Out of place weekend finds

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    nice find faux!

Aresinio Rodriguez is incredible, i found sabu's "palo congo" last year and my jaw still drops from his playing on it.

Also rey, that freddie rodriguez is so good, reluctantly bought it only to have my face melted, best dollar i spent last year.

peace,xavier

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I like the fact people are talking about records. I have many a time flipped past straight chud to find ultra raers:

Birmingham Sunday in boxes of doodoo
    Age of flying high in similar boxes of dung
    Lyman woodard behind a Bowie lp at 11am in a box of rock

My local diggin friend Chr*s copped a 4 figure blues 7" in a similar fashion last year, I slept!

Finding heat in straight chud is pretty much my favorite way of pullin raers, way more satisfying than the "shopping" experience that stores, eBay and even shows/dealers provide, that's why they call it diggin son!!!

• ive seen your finds i dont think youre not finding good stuff. yorue also in the east bay and have a lot of competition. maybe you just need to step your game up and knock jesse and charlie off their gold and silver platforms.

I don't think it's an issue of finding good stuff -- it's more like, I might have to drive to Napa and back, hitting 30 spots and ending up with like five good records. Often (once a week), I will literally go to every single thrift store (that I know about) in the City (17 including Daly City) and come home empty handed.

You're right though, I am in the East Bay and the damn game is dirty out here.

• This happens to me on a daily basis. It's basically why I hate the Bay Area for buying records --

Yesterday, at every place I went (8) I found ONE record mixed with a bunch of shit that didn't come close to matching.

Examples:

Rick Stanley - Song Of Life (still sealed and mixed in with a ton of Barbara Streisand and classical)
    "Poncho" Perez - Green & Yellow (1 f*cking Brazillian record mixed with a bunch Andy Williams / Mantovani type shit)

It never ends

wait, isn't this why it's called "digging"?

• Coincidentally, I've been listening to this one all week:

Highly recommended. Totally unique sound. Arsenio plays tres and has two saxophone players on it.

This is the one I come back to the most of all my Arsenio records. Wild vocals throughout.

Definitely a 'Wife's Away, Time to Play,' record.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just found an Arsenio Rodriguez 10" EP (plays @ 33.3) on Tico at my local Goodwill.

YES PLAESE

This shit looks dope as shit - nice pull, Daniel.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yeah, and my "out of place weekend find" consists of a 2 bedroom coop in Fort Green, like 50 yards from the park. They accepted our offer and we're going into contract. Boo-yah...

• was going through a box of has beens & never will be's and this ejected from a rock lp in mint shape!

http://www.popsike.com/MODERN-SOUL-45-LARRY-JACKSON-LISTEN/170221416622.html

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Was going through some crates at the local fleamarket which looked something like this:

James Last
    James Last
    Polka LP
    Schlager LP
    James Last
    The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra
    James Last

If you see this one take it home with you

nah F*ck that LP, even though it's awesome compared to James Last standards, in the real world that means it still sucks balls...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like the fact people are talking about records. I have many a time flipped past straight chud to find ultra raers:

Birmingham Sunday in boxes of doodoo
    Age of flying high in similar boxes of dung
    Lyman woodard behind a Bowie lp at 11am in a box of rock

My local diggin friend Chr*s copped a 4 figure blues 7" in a similar fashion last year, I slept!

Finding heat in straight chud is pretty much my favorite way of pullin raers, way more satisfying than the "shopping" experience that stores, eBay and even shows/dealers provide, that's why they call it diggin son!!!

YAHMEAN?

I DON'T SEE ANY REAL "DIGGING ETHICS" BEING DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD.

IN FACT MOST OF THE POSTS I SEE IN THIS THREAD ARE FROM A BUNCH OF WHINY DUDES WHO DON'T / NEVER DUG DEEP ONCE, POSTED IN THE WEEKEND FINDS THREAD, PROVED THEY DUG OR FOUND SQUAT, AND NEVER ONCE IN THEIR LIVES BOUGHT HEAVY RECORDS OR COLLECTIONS.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Coincidentally, I've been listening to this one all week:

Highly recommended. Totally unique sound. Arsenio plays tres and has two saxophone players on it.

This is the one I come back to the most of all my Arsenio records. Wild vocals throughout.

Really?

I haven't had a chance to play it for her yet, but I was thinking how much my S.O. would like this record.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    My daughter found this toy truck down behind the garden fence. It was blue and plastic, but once we got the mud off it, the wheels still rolled pretty well. Never seen it before, no idea how long it's been there. RAD.

As for records, I got the Johnny Panic record (Will Work for Food) when I was in Nashville last time. I know it's from Nashville, so it's not really out of place, but I was still kinda gassed. Jangly pop-punk for days!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Really?

I haven't had a chance to play it for her yet, but I was thinking how much my S.O. would like this record.

Gar*th neglected to include the minor detail that he likes to wear
    his wife's wedding dress and dance around when listening to Cuban records.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

this selection makes me happy. morning dew OG! Billy Dee say what! Texaco speckled vinyl mystery jam! nice.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

b/w

• minty mcdonald and Giles found this morning for 5 bucks in a pile of elvis and monotovani records in the bin underneath the clearance records; in other words, its been sitting in that shop for years.

had not heard it before and my mind is presently being completely blown by it....

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    recent out of place find was pulled from boxes of crap stuffed back to back with mostly 80s common rock terds and then this italian raer turns up...hello!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    recent out of place find was pulled from boxes of crap stuffed back to back with mostly 80s common rock terds and then this italian raer turns up...hello!

interesting

• What is that Monk's Group?

Thanks,

Dress

• Definitely a 'Wife's Away, Time to Play,' record.

Really?

Gar*th neglected to include the minor detail that he likes to wear
    his wife's wedding dress and dance around when listening to Cuban records.

Dude, when I took that dress out of the box? NAGL...

Nah, but seriously, she's not down with the raspy/screaming vox. Other arsenio is fine, but the barking on that joint is a turn off.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    What is that Monk's Group?

Thanks,

Dress

waddup dressssssssssssso

actually it looks doper than it is, some real cool titles too, instrumental library style tracks... side A is the better one, wacky mid 70s (no date, im guessing 76 maybe) italo disco, a bit funky a bit cosmic at times with some guitar rock action (not my favorite parts)... does have one down tempo moogy funk cut which is pretty cool.

side B is totally different, unlistenable/ terrible rock tracks only..

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    havent gone out and come home with this many nice LPs in a while...this one spot, a CD/DVD chain store on the "vinyl revival" kick sells used LPs...I was literally picking these up as the clerk was pricing them and putting them in the bin...dude didnt care, puttin 2.99 on everything (except the Clyde McPhatter 8LP box set on Bear Family, which he put $20 on, but I know I can probably get 10x that for it)
    feel free to hollar about any of these

gladys is still sealed OG...the Soul Providers is on "Pure", whats up, is it pre-Desco?

the Supremes is a minty mono OG, nice Japanese Neville comp..has Hercules, Gossip, etc...

the Martha is a UK OG, worth loot...

the Emanuel Rahim is fire, minty still in the shrink...havent checke dout Julio Lopez yet, dont know what is up with it

Otis is a Mono OG, The EOU is reish of course, but $3, yes cop I will

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

If you see this one take it home with you

nah F*ck that LP, even though it's awesome compared to James Last standards, in the real world that means it still sucks balls...

Yes. That LP is terrible. Avoid.
    Don't know why on earth Bureau B gave that the reissue treatment.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    , The EOU is reish of course, but $3, yes cop I will

this is the type of ish, that is unexplainable. Who would already pawn that in?

• , The EOU is reish of course, but $3, yes cop I will

I believe Rasputin's in Berkeley purposely removes the shrink on new reissues to make them appear as og's -- they especially like to do it with the Actuel jawns.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    People here are acting French. How are these different from normal finds? Why this is surprising to some is beyond me. Part of the game, people.

Paid-for KUSF digs:

Not too many steals to be found, but still a decent day and cool to chop it up with the local folks. Kendricks is mint vinyl, tantra was $1, the Tito Puente was a great surprise, and Nightlife is amazing. Also sold three big boxes of hip hop twelves to some dude.

+ Two 45s:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    , The EOU is reish of course, but $3, yes cop I will

is someone seriously attempting to call me out for a fake provenance of a find?

there were used Sundazed Stooges Re-Ishes in those bins, new indie LPs, etc...always seems to be "new" used records at this spot...I dont question, I just buy...

update: Julio Lopez is a cruise ship terd, except for one track...a really nice, funky Som Tres type of thing.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

there were used Sundazed Stooges Re-Ishes in those bins, new indie LPs, etc...always seems to be "new" used records at this spot...I dont question, I just buy...

I was just thinking the other day about how sweet it will be when
    the "Vinyl Revival" passes and I can buy sealed Sundazed reissues
    from overstock bins for $4 each. I actually had this happen to a
    degree a few years ago at a local chain store that has vinyl. They
    were dumping old warehouse stock and I was getting sealed 80's Trojan
    LP's and local OG punk heat in quantity for like $3-$8 on the weekly,
    a bunch of Bear Family rockabilly sets too.

• 45s

Junior Mance - Thank You Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin (Atlantic)
    Mystic Moods - Midnight Snack (Soundbird)
    Lou Donaldson - Everything I Do Gohn Be Funky From Now On (Blue Note)
    Jay Jackson and the Heads of Our Time - Listen Here (Mr G)
    Etta James - Tighten Up Your Own Thing (Cadet)
    Johnny Otis Show - Country Girl (Kent)
    Syl Johnson - Is Ot Because I'm Black (Twinight)
    Freddie Scott and the Four Steps - Same Ole Beat (Marlin)
    Bobby Byrd - I Know You Got Soul (King)
    Eddie Kendricks - Girl You Need a Change of Mind (Tamla)
    James Brown - Make It Funky (Polydor)
    James Brown - Hot (polydor)
    Bar Kays - Give Everybody Some (Volt)
    Tony Fox - (I've Got To Do It) Do It To It (Calla)
    Johnny Pacheco - Soul Piper (Fania)
    George Wild Child Butler - Jelly Jam (Jewel)
    Bernie Hayes - Tribute To a Black Woman (Volt)
    Gene Taylor - The Hunch (Kent)
    Sonny Stitt - Heads or Tails (Enterprise)
    Eduardo Davidson - Con Sol Y Sal Bugalu (UA Latino)
    Grant Green - Cantaloupe Woman (Verve)
    Woody Herman - It's Your Thing (Cadet)
    Monk Higgins - Gotta Be Funky (UA)
    Dave Baby Cortez - Twan Taang (Sound Pak)
    Doc Bagby - Muscle Tough (Hunt)
    Gene Chandler - In My Body's House (Checker)
    Fatback - King Tim III (Personality Jock) (Spring)

Plus a shitload of albums I'm too tired to type up...