Out of place weekend finds

MeepMeep 320 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Was going through some crates at the local fleamarket which looked something like this:James LastJames LastPolka LPSchlager LPJames LastThe Heliocentric Worlds of Sun RaJames LastWTF? Every other record in about 5 crates was nothing but schlager and easy listening... Did some jazz dude go around and randomly insert shit in other people's crates? Was there a James Last / Sun ra crossover crowd I never heard about?Anyone else experienced something similar?

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    oh hells yes. the polka polka hiphop

for eral though, what james last records???

just kidding.
    sun ra, dope

ive never come across even a beat up sun ra record here in philly

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    From time to time I've found the occasional 1960's garage record mixed in with a rack full of old soul 45's...(I should mention obscure garage, at that, not some common hit)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    found an Overton Berry Trio for a buck yesterday at a thrift, in between 100 John Denver lp's of course.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Well, yeah, but I think the post isn't just about WHAT you found, but WHERE you found it

• This happens to me on a daily basis. It's basically why I hate the Bay Area for buying records --

Yesterday, at every place I went (8) I found ONE record mixed with a bunch of shit that didn't come close to matching.

Examples:

Rick Stanley - Song Of Life (still sealed and mixed in with a ton of Barbara Streisand and classical)
    "Poncho" Perez - Green & Yellow (1 f*cking Brazillian record mixed with a bunch Andy Williams / Mantovani type shit)

It never ends

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn. be thankful for what you get

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i once found a lou courtney i'm in need of love record amongst the usual goodwill clutter of barbara streissand and neal sedaka records.

what i want to know is why al hirts soul in the horn is never lumped in with all his other crappy lps.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    This happens to me on a daily basis. It's basically why I hate the Bay Area for buying records --

Yesterday, at every place I went (8) I found ONE record mixed with a bunch of shit that didn't come close to matching.

Examples:

Rick Stanley - Song Of Life (still sealed and mixed in with a ton of Barbara Streisand and classical)
    "Poncho" Perez - Green & Yellow (1 f*cking Brazillian record mixed with a bunch Andy Williams / Mantovani type shit)

It never ends

wait, isn't this why it's called "digging"?

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    i once found a lou courtney i'm in need of love record amongst the usual goodwill clutter of barbara streissand and neal sedaka records.

what i want to know is why al hirts soul in the horn is never lumped in with all his other crappy lps.

Dude! I swear this happened to me about a year ago! Babs complete discography then bam! Lou courtney in between! That's too funny... Sorry to say I found 2 Copys of soul in the horn while looking through al hirts a while back-my 3rd and 4th copys! That record likes me I guess.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    dont goodwills have central processing facility where they mix everything together then redistribute goods to stores?

which could be reason why you find the most random soul LP amongst easy listening fodder.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ran through some records yesterday that were mostly 80s rock and came up with an EW Wainwright LP. thats why i love digging in the bay area.

• dont goodwills have central processing facility where they mix everything together then redistribute goods to stores?

which could be reason why you find the most random soul LP amongst easy listening fodder.

You're absolutely correct.

But these things just don't happen at Goodwill. For example, last week I went to this tiny little local charity shop and mixed in with Chicago LP's is this Eric Dolphy French only 'Many Faces Of Jazz' record.

• ran through some records yesterday that were mostly 80s rock and came up with an EW Wainwright LP. thats why i love digging in the bay area.

Well, yeah -- I mean sometimes the pay off is ridiculous, but for the most part it's pretty

b/w

Not as rare as people think it is? Rick @ Grooveyard just had a copy, another on ebay and now you?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Damn Joostin, EW Wainwright?

BUY IT. STORE IT.

Rey, that Freddie Rodriguez is sick as hell. Nice pull purchase!

ran through some records yesterday that were mostly 80s rock and came up with an EW Wainwright LP. thats why i love digging in the bay area.

Well, yeah -- I mean sometimes the pay off is ridiculous, but for the most part it's pretty

b/w

Not as rare as people think it is? Rick @ Grooveyard just had a copy, another on ebay and now you?

its pretty rare. ive been diggin since 92 and this the second copy ive gotten. rick also has a store who specializes in jazz so im sure hed see a copy from time to time.

ive seen your finds i dont think youre not finding good stuff. yorue also in the east bay and have a lot of competition. maybe you just need to step your game up and knock jesse and charlie off their gold and silver platforms.

Damn Joostin, EW Wainwright?

BUY IT. STORE IT.

wall item tomorrow at kusf!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I just found an Arsenio Rodriguez 10" EP (plays @ 33.3) on Tico at my local Goodwill.

YES PLAESE

Also sealed cutout quantity on your girl Lena Zavaroni's Stax-released face-melter Ma! He's Making Eyes at Me! (hate me now).

I attempted to interest alleged master-digger aleit in the latter, but he has thus far ignored me to his own detriment.

I guess everybody can't be up on everything at all times.

• can i get a price czech on the joe panama lp?

• I found a Heath Bros Marching On in the middle of a box opera records

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Another one?

b/w what happened to the trade patna?

b/w

Daniel... Man up and hit me on the PMs if you want to deal some copies of the Lena.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    YES PLAESE
    Also sealed cutout quantity on your girl Lena Zavaroni's Stax-released face-melter Ma! He's Making Eyes at Me! (hate me now).

I attempted to interest alleged master-digger aleit in the latter, but he has thus far ignored me to his own detriment.

This is bordering on Mylatenteepee level enthusiasm. Check yo self big dude.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Was going through some crates at the local fleamarket which looked something like this:

James Last
    James Last
    Polka LP
    Schlager LP
    James Last
    The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra
    James Last

If you see this one take it home with you

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

can i get a price czech on the joe panama lp?

$40-$50

Daniel... Man up and hit me on the PMs if you want to deal some copies of the Lena.

Okay, all you little dudes can give your typing fingers a rest. Just stop it with the texts and PMs.

I'm going to boss up and deal this one myself.

And as far as tracking it--I don't even want to hear about any of you dudes sniffing around lenazavaronistrut. I have locked down all known copies.

Just relax and take notes on how the record game is played.

YES PLAESE

Fall back and recognize the momentousness

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    YES PLAESE

Fall back and recognize the momentousness

ORGAZMIC AND SLIGHTLY HOMO-EROTIC TO SAY THE LEAST.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Nice find Justin...if it's clean don't do less than four bills for it.

b/w

Holler at me if you want to make some money off that other LP...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I just found an Arsenio Rodriguez 10" EP (plays @ 33.3) on Tico at my local Goodwill.

YES PLAESE

HOT

YES PLAESE

HOT

Without a doubt.

Coincidentally, I've been listening to this one all week:

Highly recommended. Totally unique sound. Arsenio plays tres and has two saxophone players on it.