What CHEESES are You Eating?

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

Habanero Cheddar
    dam that sounds

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Cambozola - German cheese that's a combination of French Camembert and Italian Gorgonzola.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

That shit aint cheese.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I love cheese.

I cop the organic ones from local producers as well as some regulars. goat, sheep, cow...

must: aged pecorino and raw milk normandie camambert

special recommendation: crottin de chavignol is the truth if grilled for a minute and served with salad.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

That shit aint cheese.

That shit just ain't fancy pantz cheese. It says cheese, cheese, cheddar, real cheddar, and real.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

That shit aint cheese.

That shit just ain't fancy pantz cheese. It says cheese, cheese, cheddar, real cheddar, and real.

LOL

It also says "made with", "pub" and "spreadable"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

That shit aint cheese.

That shit just ain't fancy pantz cheese.

B-b-but it says gourmet!

• Comte.

Rhkntd. Game over

Other gruyeres but got to be 12 year cave aged.

Mizithra folded into spghetti al burro

Sharp dubliners

Man so so many. Cheese is my shit

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I asked my wife what kind of cheese she gave me last night and she called me a Munster! WTF was that for?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I asked my wife what kind of cheese she gave me last night and she called me a Munster! WTF was that for?

thats my favorite grilled cheese sandwich cheese

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    my girlfriend is kitchen queen...Last year I was subjected to a trial by cheese. Somehow, I made it out alive.

I maxed out at something that smelled like skateboard kneepads rubbed in dirt...with each new cheese up to that one, I was able to convince myself that "yeah, this isn't so bad--it's actually quite good, with its brain-looking mold veins--I love this!"

...but really, after this cheese (I'll find out what it was called), I had to admit that I really just top out at restaurant bleu. Gimmedat pepperjack and I'll melt it in my g.foreman grill (no "-e" even, on the "grille") and I'm straight.

I like boring ass rap and classique rock too.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Idiazabal
    Mahon
    Manchego
    Queso Ibores
    Drunken Goat (Queso de Cabra al Vino)

Step that shit up!

I like this list! Folls need to get the book below and if you are in Manhattan, get down to Murray's!!!!

http://www.murrayscheese.com/

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    on the drunken goat...good stuff

ya ever have a piece of havarti with a Calamata olive? awesome

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Consume on the regular:

Kefalograviera (for Saganaki)
    Parrano
    Manchego
    Derby Sage
    Bulgarian Feta
    Fresh Mozzarella

Feta is sheep dude

The cheap domestic stuff you buy at the store is usually cow's milk. Check the ingredients next time if you don't believe me, but this is why domestic feta is so bland. I only F*ck with Bulgarian Feta these days.

Greek markets are a great place to go for good prices on cheese. I buy the Bulgarian Feta by the bucket there, as well as the fresh Mozzarella and Kefalograviera for close to half what I'd pay at a normal grocer.

Anybody ever had Casu marzu (maggot cheese)?

Derived from Pecorino, Casu marzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most would consider decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down of the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called lagrima, from the Sardinian for "tears") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as translucent white worms, about 8 millimetres (0.3 in) long.[1] When disturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres[/b] (6 in). Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming; others do not.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

I often asked myself if could try it. This could become definitely a test of stamina. So far I haven't seen it offered but if I get to Sardinia one day ... I would pick out the larvae before trying. Don't want them to make 6 inch leaps in my stomach.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Got this at Wegman's last year... INSANE. Swedish sharp cheddar with vodka.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Cousin Larry knows whats up. Humboldt Fog is that GOOOOOD. Cypress Grove makes some of the best cheeses on earth. I also highly recommend their Purple Haze, a soft goat cheese with lavender and fennel pollen. You can't front on that on toast for breakfast.

If you really want to get into cheeses, start looking for stuff that is unpasteurized.

Some of my faves:

Cacio Di Roma--relatively inexpensive Italian sheep's milk cheese that melts so good. They also make a version with red pepper flakes in it (yo J**t*n).

Fiore Di Sardo--Aged Italian Sheep's milk cheese, hard, and salty, and outrageously good.

Burrough Market's 5 year cheddar-- English cheddar. They age it underground. It's the only cheddar that I'm a fan of. Outrageous grilled cheese.

Bucheron--ohh lala. Ripened goats milk cheese, with a semi-pungent rind, followed by super creamy immediate interior, and a firmer but spreadable core.

Garrotxa--Raw goat's milk cheese from Spain. Aged underground. Crystal clear crispy flavor, very light, but also very pungent.

Cordobes--Spanish sheep's milk cheese. Similar to Cacio di roma.

Ossau Irraty--This one is killer. Raw sheep's milk cheese from Basque France. I can't really convey how necessary this one is.

Midnight Moon (Yo AKallday, and Raj)--aged goat gouda from the fantastic Cypress Grove creamery. Doesn't get too much nicer than this for goudas. Bread, figs, this cheese, and the broiler=snack supreme.

Haloumi--if you're bout your greek cheeses try this one. It's traditionally served pan-fried.

Unfortunately I'm not so up on Air Shipped cheeses, which is the real baller shit.

Yo Bigspliff, feel free to cross out this post if it offends you.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

There is no way in hell I would ever eat this stuff.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Cousin Larry knows whats up. Humboldt Fog is that GOOOOOD. Cypress Grove makes some of the best cheeses on earth. I also highly recommend their Purple Haze, a soft goat cheese with lavender and fennel pollen. You can't front on that on toast for breakfast.

All of their cheese names sound like the type of names that get tagged on good weed. I was commenting to my wife the other night that I think I smoked some humbolt fog when I was in high school.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Just so there's no confusion:

this is Munster Cheese:

this is not Munster and it's not cheese, it's processed crap:

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Yo Bigspliff, feel free to cross out this post if it offends you.

ha, I was actually thinking that as I read through your "I hang at the yuppie cheese shoppe" descriptions, but now you kind of beat me to the punch.

Anyway, good food is about people, places, things, to each their own, mangia, and some other stuff that Lydia Bastianich might say.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

It also says "made with", "pub" and "spreadable"

I'm going for a "sounds like me and your girlfriend last saturday night" joke here, but I'm having trouble getting the right phrasing. DB, a li'l help?

I'm on that fakin' the funk Costco cheez steez right now. My wife really likes the Dubliner they've had recently. When the farmer's markets start to get going in the summer we'll probably step our game up a little.

• Who's F*ck*ng with Curds though?

Microwave or on the frying pan.. HOT FIRE!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    They say its delicious with Whey.....?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my two current faves...

monte enebro (spain)

riopelle (quebec)

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

ha, I was actually thinking that as I read through your "I hang at the yuppie cheese shoppe" descriptions, but now you kind of beat me to the punch.

Nah, other side of the counter. Used to work in the specialty department at whole foods, so I was constantly drafting descriptions that the yuppies could then read and recite to their homeyups.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    my two current faves...

monte enebro (spain)

riopelle (quebec)

yes and yes!

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    my two current faves...

monte enebro (spain)

riopelle (quebec)

yes and yes!

Damn those both look tasty as hell, semi-soft goats milk cheeses are dangerous

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Anything from Spain, is always good, imo.

Does headcheese count?;) Cause I have been feeling this from Boccalone:

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    Taleggio
    Cave-aged Gruyere
    Rogue Gorgonzola
    Prima Donna.

Word.

COSIGN ON TALEGGIO- hella good.
    BOUCHERON(DIN)
    TOMME DE SAVOIE - stinkiest cheese I've ever had (socks/garbage/all that) but mighty tasty...
    HUMBOLDT FOG
    GREEK STRING CHEESE (whatever it's called)

I'm easy on brie- while schmancy triple creams make me happy, so does some cheap art opening brie too.

Anyone ever have Ski Queen? That weird, caramel-colored cheese that comes in a plastic-wrapped cube

Cheap, and good on a cracker!