no records - no spinning?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i meant to say at the beginning that i hate the term 'spinning'

it's too

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Pause for the cause.

The number one reason people should use micro is now you can have every f*cking shitty song you ever wanted not take up half your place or have to carry that shit to your event.

Now you dudes can have people over and not feel embarrassed when people go through your collection finding barbie girl by aqua 12" in there...

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

mad heads here seem to be more obsessed with the records themselves, instead of the actual music.

no. a better quality recording makes for a better listening experience. there are real reasons why OG copies sound better. there are also OG copies that sound like crap and have been improved with remastering and reissue. you should know more about that than anybody on here. so stop with that go collect stamps shit.

im not talking about shit tin can mp3s.

re-read my post, and re-read what you quoted. then re-read people's posts saying just because vinyl is getting played it makes things that much better.
    lets recognize the difference between people who care more about the vinyl that music is on, vs. the music itself. maybe the stamp comment will sink in.

sonically speaking...it's good to know everybody complaining on ss about this, have trained super sonic dog ears that can pinpoint what frequencies are missing !!!! dead that. yall sound ridiculous.

ive done this with other people before.....lets bet money, i know for a fact you will not be able to tell the difference, if i play a wav vs vinyl.

it sounds more like this hate has to do with things being better on vinyl, just because you see it.
    go blind, lets see the difference.

"i cant go out and enjoy music unless i know its being played from vinyl"

"i cant go to shows because the bands today dont always play instruments"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The number one reason people should use micro is now you can have every f*cking shitty song you ever wanted not take up half your place or have to carry that shit to your event.

The number one reason why people should use Microwave is because opens up a world of possibilities as to what one is able to play, and how one is able to manipulate it, period. Jesus you people are so f*cking provincial with your philosophies.

There was the same argument 13 years ago with the advent of the Pioneer CDJ. People were like "It's not authentic to not use vinyl."

As for Hook-Up's idea that people who don't strictly dance and appreciate music that is played on original vinyl just like the idea of music is ludicrous. There's a whole other world out there outside of Memphis, dog. Just saying... And not directed at him, but I really refuse to accept that this philosophy doesn't have at least some root in insecurity. People are people and it takes all different types, nahmean?

But I understand the basic idea of what this post is trying to talk about. Shit, nowadays anyone can get anything and I agree - there's a different connection to the music as opposed to me, a dude who has been doing this for a long time, the vast majority of that time using vinyl[/b]. But it is what it is. Who really cares? And why?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    And on the real, dudes having arguments with motherfucking KON[/b] about vinyl are just silly as shit. Dude has forgotten more about music than a lot of dudes on here have ever even known in the first place.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I was just being sarcastic...

But check this. Microwave is old hat. Catch me at the club using this instead.

http://gizmodo.com/5237163/tonium-pacemaker-portable-dj-system-for-aspiring-and-novice-djs

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I find the attitude that people who don't go to see some vinyl only night are not concerned with music or sound quality totally condescending.

I guess it's meant to be, though.

is this responding to me? that's not what I'm saying!

No, I just thought you were kind of backing into that argument.... which I feel is just totally fucked up. I re-read your post and I get what you're saying, though.

I wrote in haste to run an errand, I did mean to say that both need to be adaptable, etc. I totally agree with this:

I mean, all-vinyl DJs play to the crowd too - or they should be. It's the worst kind of DJ that throws down his prized record, notices the floor clearing, shakes his head and sucks his teeth, later writing on a message board that "people just have shitty taste."

but cripes - reading through this thread, I can't believe I'm the only one that got accused of being condescending!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was just being sarcastic...

But check this. Microwave is old hat. Catch me at the club using this instead.

http://gizmodo.com/5237163/tonium-pacemaker-portable-dj-system-for-aspiring-and-novice-djs

Yeah I have one of those things. They're mad cool. I have a mix using that soon to be published.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How come homosexuality is always implicated when SoulStrut dudes start talking about bad music? Just wondering...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Some seem to think they only need to look sharp in suit to get the job done.

And some of them don't even dress that great

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Well Mark, you've always been a sharp dresser behind the decks as well as in front. But then again you're a good DJ too.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    How come homosexuality is always implicated when SoulStrut dudes start talking about bad music? Just wondering...

[color:pink]THE GAY TAKEOVER. [/color]

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

"Page me"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Well Mark, you've always been a sharp dresser behind the decks as well as in front. But then again you're a good DJ too.

Thank you. But you know I'm only in it for the chicks anyway. I'm just making sure I have my bases covered.

And for the record: Cosmo & mannybolone KILL IT using Microwave. So I ain't mad at that program at all. Like many above have said, we're talking a "boutique DJ" vs. "general club DJ" difference here. It's a question of using the correct tools for the right task.

mad heads here seem to be more obsessed with the records themselves, instead of the actual music.

no. a better quality recording makes for a better listening experience. there are real reasons why OG copies sound better. there are also OG copies that sound like crap and have been improved with remastering and reissue. you should know more about that than anybody on here. so stop with that go collect stamps shit.

im not talking about shit tin can mp3s.

re-read my post, and re-read what you quoted.

cold busted. i missed those two statements. my bad.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

YES!!!

Bassie - I didn't accuse you of being condescending! I swear! hahaha.

And on the real, dudes having arguments with motherfucking KON[/b] about vinyl are just silly as shit. Dude has forgotten more about music than a lot of dudes on here have ever even known in the first place.

i know it's like being able to spar with Sugar Ray Leonard. accept i fell down and passed out putting on my gloves.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dude come on, people who like music only attend rare soul nights?

DJs who use Microwave don't have taste?

People who want to hear a wide variety of music must be transsexual ADD cases?

take your mouth off

oh for F*ck's sake Johnny...it was a joke

you love to try and find some hidden homophobic agenda in my posts, this isnt the first time.

I was making reference that someone mentioned that one dudes "gay takeover" thread as an argument for microwave, as well as the "feeling for changes in the crowd".

Jokes man.
    Jokes.

Also, the only super W I D E variety of music being played experience I have been involved with is weddings, where drunk Uncle George wants to get down to "Back in Black" AND "YMCA"....most clubs have a certain vibe going on throughout the night...I dont consider hip hop and club music and disco to be a W I D E genre change throughout the night.

I wasnt calling DJs who use microwave to be void of taste...it just seems from the situations it is used in, and some the situations dudes are championing on here as an argument for microwave being superior are the non-genre focused nights...if you are going out to party but dont have specific requirements for your musical entetainment, just want something to dance and drink to, then the DJ's taste really isnt the number 1 priority, is it?

If you cant find the silliness in that post, then, oh well...so as far as me "taking my mouth off", whatever

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think Jonny said it best:

This is a false argument

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I wasnt calling DJs who use microwave to be void of taste...it just seems from the situations it is used in, and some the situations dudes are championing on here as an argument for microwave being superior are the non-genre focused nights...if you are going out to party but dont have specific requirements for your musical entetainment, just want something to dance and drink to, then the DJ's taste really isnt the number 1 priority, is it?

It really doesn't sound like you know much about the type of DJing that me and many of my contemporaries do. Just saying.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

It really doesn't sound like you know much about the type of DJing that me and many of my contemporaries do. Just saying.

Im aware of what you do, but you are a DJ with a known name...Im guessing most people go to the club where you are spinning because Cosmo Baker is spinning, you made a name for yourself being a great DJ...you tour....you are a pro in the strictest sense of the word. Im talking about the guy who DJs at the downtown club in middleoftheroad America where people are hitting the club regardless of who is behind the decks...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Im aware of what you do, but you are a DJ with a known name...Im guessing most people go to the club where you are spinning because Cosmo Baker is spinning, you made a name for yourself being a great DJ...you tour....you are a pro in the strictest sense of the word. Im talking about the guy who DJs at the downtown club in middleoftheroad America where people are hitting the club regardless of who is behind the decks...

Yeah but just to play devil's advocate those same type of dudes were DJing the same type of sets and those same types of clubs 5 years ago when all they had was dollar bin records, killer kutz and Satanik Mashup blend records. It says more about the DJ, the crowd, the venue and the community more than it does about the particular application. There are always going to be those type of guys.

There's there's the dude playing Billy Joel tunes at the local Italian restaurant and then there's McCoy Tyner.

I for one think that it's great - and crucial - that we have DJs that continue to play strictly vinyl, and I also think that they should take pride in that aspect. And I also agree that with certain situations it's more than appropriate to stay strictly vinyl, like strictly funk or garage nights in which the playing of vinyl lends itself to the aesthetic. But in the bigger picture there's so many lanes out there and there's room for everyone. Shit, I've cleared so many floors because I've come to cities where I've been booked at places that wanted to hear Young MC and I've just done what I do, so in that sense the dude who plays AC/DC with Fatman Scoop yelling all on top of it has me beat. I dunno, just a thought. So I'm not mad at those dudes for doing what they do cause it has it's time and place. It's just not the place for me, or for you. But that's not Microwave's fault.

By the way, shit I wish I could do with vinyl what I do with Microwave. It would be a dream come true. The sound isn't the same as it is with vinyl, and more importantly the action isn't the same. But it's the trade-off. I'm cool with that. However, that does kind of answer the original question: YES, there is nothing like actually holding that piece of vinyl in your hand, IMO.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Satanik Mashup blend records.

God, I hated those things.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

who was talking about homosexuality and bad music?

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    I seriously think s.erato has changed the game for good. It has given dj's the power to play a wider spectrum, and jump genres incredibly easily by sorting through bpm. Doing that before would require dedication of stickering your records, marking bpm's down.

no.
    for me it's exactly the opposite. all my bpms are still in my head, even in the s.erato era, because of all those years playing vinyl with no bpm counter, no labeled bpms, that is what you get when you play vinyl to start. even if it's pitch dark you just see your spines and regardless of genre you can hunt out everything that will mix with the track that's playing.
    now it's very easy. and that's fine. its just that if you have never been on a vinyl format it's likely that you just won't develop that added sense.
    s.erato makes it a more boring experience for DJ's because you don't start your night by sitting at your house looking through the crates and shelves, spending the time, building your set for the night from one record you pull and then pulling each one out one by one, building your vibe for the night, and being more present not to sound cliche but it's very true. that process of 'pulling' is a meditation for any dj who has done that, night upon night, year upon year. and that aspect is gone with s.erato, even with cd's. that meditation is gone, that process is no longer there. some people would say that is convenient, they can go from whatever they are doing to just putting their laptop bag over a shoulder and going to a gig. no thinking, super easy. sure some people build "crates" on s.erato for different gigs, different nights, but it's not the same. i have moved forward and will play on any format, but playing on vinyl, as many people have acknowledged in this thread, involves much more than just the mere format difference.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Is this "debate" still happening??

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    im pretty sure you can play vinyl and use microwave at the sametime dudes, whats the big deal here? although ive made the switch to microwheezy i still bring a bag of records... don't you?

also who the f*ck would do a "northern soul" night and spin microwave? no one. on the flip who would do a top 40 night and spin all wax (if they had s.erato)? no one...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Is this "debate" still happening??

Yes, one day we will reach

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    that process of 'pulling' is a meditation for any dj who has done that

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    that process of 'pulling' is a meditation for any dj who has done that

yes. congratulations. you are bored.