March Madness Thread

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    SDSU, damn

Didn't really like how they run their offense for most of the game. They try to play like an NBA team (one-on-one moves). That only works if you got NBA-level talent. Didn't like how the PG was holding the ball either.

U of Washington game was awesome.

Hated how the CBS announcers were on Wayne Chism's dick the entire game. Clearly, Tennessee-biased too.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

Next teams I'm hoping to see lose: Duke, Kansas (I know, I'm holding my breath anyway).

I can understand your disapproval of Duke, but why Kansas.?.

• Cornell!

15/19

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    f*cking Cornell.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Next teams I'm hoping to see lose: Duke, Kansas (I know, I'm holding my breath anyway).

I can understand your disapproval of Duke, but why Kansas.?.

I just like seeing the overall #1 rated team lose. Everybody is always so sure of teams like that so I love the excitement when they are upset. Don't get me wrong though, Kansas is an incredible team and they likely WILL win it. The only time this does not apply is when the favored team is Syracuse or Carolina, haha. Plus, if Kansas loses, Syracuse has a better shot at the championship!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I can't lie I am amped for tonite...but as a Cal alum I have learned to manage expectations obviously....still, beautiful day and Cal in the tourney...proud to be an alum rat now I can't front...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    This is still the best picture in the history of the Internet

b/w

Where you watching the game(s)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    This is still the best picture in the history of the Internet

b/w

Where you watching the game(s)

honestly it may be the best picture I've ever seen of anything. the fact that it popped up when I did a "cal" image search just made my day.

I am trying to figure out where to watch the game. some folks I know gonna be at Greens on Polk but honestly that place gets sorta crazy (no seating, hard to get a drink). I am at my folks' place right now so I may just walk down to the Final Final at Lombard and Baker, which is a solid neighborhood option and is sure to have a sizeable Cal alum presence...I am open to any ideas though.

Are NCAA refs more corrupt than NBA refs? That lane violation call against NMSU last night was very suspect. And I wanted Michigan State to win that one. From what I hear, the refs in the RMU/Villanova game on Thursday were really ball-licking the Wildcats too. That's 2 games that probably should have been upsets but were potentially saved by the officiating. Bracket control? Or just bad officiating?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    CAL v DUKE = EPIC .........(hopefully not FAIL also)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

It's happened before:

TRES CLASSIQUE:

Go Cal.

'Nova's done.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    St Mary's!! Hell yeah! WCC represent!

Can't believe Murray State couldn't even get a shot there. How disappointing that was after watching such a good game!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    man, if Kansas loses the whole country is going to be crying. would still love to see Northern Iowa win though.

Kansas is making a push but UNI is withstanding it, incredible. Come on UNI!!!

edit: Ehh I guess I spoke to soon. They're blowin' it... They need to keep their composure.

edit 2: Holy shit!

Wow.

• CHAOS REIGNS

• my bracket is totally nuked.

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts

It's happened before:

Looking for Jason Kidd to suit up for the Bears tomorrow ODub?

University of Washington is so damn athletic. Real fun to watch.

I just got goosebumps watching this Xavier/K-State game!!! holy shit.

DOUBLE OVERTIME.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BUTLER!

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    BUTLER!

Yup. Even I can't believe it.

• BUTLER!

Yup. Even I can't believe it.

Believe that... they've lost 14 games in the last 3 years, which is nuts.

I'd love to see them in the Final Four- my mom used to teach there, and I went to basketball camp there growing up- but, mostly, it would be great to see a mid-major school in the Final Four that isn't a total "cinderella." Teams like Butler and Gonzaga have built themselves into legitimate programs outside of the major-conference cabal, and this would be a crowning achievement for those schools.

Not to mention they're the host school, and it would in their hometown... Atmosphere would be out of control.

• I wonder if the success of teams like Butler is due to the fact that as a small school they can develop a team that will be together as a unit for around 4 years or so and can learn to play the game as a team versus these bigger schools which attract great basketball players that might only be around for a year or two in college b-ball before they go to the NBA? Thoughts?
    Anyway, I've still got Butler and Purdue in my brackets and yes, if Butler makes it to the end my city is going to be nuts and I'll be on Spring Break to partake in the debauchery.

• I wonder if the success of teams like Butler is due to the fact that as a small school they can develop a team that will be together as a unit for around 4 years or so and can learn to play the game as a team versus these bigger schools which attract great basketball players that might only be around for a year or two in college b-ball before they go to the NBA? Thoughts?
    Anyway, I've still got Butler and Purdue in my brackets and yes, if Butler makes it to the end my city is going to be nuts and I'll be on Spring Break to partake in the debauchery.

I absolutely think that is the case; teams like Kentucky and Syracuse will compete and have success with short-term players that are far more talented than anyone Butler has on an individual level.

But, Butler will have the better, or at least more cohesive, team, as they will have had a core that has played together for a number of years.

Cornell's success this tournament is the product of the same model; you had a core of seniors (Wittman, Dale, Foote) who were together for three years, and able to make their individual talents more valuable within the context of the team.

Of course, Kentucky is more talented than any team in the tournament. I honestly wonder if they could beat the Nets; and yes, I've heard all the "the worst pros will always beat a college team," stuff over the years, but Kentucky is effectively an NBA team in waiting, so I'd love to see the matchup. So, Kentucky won out last night, and probably would 8 times out of 10. But, a disciplined, experienced team will always have a shot in those games.

Gotta say, though- Kentucky is FUN to watch. Yeah, they're an all-star team and what not, but damn...

The success of Butler yesterday was due to the fact that Jackson couldn't keep his f*cking hands on the ball. Syracuse turned it over like 10 times in the first 10 minutes. They looked terrible on offense for most of the game, and still made it a close one. But they just played extremely sloppy. I was sad to see 'Cuse get knocked off, but at least Kentucky and Michigan State are still in it. Those are the last 2 teams I care about in the tourny.

That 2OT game was good, congrats to K-State, hard-fought win for sure.

Kentucky/WVU is going to be a hell of a game.

Oh, and Kentucky would F*ck the Nets up.