Scratch Mag 30 Greatest Samples & breaks

124»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This thread makes me grateful that no one here reads my reggae column.

Perhaps if you actually addressed interesting subjects like "the thirty greatest reggae breakz" people would read it...

• This thread makes me grateful that no one here reads my reggae column.

Perhaps if you actually addressed interesting subjects like "the thirty greatest reggae breakz" people would read it...

Faux thinks the only good rap drum is an 808. and nothing else.

How bout a colums of "Greatest 808 bass release times"?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

I always read it, hommie. Your reviews, too. And although your positive tone is decidedly at odds with my hate-based lifestyle, your writing's always good enough that I'm not even too salty about having to actually buy XLR8R to get at it.

And personal lists don't matter at all, ever, but: I'm sure there are many good reasons for omitting "Synthetic Substitution" (that tune, while it's some desert-island shit for me, is the very definition of "acquired taste"), but on a list that includes "Take Me To The Mardi Gras," saying that "it's really just the drum break and the rest of the song isn't that memorable" is perhaps not the best defense.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Fuck Scratch, we should all nominate, review and vote for our own "greatest breaks" list.

thats a damn good idea. We're pretty much experts here, we could make a pretty definitive list if we wanted to. I say we set up a thread where everyone just throws different breaks out there and then we set up a poll and vote. The top 50 then get placed in another poll and we reach 25 and bam there we go.

Instant mathmatical gangsta

Guzzo, brilliant, make this happen.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I always read it, hommie. Your reviews, too. And although your positive tone is decidedly at odds with my hate-based lifestyle, your writing's always good enough that I'm not even too salty about having to actually buy XLR8R to get at it.

And personal lists don't matter at all, ever, but: I'm sure there are many good reasons for omitting "Synthetic Substitution" (that tune, while it's some desert-island shit for me, is the very definition of "acquired taste"), but on a list that includes "Take Me To The Mardi Gras," saying that "it's really just the drum break and the rest of the song isn't that memorable" is perhaps not the best defense.

*laugh* Well, I can't really debate that point. I guess "Nautilus" is a stronger end-to-end cut but fuck it. I had to give JMJ his due.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

But that's the ideal situation--you get all the joys of being allowed to run your mouth under the auspices of "writing a column," but nobody holds you accountable for whatever crazy shit you might say to amuse yourself.

At least that's how I approached it.

Now get to work on a column about the words that sound funniest when yelled in an overwrought Patois accent.