basketball is more gay than a bunch of dudes putting their arms around each other as they swipe at the ball between their legs?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    So tackle basketball is more gay than a bunch of dudes putting their arms around each other as they swipe at the ball between their legs?

In the UK, yes.......here, not so much.

Tackle = UK slang for the ol' meat and two veg.

Tackle = UK slang for the ol' meat and two veg.

Okay, never heard that one before.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine just got back from visiting London for the first time. He commented on how weird it felt to see nothing but 99.9% white people everywhere he went. My response was: well, that's where they make em.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    There's white people in London?

LOL.

There's white people in London?

Yeah, I was on the whole WTF??? Last time I was in London, I walked for 20 minutes around Bayswater and didn't hear English spoken once.

London, England, United Kingdom, population 7,556,900 in 2007 claims to be one of the most ethnically diverse cities on earth, with over 300 languages spoken in it and more than 50 non-indigenous communities which have a population of more than 10,000. [1] According to 2007 estimates, 31.0 per cent of London's population is from an ethnic minority (defined as non-white) and 42.3 per cent belong to groups other than white British.

http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/siteinfo/newsround/minority2.html