Sriracha Revealed

dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
paging Gary...http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/dining/20united.html?_r=1AFTER-HOURS calls to Huy Fong Foods, here in the suburbs of the San Gabriel Valley east of Los Angeles, are intercepted by an answering machine. One recent day, 14 messages were blinking when Donna Lam, the operations manager, hit ???play.???A woman told of smearing Huy Fong???s flagship product, Tuong Ot Sriracha (Sriracha Chili Sauce), on multigrain snack chips. A man proclaimed the pur??e of fresh red jalape??os, garlic powder, sugar, salt and vinegar to be ???the bomb,??? and thanked Ms. Lam???s employers for ???much joy and pleasure.???Another caller, hampered by a slight slur, botched the pronunciation of the product name before asking whether discount pricing might be available. Finally, he blurted, ???I love rooster sauce!??? (A strutting rooster, gleaming white against a backdrop of the bright red sauce, dominates Huy Fong???s trademark green-capped clear plastic squeeze bottles.)???I guess it goes with alcohol,??? deadpanned Ms. Lam, who, like David Tran, the 64-year-old founder of Huy Fong and creator of its sauce, is both proud of the product???s popularity and flummoxed by fans??? devotion.The lure of Asian authenticity is part of the appeal. Some American consumers believe sriracha (properly pronounced SIR-rotch-ah) to be a Thai sauce. Others think it is Vietnamese. The truth is that sriracha, as manufactured by Huy Fong Foods, may be best understood as an American sauce, a polyglot pur??e with roots in different places and peoples.It???s become a sleeve trick for chefs like Jean-Georges Vongerichten.At the restaurant Perry St., in New York City, Mr. Vongerichten???s rice-cracker-crusted tuna with citrus sauce has always relied on the sweet, garlicky heat of sriracha. More recently, he has honed additional uses. ???The other night, I used some of the green-cap stuff with asparagus,??? Mr. Vongerichten said. ???It???s well balanced, perfect in a hollandaise.???In Houston, at the restaurant Reef, Bryan Caswell, a veteran of Mr. Vongerichten???s kitchens, stirs sriracha into the egg wash he uses to batter fried foods, from crab cakes to oysters to onion rings. ???It???s not heavily fermented, it???s not acidic,??? said Mr. Caswell, who has won a devoted following for the sriracha r??moulade he often serves with such fried dishes. ???It burns your body, not your tongue.???Sriracha has proved relevant beyond the epicurean realm. Wal-Mart sells the stuff. So do mom-and-pop stores, from Bristol, Tenn., to Bisbee, Ariz.Sriracha is a key ingredient in street food: The two Kogi trucks that travel the streets of Los Angeles, vending kimchi-garnished tacos to the young, hip and hungry, provide customers with just one condiment, Huy Fong sriracha.Recently, Huy Fong???s sriracha found its place in the suburbs. Applebee???s has begun serving fried shrimp with a mix of mayonnaise and Huy Fong sriracha. They followed P. F. Chang???s, another national chain, which began using it in 2000, and now features battered and fried green beans with a sriracha-spiked dipping sauce, as well as a refined riff on what both Applebee???s and P. F. Chang???s call dynamite shrimp.For Mr. Tran, of Chinese heritage but born in Vietnam, neither sriracha-spiked hollandaise nor sriracha-topped tacos with kimchi translate easily.???I made this sauce for the Asian community,??? Mr. Tran said one recent afternoon, seated at headquarters, near a rooster-shaped crystal sculpture.???I knew, after the Vietnamese resettled here, that they would want their hot sauce for their pho,??? a beef broth and noodle soup that is a de facto national dish of Vietnam. ???But I wanted something that I could sell to more than just the Vietnamese,??? he continued.???After I came to America, after I came to Los Angeles, I remember seeing Heinz 57 ketchup and thinking: ???The 1984 Olympics are coming. How about I come up with a Tran 84, something I can sell to everyone???? ???What Mr. Tran developed in Los Angeles in the early 1980s was his own take on a traditional Asian chili sauce. In Sriracha, a town in Chonburi Province, Thailand, where homemade chili pastes are favored, natives do not recognize Mr. Tran???s pur??e as their own. Multicultural appeal was engineered into the product: the ingredient list on the back of the bottle is written in Vietnamese, Chinese, English, French and Spanish. And serving suggestions include pizzas, hot dogs, hamburgers and, for French speakers, p??t??s.???I know it???s not a Thai sriracha,??? Mr. Tran said. ???It???s my sriracha.???Like many immigrants of his generation, David Tran???s journey from Vietnam to America was epic. Unlike many of his contemporaries, Mr. Tran???s travel, and the travel of his family members, was fueled by chili sauces.From 1975 onward, Mr. Tran made sauces from peppers grown by his older brother on a farm just beyond Long Binh, a village north of what was then Saigon. The most popular was an oil-based sauce, perfumed by galangal, a pungent relative of ginger. (Mr. Tran intended it as a dip for beef plucked from bowls of pho, it was more popular as a sauce for roasted dog.)Though he never devised a formal name for his products, Mr. Tran decorated each cap with a rooster, his astrological sign. Production was family focused. Mr. Tran ground the peppers. His father-in-law washed the sauce containers, reusing Gerber baby food jars obtained from American servicemen. His brother-in-law filled the jars with sauce. Itinerant jobbers bought the sauces from Mr. Tran, and sold them to shops and other informal restaurants.By 1979, many of the Tran family???s friends were leaving Vietnam. ???I had enough money saved to buy our way out,??? he said.To limit potential losses, Mr. Tran split the family into four groups: One group went to Indonesia, another to Hong Kong. A third went to Malaysia, and a fourth to the Philippines.David Tran traveled on a freighter, the Huy Fong. Everyone ended up in United Nations refugee camps, before the family finally began to regroup.???I was in Boston,??? Mr. Tran recalled. ???My brother-in-law was in Los Angeles. When we talked on the phone, I asked him, ???Do they have red peppers in Los Angeles???? He said yes. And we left.??????I landed the first week of January in 1980,??? he added. ???By February, I was making sauce.???Mr. Tran did not anticipate the popularity of his take on sriracha. He believed the sauce to be good. He took pride in the augers and other apparatuses he designed for the plant. He liked to tell people that all he did was grind peppers, add garlic and bottle it.He figured that immigrants of Vietnamese ancestry would stock his sriracha at pho shops. He hoped that the occasional American consumer might squirt it on hot dogs and hamburgers.He could never have expected what he found, one recent afternoon, as he trolled the Internet in search of what fans of his sauce have wrought.Mr. Tran scanned pictures of 20-something women in homemade Halloween costumes designed to resemble the Huy Fong bottle. He navigated to one of two sriracha Facebook pages, the larger of which has more than 120,000 fans.He retrieved a favorite picture, of Travis Mason, a 36-year-old coffee salesman from Portland, Ore., who commissioned a tattoo of the Huy Fong logo on his left calf. ???I???m always interested in what they do,??? Mr. Tran said, his voice filled with genuine wonderment.Over the last decade, a number of imitators have entered the sriracha category. A recent visit to grocery stores in the San Gabriel Valley, near the Huy Fong headquarters, yielded Cock brand sriracha from Thailand, Shark brand from China, Phoenix brand from Vietnam and Un
icorn brand, also from Vietnam.Each brand included its namesake animal at the center of the bottle. Some copied Huy Fong???s signature script. Others employed similar green caps.The competition has proved no great hindrance to Huy Fong sales. In 1996, the company expanded, adding processing and storage capacity to meet demand. More than 10 million bottles of sriracha now roll off the Rosemead line each year. With the purchase of a nearby warehouse, the company has begun storing its peppers where Wham-O once manufactured those icons of pop culture, Frisbees and Hula-Hoops.Demand has continued to build. Fleming???s steakhouses now glaze their lobster en fuego entrees with a mix of sriracha and soy sauce. Roly Poly, another national chain, has begun spiking its cashew chicken wraps with squirts of Huy Fong sriracha.At Good Stuff Eatery, a burger restaurant in Washington, the owner, Evangelos Mendelsohn, uses a condiment blend of mayonnaise, Huy Fong sriracha and condensed milk.The Tran family has taken it all in stride. ???We???re happy to see these chefs use our sriracha,??? said Huy Fong???s president, William Tran, the 33-year-old son of its founder. ???But we still sell 80 percent of our product to Asian companies, for distribution through Asian channels. That???s the market we know. That???s the market we want to serve.???

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Awesome, thanks for the read.

I put that stuff on everything. I've been waiting for them to make tshirts...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

http://shop.cafepress.com/design/28383849

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

that is an ugly fuggin design,
    the actual bottle design on a red shirt is what needs to be made, not that...ugggh

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    --------------------------------------

Goes there, and everywhere

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

that is an ugly fuggin design,
    the actual bottle design on a red shirt is what needs to be made, not that...ugggh

they blew it.... I would of definitely bought the bottle design on the shirt in a heartbeat.

This is the shirt I always see, that other one is lame!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    This is the shirt I always see, that other one is lame!

where do you see?

This one I think may be from Urban Outfitters to tell you the truth. I don't think it's very hard to find.

This one I think may be from Urban Outfitters to tell you the truth.

DEFLATION

DEFLATION

No product is safe these days if you haven't noticed, read Cafe Bustelo, Pabst etc. It's all for sale

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    i love the hot cock sauce

i love the hot cock sauce

And Sriracha is good too!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    stinger!

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts

DEFLATION

No product is safe these days if you haven't noticed, read Cafe Bustelo, Pabst etc. It's all for sale

That shirt posted above is actually home-made, I've seen it posted on other sites before.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    http://www.refinery29.com/2013/10/56374/sriracha-lawsuit-factory-shut-down

C'mon, people of California, please don't let the Sriracha factory shut down. Maybe some of you who live near Irwindale can go over there and do something, anything, to keep this from happening. Institute marshall law, evacuate the city, I don't care, just do what is necessary to keep the cock sauce flowing.

• say what you will about Urban Outfitters but they've had some great shirts over the yrs. hatt me.

great spot for last minute gifts, too.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    What happened with the judges decision? Wasn't it yesterday?

Some dude is making a doc on Sriracha.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I could eat cardboard if I'm allowed to put this on it

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I've tried to, but I've never liked it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Overated

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    :NO:

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    If you don't like this then you don't like hot sauce. I've put this stuff on everything for a long time. Always have a bottle in the fridge. really good on black beans and makes great spicy mayo for Japanese style baked shrimp.

I wouldn't be surprised if the neighborhood grew around the factory and now they want to complain. I bet it's actually not that bad for you compared to the paint factory's and laminate places spewing chemicals smells.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    We have a abattoir right downtown in one of the biggest cities in North America. They can't get rid of it. I use to live in the neighbourhood and in the summer it stunk to high heaven. I put up with it tho, because I knew it was there when I moved there. I hate when people move somewhere knowing fully well whats there and start bitching.

Even worse than an abattoir is in my home town there was a giant mushroom farm. THAT WAS AWFUL... It's still there. They can't get rid of it.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I used to live in Washington state and the paper mills stunk up whole towns. There was a paint factory that was in south Seattle and then tried to act like it wasn't them sticking up the neighborhood. That was a case where the neighborhood was there first and the paint eats brain cells. So i understand the complaints there.

I don't know how much luck they are going to have with shutting down the Sriracha plant. I'm sure it's annoying but it's not going to kill you like paint and chemicals.

• I've never understood the fascination with the sauce. It is very good if you mix it with soy sauce. However, I'll take chili oil over Sriracha any day.

I had to Google what an abattoir was... I couldn't imagine living near an abattoir!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rain103 said:
    I've never understood the fascination with the sauce. It is very good if you mix it with soy sauce. However, I'll take chili oil over Sriracha any day.

Its very good sauce (I keep it in my roster) but the fetishizing of the last decade is annoying.
    Fuckin food magazines talmbout Cock Sauce Buffalo wings or "so and so" Chef uses it at his restaurant.
    Mayo eaters patting themselves on the back for reppin' some "exotic" shit.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

Growing up, in my family, the only hot food we knew was fresh grated horseradish.

1974 - Tabasco
    1979 - Pace Picante
    1980 - Rooster Sauce (I don't think the jar had any english besides the required ingredient label. Never heard the word Sriracha until a few years ago.)
    1980 - Dried red chili peppers.
    1995 - Tapatio
    2004 - Acid reflux seriously limited my spicy intake (old man related). Stomach under control now, adding spicy back in. People are right, Sriracha is one good spicy tool, there are lots of others. But it is very good and easy.

I gather that neighbors are trying to shut the plant down.
    No doubt there has been new development in the area, the is new development everywhere.
    No doubt most people living there today were not there in 1980.

But think how much bigger the processing plant is now. In 1980 the stuff was sold in a handful of specialty stores in a handful of markets. It has slowly grown to the point where fast food restaurants are now using it, totally mainstream. That is not the plant people lived close to just a few years back. It may be that Sriracha has out grown it's neighborhood and should move closer to their growers.