What CHEESES are You Eating?

13»

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Anything from Spain, is always good, imo.

Does headcheese count?;) Cause I have been feeling this from Boccalone:

oh hell no...i was turned off to the stuff permantly when I first tried it and there was a piece of something with hair/fur on it in it. Granted I probably shouldnt had my first taste at a breakfast in a semi-crappy German hotel, but I will not ever be able to get that out of my head enough to try it again.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    WTF is headcheese?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    WTF is headcheese?

all the parts scraped off a cow's head, boiled and aged in gelatin

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    WTF is headcheese?

Oh, pat??.

If someone said 'headcheese' over here, chances are they would be referring to something you'd never want to be eating.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    My partner ate some Colby a couple of nights ago, first bite, there was a stone in it & it cracked half her molar off. She is in pain.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    St-Andr??. Nxet.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Cumin laced cheese is my shit

on some acquired taste type shit

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    St-Andr??. Nxet.

Definitely a nice one.

Ski queen kind of tastes like blood, but I'm into it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    WTF is headcheese?

In Denmark we have the same thing, but made from a pig's head instead of a cow's. It's called "sylte".
    Never felt the urge to eat it.

And I can't think of the word "headcheese" without thinking of this guy:

Sorry for extending the threadjack, back to the real cheese.

• Cyprus Grove Humboldt Fog

This stuff is like crack. They have another one called Truffle Tremor (with truffle oil and small pieces of black truffle) that is incredible.

I second the vote on the Cyprus Grove. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of their cheeses. Humboldt fog is pretty excellent. But I'd say that at this point in north america, most people live near an artisan cheese maker.

And it's almost always worth it to go local.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    WTF is headcheese?

Oh, pat??.

If someone said 'headcheese' over here, chances are they would be referring to something you'd never want to be eating.

no, a classic pate is made w/ livers, commonly duck or chicken livers. The similarity between headcheese and pate is that they both use aspic.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    in the fridge right now...
    block of parmigiano reggiano
    2 wedges of iberico...a nice spanish sheep
    dwindling wedge of Manchego...also spanish
    some aged gouda
    a fresh mozzarella ball
    chevre
    blue cheese
    sliced provolone and swiss
    and some hard cheese someone brought me back from italy that doubles well for parmesan, with a little twist

someone called me a vegan on here a couple weeks back.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    past couple years i've been eating a lot of raw (non pasteurized) cheeses. i'm also digging all the cheese being made nowadays with vegetarian rennet. cheese is probably one of my favorite foods (sorry heart!) but i keep consumption to a moderate level.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    Do yourself a favor and try some Midnight Moon if you're into their lineup. It's the kron. speaking of cypress grove, it's funny when you consider such a sophisticated product coming from a place(McKinleyville) we fondly refer to as McStealyville, McKinletucky and/or Oklahoma-by-the-sea.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Cumin laced cheese is my shit

on some acquired taste type shit[/b]

cumin is for acquired tastes?! where the hell have I been!!??

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I once found a tooth in some headcheese!

}:) haha

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I once found a tooth in some headcheese!

}:) haha

I once prepared veal head cheese myself.
    Starting with pulling the face off the skull.
    The fur had already been removed before that, my guess is that happened with boiling water and a sharp knife just like pigs get shaven during slaughter, right after the kill. There was still a bit of facial hair present, so I was standing there in this kitchen with the face of a baby cow over my left hand and giving it a second shave with a very razor sharp knife, also removing the long eyelashes. It felt seriously TCM... then, when the face was nice and clean, I chopped it into cubes. The actual prepareation of headcheese is kinda like making Jello. If it's done right, it's delicious and best served with a balsamico/olive oil vinaigrette with capers.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    WTF is headcheese?

Oh, pat??.

We call Headcheese 'Brawn' in the UK, if that makes it any clearer.

Its more like a meat terrine than a smooth or mushed up Pate

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    WTF is headcheese?

Oh, pat??.

1. There is no "aging" or fermentation involved in the production of headcheese. The name headcheese itself is kinda misleading and not really apetizing. If done the right way, it can be really delicious.

2. Pat?? is something entirely different to headcheese.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Thanks for clearing that up, I guess.

Apart from salami/sausage, and a few others, I really can't stand cold meat at all. So I'm happily ignorant about such things.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    FYI, the most recent issue of the Art of Eating has an excellent article on Head Cheese and charcuterie in general.