TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    skel said:
    Hey,

For what it's worth, I appreciate the recent line of discussion in this thread about the U.K. leaving the EU.  I don't think thoughtful discourse gets sufficient credit on the 'Strut.  I thank you guys for the insightful look into the events, which do have me a bit concerned (financially, anyway).  In typical Libran fashion, I can see both sides of the issue, and I think the optimal state is somewhere between the Brexit versus remain extremes.  Nonetheless, I can see the bigger industrial nations being unfairly pressed into subsidizing less financially solvent ones.  However, I see trade agreements between nations as a means, if managed properly, of perpetuating economic stability across nations, which isn't a bad thing.  It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Hi Stacks

i recall that you left S. Carolina to pursue a better future.
    Jimster likewise, Duder, McCoy and Junior too.
    I'll bet in all cases there were doom-mongers, and no doubt you faced varying degrees of trepidation; and, no doubt, went through periods of regret.
    But looking back, you all mostly in a better place and you made things turn out alright in the end.
    And so will the UK.

Ultimately, Europe in its current form is unsustainable in the medium and long term. The currency is built on quicksand. The varying cultures won't be homogenised. The rich will not continue subsidising the poor indefinitely. The U.K. has always had an uneasy relationship with it. We have many opt-outs, wouldn't join the Euro and plenty of other areas of dis-harmony. These could not continue ad infinitum.

We may well see the break up of the U.K. now.
    That is also an ultimately unsustainable Union along mini EU lines. 

Some will be filled with fear, some with liberation. But we've come through millennia of setbacks. We have a track record of bouncing back. Of innovation, of venturing out, of being bold.
    Embrace the future, Britpeoples of Soul Strut!

And until further notice, I will be avoiding Euroman lager and wine. Just saying.

Great points, Skel!!!  And for the record, (thankfully) I left North Carolina for greener pastures.  I want to make sure I smear the correct state.  To my mother's chagrin, I have no plans of ever returning there to live.  I can't imagine living in that racist, regressive armpit of red-state politics.  So, indeed, I respect your point about sometimes needing to venture into the unknown for the greater good; however, I don't know if it's that clear cut with the Brexit issue.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    So, who's in more trouble? Labour, Tories, UK or Europe?
    I can't call it.
    Belgium were good though.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    skel said:
    So, who's in more trouble? Labour, Tories, UK or Europe?
    I can't call it.
    Belgium were good though.
    It's amazing how the referendum could cost Cameron & Corbyn their jobs.
    Tom Watson potential replacement is good news. Jezza is just too boring. I'm sorry if we should be able to look purely at the substance of a man, but politics is a popularity contest and a little charisma is necessary (as well as the ability to eat a bacon sandwich properly).

Belgium look impressive. Watch England struggle against Iceland...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

skel said:
    Falklands? Iraq, Kuwait, Balkans? Afghanistan?
    Im no historian, but they looked like wars to me.
    They're not in Europe though and Yugoslavia was not an EU member.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    We have two generations in the EU now that have not experienced a war on their homeground. That achievement is historic and a good thing. Yet, it may also be one of the causes of the rise of political extremism in all countries, as people simply never have experienced a war first hand and fall for the simple solutions again. History repeating.
    Duderonomy

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I thought England had not been properly invaded by foreigners since 1066.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    What's the point of robbery when nothing is worth taking?
    Duderonomy

Outlook:
    Lab and Con implode, no-one signs Article 50. General election fought around Remain and Leave. Remain wins big.
    Everyone sighs with relief, we have a new politics, UK firmly on fragmentation path, EU rethinks its agenda, Rabid Leavers resort to minor terrorism. And England beat Iceland 1-0 with crappy goal off Alli's shin from 2 yards.

We have two generations in the EU now that have not experienced a war on their homeground. That achievement is historic and a good thing. Yet, it may also be one of the causes of the rise of political extremism in all countries, as people simply never have experienced a war first hand and fall for the simple solutions again. History repeating.
    We have an imported war of sorts: ISIS-R

Two more Labour resignations this morning?

Two more Labour resignations this morning?
    Nope, looks like a third since I typed that!

skel said:
    Outlook:
    Lab and Con implode, no-one signs Article 50. General election fought around Remain and Leave. Remain wins big.
    Everyone sighs with relief, we have a new politics, UK firmly on fragmentation path, EU rethinks its agenda, Rabid Leavers resort to minor terrorism. And England beat Iceland 1-0 with crappy goal off Alli's shin from 2 yards.
    Haha you were doing fine until your Iceland fantasy. They've been training on a diet of Bjork and volcanoes. Cannot be beaten by England squad raised on Red Bull and Dappy.

Flomotion said:
    skel said:
    Outlook:
    Haha you were doing fine until your Iceland fantasy. They've been training on a diet of Bjork and volcanoes. Cannot be beaten by England squad raised on Red Bull and Dappy.
    And snuff!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3641736/Jamie-Vardy-performance-boosted-seven-cent-says-expert-England-man-looks-edge-against-Wales.html

* WARNING DAILY MAIL CONTENT *

Every single person in our Stockholm office has a major snus habit - they pop one after the other all day long. I have tried it and it's just as rank whatever flavour they spray on it. Trying to buy cigs late one night in a 7-11 revealed one brand for sale (Malboro reds, natch) and about 40 chewing tobaccos. It's the only country in Europe where tobacco sales are on the rise. The side effects are a small hole in your gum and an indefinable yearning for Ace of Bass.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Any of you guys know the name of the song that plays at the end of The Young Ones?

It's by Peter Brewis who did a ton of TV comedy music in the 80s/90s. Not sure if it has a name. The Young Ones end theme?

Italy put Spain out!

But no doubt they played some lovely little 5 and 6 yard passes

eyeroll 

Duder, in a Barca bar, pint of John Smiths, draped in St Georges flag over bare torso, shouting Ing-ger-lund.

Italy just know how to get it done. How is it they and Germany can be guaranteed to always, always be in with a shout of a tournament title?

Don't say it Skel, don't say it  

I always knew Sterling wasn't a total wasteman

Jimster

Wastemen.
    Fucking WASTEMEN
    Jimster

Dregful.

Thank fuck that's over.

Unbelievable shit.

Manuel Pellegrini needs a job...

Bilic or Pochettino.

No but seriously, I'd do it, and better than all of the last cunts going back to Ramsey. None of those dudes had a single bollock between them.
    Fuming.

;)

Slip-up.
    DOUBLE BREXIT.

Icelandic support was sounding like the Uruk-Hai in Lord of the Rings 2. 
    That big battle scene where they're all amassed before the castle, banging their shields and an elf archer loses his bottle and lets fly an arrow before they've started, only making the orcs angrier.
    They probably gang-rape polar bears.

All thoroughly deserved really.

They say something like 'hoom ' but I don't get how they co-ordinate it.
    Anyways it's good for sure.

Hoddle "Icelantic". Every few minutes.
    Needs a slap. Was almost nostalgic for the Waddle 'pelanty' of yesteryear.

Hart tho. Surely Fraser dude to be new keeper.

"Come in #1.  Your time is up." To be completely fair, none of them covered themselves in glory.  More like 11 dogs rolling in fresh manure.

They had no plan.

Can't we have a manager who has actually won something??

But they want a English manager.