Gay Marriage (NRR)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Iowa and Vermont. Awesome.You guys can hash it out for the rest of the thread.I know there are a couple of folks on here who are against it. Don't be scurred. Keep it civil.My .02 is that, 20 years from now, it'll be completely normal and our kids will wonder what it was like back when teh gayz couldn't get married.

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

My .02 is that, 20 years from now, it'll be completely normal and our kids will wonder what it was like back when teh gayz couldn't get married.

I hope you are right.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Maybe 30...

• I've debated this issue with my pops every now and then. he's against, I'm for it. However, one of my siblings has come out of the closet but not to my dad so I'm wondering if this revelation will have any impact on his opinion.
    I doubt it's ever legalized here in Indiana though...too many fundy xians control our legislature. But hell, we went blue for the first time since the sixties so it's possible...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've debated this issue with my pops every now and then. he's against, I'm for it. However, one of my siblings has come out of the closet but not to my dad so I'm wondering if this revelation will have any impact on his opinion.
    I doubt it's ever legalized here in Indiana though...too many fundy xians control our legislature. But hell, we went blue for the first time since the sixties so it's possible...

It will come to Indiana, sooner than later.
    Can't be stopped.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    im just tired of all this domestic partner crap. its confusing at work when some guy tells me he has a dp and some woman comes in. not that a dp couldnt be a woman but its the only way the gays can say theyre not single.

WHEN WILL THESE CONFUSING SITUATIONS STOP?!?!?!

really cant we all just marry who we want to? isnt being free the "american way"?

• My .02 is that, 20 years from now, it'll be completely normal and our kids will wonder what it was like back when teh gayz couldn't get married.

It's the lunatic fringe looks back on George Wallace as a hero.
    And, that same fringe will look back on their failed, 'marriage ammendments,' 30 years from now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The state legislature is stuck on some civil unions bill that keeps going back and forth. It stays hidden pretty well but Hawaii's Christian presence is hella scary.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009904080381

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    people actually use the term domestic partner???

that sounds even worse than when people call their bf, gf, wife or husband their partner.

apparently the american way idea of being free has caught on much faster in other countries.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Maybe 30...

But within our lifetime.* Which is pretty crazy to think about.

(Assuming I live to make it to my late 60s)

• really cant we all just marry who we want to? isnt being free the "american way"?

I have yet to hear a compelling argument explaining why the gays should not be allowed to marry. Don't we have graver concerns in this world than preventing people from making a monogamous commitment to each other? I'm tired of people foisting their religious beliefs on the rest of us and masking it in the guise of "traditional values/constitution/blah blah blah". Your god doesn't have the right to tell anyone what to do other than you.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

that sounds even worse than when people call their bf, gf, wife or husband their partner.

apparently the american way idea of being free has caught on much faster in other countries.

well if i asked you if youre single, married, divorced, widowed, separated, common law or partnered and youre a gay woman whose been with her "friend" for 10years what would you call yourself?

these are the choices most people get on forms and the terms that our hospital (that is located in ohio, hawaii, oregon, etc) uses that are federally and state acceptable.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

really cant we all just marry who we want to? isnt being free the "american way"?

I have yet to hear a compelling argument explaining why the gays should not be allowed to marry. Don't we have graver concerns in this world than preventing people from making a monogamous commitment to each other? I'm tired of people foisting their religious beliefs on the rest of us and masking it in the guise of "traditional values/constitution/blah blah blah". Your god doesn't have the right to tell anyone what to do other than you.
    but if the gays marry then my marriage isnt special anymore and god doesnt like that

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    partner

Ugh. I am all for gay marriage and equal rights and all of that. But they need to come up with a better word. One that doesn't have so many other uses.

If the gay community HAS to go with "partner" then hetero folks can't use it. Like Jinx said, it's mad confusing. A number of years ago this cat told me him and his partner had a baby. I was sure dude was straight, and I couldn't even hear what he was saying after that because I was on some Seinfeld-esque interior monologue shit. Had me perplexed for like five minutes. Some people on here were taking issue with older people using the terms "boyfriend" and "girlfriend." I'll take that any day over "partner."

Straight people have the right to marry, so they have to take the hit on the gender-neutral term of choice. Dealeth.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

If the gay community HAS to go with "partner" then hetero folks can't use it.

Why shouldn't everyone use it?

Because people won't be clear on the speaker's orientation?

Who cares?

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Or how about when you are talking about your business partner and people make assumptions? Not that I care, but it's kinda funny.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    This dude has been killing it for me lately, especially on this issue. Particularly liked the update story on this one, a totally different kind of douchey McCain!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I say significant other and then stress "her" or "she". Ha.

And yeah, lots of people say that. So many people live together, own houses/condos, and have kids that aren't married. Yet it sounds ridiculous after all that to say, "Yeah this is my girlfriend."

For my own situation the only thing missing is the paper. When you say girlfriend people think of high school-type relationships.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

My .02 is that, 20 years from now, people will look back on the banning of gay marriage as we look back on woman and blacks being denied the right to vote]/b]

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Gay divorce court is going to be FABULOUS!!!!

Gay adoption is going to be the real issue.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Gay adoption is going to be the real issue.

Why?

It's already more legally feasible than gay marriage.

Check out how desperate the religious right is getting with this bullshit. Watch their video at the following link:
    https://secure.couragecampaign.org/page/contribute/TurnFearIntoHope

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Check out how desperate the religious right is getting with this bullshit. Watch their video at the following link:
    https://secure.couragecampaign.org/page/contribute/TurnFearIntoHope

I don't get it... Somebody explain me please how gay marriage does affect the life of ordinary heterosexual people???

Here are the issues as stated in the ad:
    It will bring the issue into your life.
    It will take away your freedoms.
    Doctors must choose between their faith and their job.
    Teachers will teach that homosexuality is ok. Already happening in MA.
    Churches will be punished. Already happening in NJ.
    It will change the way you live, you will have no choice.

When I lived in Oklahoma, about '75, I remember a guy telling us how messed up San Francisco was.
    "You can't even beat up faggots there, it's against the law."

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    I'm not familiar with the case, but how does same-sex marriage affect how doctors practice their profession?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    They passed the law in Sweden a week ago.

It. Makes. No. Sense.

But I guess when you're fear-mongering, you don't have to.

The RR (religious right) can run pretty good campaigns but I feel like they're overreacting right now, spending a lot of money on national ads when there's nothing they're exactly running against. Seems like a waste of resources.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

These allegations are totally pointless because the reasons and examples for them are missing.I can't re-enact not one of them...

I'm not familiar with the case, but how does same-sex marriage affect how doctors practice their profession?

You* would have to ask the RR, but here are a few.
    Your faith says that gays shouldn't be married thus you don't want to give medical information to someones companion of 20 years.
    Your faith says that gays shouldn't be married thus you don't want to allow someones spouse to visit them in ICU.
    Your faith says that gays shouldn't be married thus you don't want to treat gay people.

But all these laws, rules and ethics are forcing you to go against your faith.

*'you' refers to the actor who plays a doctor in the commercial.

• Your boy's point-of-view...

Although Barack Obama has said that he supports civil unions, he is against gay marriage. In an interview with the Chicago Daily Tribune, Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.