Your Favorite Hip-Hop Album

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Dr. Octagon
    good call.

...also hot...

• That Saafir post had me thinking. How come no one has posted any Hieroglyphics?

most Mc's get beaten defeaten I eat men, I'm the bestest the west is now on the map OR I write raps and when niggas bite I claps cuz they shit sound better now.....you bit so hard I thought that shit was a quote

SICK....

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Ugly Duckling - Fresh Mode

Freestyle Fellowship - To Whom It May Concern

• Adding some of my most cherished albums of the genre:

WHO AM I - addictive hip hop musick
    CHILL E.B. - born suspicious
    N.W.A. - straight outta Compton
    BDP - ghetto music: the blueprint of hip hop
    BDP - edutainment
    BDP - sex and violence
    BDP - criminal minded
    GANG STARR - step in the arena
    PUBLIC ENEMY - apocalypse 91...the enemy strikes black

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    My top 3 in order:

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    goodness sees no color,

3rd bass, the cactus album

and[strong] jugganots, clear blue skies[/strong]

what's breezly brewin doing these days? has to be one of the most underated talented mcs ever.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    My five favorites... should allow anybody who was wondering to guess my age within a year or three:

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this only gets one mention, and that's as someone's #5 choice.

how can that be?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    If I had to pick only 1...

how can that be?

Because it's not that good?

A lot of his best material from that period wasn't included on that album and, frankly, his second album is a lot better.

That album really doesn't belong in a conversation with the likes of Illmatic, ...Cuban Linx... and Reasonable Doubt.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

how can that be?

A lot of his best material from that period wasn't included on that album and, frankly, his second album is a lot better.
    there's no way in hell that life after death is even close to ready to die as a double disc. MAYBE if you compiled some super fan favorites into a single disc. but as a double disc, there's still a lot of filler.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

That album really doesn't belong in a conversation with the likes of Illmatic, ...Cuban Links... and Reasonable Doubt.

Suspect. That's crazy talk dude.

how can that be?

there's no way in hell that life after death is even close to ready to die as a double disc. MAYBE if you compiled some super fan favorites into a single disc. but as a double disc, there's still a lot of filler.

There's certainly filler on Life After Death, but not in an amount that exceeds the proportion of filler on Ready to Die. It's a much better album overall.

That album really doesn't belong in a conversation with the likes of Illmatic, ...Cuban Links... and Reasonable Doubt.

Suspect. That's crazy talk dude.

I'd be disappointed if you hadn't chimed in here.

But let's not waste our time arguing minutia since, really, the entire Biggie discography pales in the face of the achievement of such musical giants as Jamiroquai.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

how can that be?

i disagree... and i bet nas, raekwon, and jay-z (definitely jay-z) would disagree with you, too. beats and rhymes, ready to die blows the best of jay-z out of the water anyday.
    bottom line - its shameful to see albums like 'mecca and soul brother,' 'straight out the jungle,' 'curious monkey,' and a bunch of others get listed without even a mention of 'ready to die.'

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i disagree... and i bet nas, raekwon, and jay-z (definitely jay-z) would disagree with you, too. beats and rhymes, ready to die blows the best of jay-z out of the water anyday.

bottom line - its shameful to see albums like 'mecca and soul brother,' 'straight out the jungle,' 'curious monkey,' and a bunch of others get listed without even a mention of 'ready to die.'
    you also gotta think about where this is being posted. most of the people on here don't like a majority of the stuff the nas, raekwon, jay-z, and biggie albums influenced so it's not a far stretch to think that they wouldn't like the albums too.

and faux, not counting interludes or intros, i count 1 filler track on ready to die and at least five or six on life after death.

how can that be?

I doubt that--I'm sure they would acknowledge that Biggie was their peer as an artist, but I don't think they'd be so quick to concede that Ready to Die was the equal of the albums that they released during that era.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

How does this not show up?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• this only gets one mention, and that's as someone's #5 choice.

how can that be?

I doubt that--I'm sure they would acknowledge that Biggie was their peer as an artist, but I don't think they'd be so quick to concede that Ready to Die was the equal of the albums that they released during that era.

I think Biggie was sicker than Jay-Z and Raekwon. Not way sicker but sicker. Party And Bullshit was sicker than so much that was put out around that time. He tore it up on that 12". I am not hating on the other 2 just saying I think Biggie is better.

how can that be?

I think Biggie was sicker than Jay-Z and Raekwon. Not way sicker but sicker. Party And Bullshit was sicker than so much that was put out around that time. He tore it up on that 12". I am not hating on the other 2 just saying I think Biggie is better.

Not what the debate is about, dude.

And "Party and Bullshit" = not on Ready to Die.

• this only gets one mention, and that's as someone's #5 choice.

how can that be?

Not what the debate is about, dude.

And "Party and Bullshit" = not on Ready to Die.

ok then. I think Ready To Die is way sicker than Life After Death. Life After had a lot of filler like they said. It's like one track good one track ehh. I still like both but I think overall Ready to Die wins. The radio tracks I can pass on as they get kinda tiring quickly but other than those I say the only filler track is the one where they are fucking.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Yeah I agree with most yall, but I have to throw in The Jugaknots, CO FLOW and Siah Yesha ep... Ultra Mags 2 1st LP's Fearless 4, Grandmaster Flashes later stuff too, and Steady B cauise he took L's Radio, and The Latest DeLa LP and All the GangStarrs... ahh Yeah!

The Blackmoon LP I loved but I listened again and it was a little dated but still cool! & Crash Crew, what about the JayRock, and UTFO....

• I love how, after looking at this thread, me and Delay had an impromptu debate about which Biggie album was better in the middle of the shop. Some shit never changes with hip-hop heads!

• Damn. That's weird that Main Source and Lord Finesse got no mention. The Awakening is sick. Those tracks with KRS. Kills it.

• In addition to the biggie/nas/jay z/tribe/rakim/PE goats...a some things I still dig.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    In addition to

Ready to Die ??? I know what you???re saying about this record, Faux ??? but time and place and feeling reigns over quality in this case???in most cases?

Supreme Clientele

Liquid Swords

Nation of Millions

Enter/36 Chambers

3 Feet High

Straight Outta Compton

The Diary

The Infamous

Death Certificate

I???d add