Sriracha Revealed

2»

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I just don't think Sriracha would have an appropriate substitute if they were to stop making it. Other hot sauces you can find a similar replacement, this one would take some work to replace, at least where I live.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Growing up, in my family, the only hot food we knew was fresh grated horseradish.

1974 - Tabasco
    1979 - Pace Picante
    1980 - Rooster Sauce (I don't think the jar had any english besides the required ingredient label. Never heard the word Sriracha until a few years ago.)
    1980 - Dried red chili peppers.
    1995 - Tapatio
    2004 - Acid reflux seriously limited my spicy intake (old man related). Stomach under control now, adding spicy back in. People are right, Sriracha is one good spicy tool, there are lots of others. But it is very good and easy.

Beyond Tabasco, some staples in my house as a kid...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I just don't think Sriracha would have an appropriate substitute if they were to stop making it. Other hot sauces you can find a similar replacement, this one would take some work to replace, at least where I live.

I'm just guessing. Haven't bothered to read up.

But why would they stop making it? They must be making good money, cook some chilies down in a little oil and mix some garlic in, sell for premium price. Sounds like a good business plan.
    But apparently they are releasing so many capsaicinoids now that it is irritating the eyes, skin of residents.
    They have 2 choices, move to a more rural location, perhaps right near their pepper growers. Or capture and neutralize the capsaicinoids before they leave the site. And I just thought of a third, send the capsaicinoids out through tall stacks so they dissipate before they bother any one.
    Going out of business makes no sense as a response to neighbor complaints.

These are basic sensible solutions that all kinds of industries take on their own, or are mandated to take, to mitigate air pollution.

If I missed something about the story I am happy to be informed.

I agree, I have tried a few other brands of chili paste. They are different. Not bad, but different.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    batmon said:

Mayo eaters patting themselves on the back for reppin' some "exotic" shit.

Well played

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Quintessential New Yorker article, with a quirky look at an interesting burgeoning subculture rife with controversy and colorful characters, ala "vinyl records are still alive," but I read it. And enjoyed it. Mad Fieri-ism.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    ppadilha said:

But why would they stop making it? They must be making good money, cook some chilies down in a little oil and mix some garlic in, sell for premium price. Sounds like a good business plan.
    But apparently all that they are releasing so many capsaicinoids now that it is irritating the eyes, skin of residents.
    They have 2 choices, move to a more rural location, perhaps right near their pepper growers. Or capture and neutralize the capsaicinoids before they leave the site. And I just thought of a third, send the capsaicinoids out through tall stacks so they dissipate before they bother any one.

These are basic sensible solutions that all kinds of industries take on their own, or are mandated to take, to mitigate air pollution.

I agree, I have tried a few other brands of chili paste. They are different. Not bad, but different.

I don't know how big the city they're in is, but they're already pretty close to the farm that grows the peppers. Apparently people sued because they opened a new, bigger factory and the smell was burning people's eyes and causing headaches. The trial or whatever has been postponed though, and by the time it comes back they'll be done with this year's batch of sauce (they only make the sauce for a few months every year, during the pepper harvest). They already said they'll put in a new ventilation system to keep the smell from spreading, so I assume they won't have to close the factory.

My friend grew up next to a landfill. His house filled up with radon once. Gimme cock fumes any day!

ppadilha said:
    LaserWolf said:
    ppadilha said:

But apparently all that they are releasing so many capsaicinoids now that it is irritating the eyes, skin of residents.

I don't know how big the city they're in is, but they're already pretty close to the farm that grows the peppers. Apparently people sued because they opened a new, bigger factory and the smell was burning people's eyes and causing headaches. The trial or whatever has been postponed though, and by the time it comes back they'll be done with this year's batch of sauce (they only make the sauce for a few months every year, during the pepper harvest). They already said they'll put in a new ventilation system to keep the smell from spreading, so I assume they won't have to close the factory.

Sounds like problem solved.

Now we need a Salma Hayek.

SALMA_OELEK?

• check out the fake ass grill marks on that slimy, processed chicken:

dukeofdelridge said:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i like to see teh industrial sized sriracha container they use for that shit.

im waiting for cock sauce doritos for the overexposure.

batmon said:
    i like to see teh industrial sized sriracha container they use for that shit.

im waiting for cock sauce doritos for the overexposure.

How's that for a triple threat of ridiculous flavors?

• dukeofdelridge said:

How's that for a triple threat of ridiculous flavors?

in a headline that will never be printed anywhere else:

CANADA FIRES BACK

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Those lays were awful...

Sriracha were weak.

The maple moose ones pretty gross IMO.

vintageinfants said:

in a headline that will never be printed anywhere else:

CANADA FIRES BACK

They should do that disgusting french fry flavor all you all up there like.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon said:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lee-kum-kee-spices-up-meal-time-with-introduction-of-sriracha-mayo-sauce-230640671.html

PatrickCrazy said:
    batmon said:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lee-kum-kee-spices-up-meal-time-with-introduction-of-sriracha-mayo-sauce-230640671.html

GAME OVER

• i read the nutritional information of cock sauce over breakfast this morning.....

per 5g of sauce - 1g of sugar.

20 f'n percent of it.

Ummm... what are you talking about.
    Mine has zero sugar. Did you mean salt?

• LaserWolf said:
    Ummm... what are you talking about.
    Mine has zero sugar. Did you mean salt?

The Huy Fong Sriracha lists sugar as the second ingredient.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I am told that a certain Clownburger outfit blesses it's fries with a 50/50 salt/sugar mixture.

THAT IS WHY THEY TASTE SO GOOD.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    I am told that a certain Clownburger outfit blesses it's fries with a 50/50 salt/sugar mixture.

THAT IS WHY THEY TASTE SO GOOD.

They also use beef fat in the cooking oil. It became a bit of a to-do when folks in India found out about that. A kerfuffle, if you will.

I said before that I never heard the word sriracha until a few years ago, but I have been eating Rooster Sauce since early 80s.
    As usual, I have no idea what you all are talking about. I have been talking about something completely different. I've eaten either the Chili Sauce, or the Garlic Chili sauce. I have never bought a jar of the sriracha sauce. I tend to read labels, and would have rejected the one with sugar.

This is the jar that is in my fridge now.
    srirachi 002
    srirachi 001

Rooster yes, sugar no.

isnt the chili sauce its own thang and sriracha the cult fav?

Apparently.
    I am

Nothing new there.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I use the garlic chilli sauce almost as much as siracha.

One time the pantry was virtually empty so ended up searing a pork shoulder, rubbing it with the garlic chilli stuff and salt, and then braising in mai tai mixer. It turned out great.