PHOTOSTRUT: Leica's and such

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Hi,I just got a new Leica D Lux 4 digi cam and I was wondering if anybody on Soulstrut has one. If so what type of stuff have you been shooting and do you have any special tricks or techniques that you'd be willing to share.I know getting photography insight on a "hip-hop / race relations / politics" messageboard is a long shot, but I thought I'd throw it out there.I'm headed to Alaska next week for some crazy type of stuff so I figured that is when this camera will get its official work out.Any insight is appreciated.

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Damn, that's a bomb-ass camera. Congrats!

• I have poor wo/man's Leica- the Panny DMC-LX2 (equivalent to the d-lux3). From everything I researched, the cameras were identical except for a few exterior cosmetic things (the Panasonic has the finger rest- which I appreciate!) Although the Leica is super sexy, I figured saving some $$ would be worth it.

Do you know what the main diff between the D-lux3 and 4 is?? I'm curious to know.

Anyway, before you go on your trip, play around with all the manual functions. If you're really into the short depth of field biz, you can only get so much w/the manual functions and focusing...not quite like a DSLR, but it can come in handy at times, and it's helpful to know how to do it ahead of time rather than figure it out when you're trying to capture a moment (I had many stupid moments trying clumsily how to figure out shit on the fly!)

Also, you might want to try to mess around with some of the settings like Baby 1, Baby 2 (!!!!!!!!!!), food, candle, etc...so that you know how they alter the exposure. I've used Baby plenty of times when babies were nowhere in sight...

Have fun and don't be one of those lazy-ass people who get Leicas just to show off that they have the $$$ to buy a Leica but end up taking the same photos you can get on a Canon Powershot!! I'm assuming you got it to take advantage of the many manual functions that the camera offers that many p&s cameras don't!

• PS: What kind of case did you get? Since that camera has a little lens bulge it can be a little trickier to carry around and whip out at times. I still need to get an ideal case that could fit around my belt loop or something for quick moments.

This case is sexy too, but $$$ just for the case.

• that is one sexy looking camera.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    www.dpreview.com is a very good site for all your digital foto camera needs

• If you're going to be in AK shooting action, I suggest operating mainly in shutter priority mode. As being able to crank up the shutter speed is important if you want to capture fast action.

May I also suggest that when shooting in snow, switch to spot metering mode rather than one of the evaluative metering modes if it supports it. Or bump the exposure compensation up a little. The whiteness of snow tends to leave your photos a little under exposed at times.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Senegal noted for its snow, Boris?

• haha, I did make quite a scene coming through the airport the other week with all of my ski gear after being in Canada.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't have any advice, but I'd love to know what you think of the Leica (when you've got used to it)

I considered getting one last year, but probably would have gone for the Panasonic, as chungtech said, they seem to be the same camera and you pay extra for the red dot.

-

What I really want is the a digi version of my old Nikon F SLR, without it being bulky, ugly, and having to feel like you need to learn a knew language to figure out how to program it.
    The Leica/Panasonics seem to be the closest thing to that. I might still get one when I have the ????.

• I just got the Panasonic Lumix G1, and it's pretty damn

Kinda small and portable, although not as compact as the leica, but the options and photo quality are kinda bonkers. Not cheap though...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Did you press the "take amazing photos" button?

Seriously, though. If there was such a thing, it would be always on. Pick up a Photo 101 book, or a "How to take better pictures with your digital" book, or do some innerweb searchin'. There's no trick to taking better photos other than to understand the basics of camera controls and especially lighting.

Things to search for on the internet:
    Depth of Field
    Open Shade
    Long Exposures
    ISO Settings
    Macro Photography

Read your manual to find out about Saturation Control, White Balance, and Manual Controls.

And..... sick camera!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Hi,

I just got a new Leica D Lux 4 digi cam and I was wondering if anybody on Soulstrut has one.

If so what type of stuff have you been shooting and do you have any special tricks or techniques that you'd be willing to share.

I know getting photography insight on a "hip-hop / race relations / politics" messageboard is a long shot, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm headed to Alaska next week for some crazy type of stuff so I figured that is when this camera will get its official work out.

Any insight is appreciated.

I have a D Lux 3 and think its totally overrated. The pictures are noisy or overly sharp. Paid 600 bones for the thing and just never felt it. I gave it to my wife and she loves it.

Me, I would rather shoot Canon 5D or iPhone with the Camera Bag app (if I want to be compact.)

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I was surprised at the lack of zoom on that thing. It's all pretty wide if I remember correctly.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I have a D Lux 3 and think its totally overrated. The pictures are noisy or overly sharp. Paid 600 bones for the thing and just never felt it. I gave it to my wife and she loves it.

Me, I would rather shoot Canon 5D or iPhone with the Camera Bag app (if I want to be compact.)

You sound rich. (or in debt)

Could the "noisy or overly sharp" problem not be compensated for by adjusting the settings, or format? If there's one thing you'd expect Leica to get right it would be that.

The 5D costs 5 times as much as the d-lux, so it should take better quality pictures. But thats a large sum of $$ to spend on something that most people are just going to use to take holiday pictures and photos of their kids.

• PS: What kind of case did you get? Since that camera has a little lens bulge it can be a little trickier to carry around and whip out at times. I still need to get an ideal case that could fit around my belt loop or something for quick moments.

This case is sexy too, but $$$ just for the case.

I have one of these and I actually found it on Craiglist. Reduced quite a bit, with sexy case. Almost left it in Brooks Brothers while trying on a blazer, they were having a big sale, I put it down and nearly left it there and had a heart attack.
    Camera is great.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    CBear - What camera do you use?

I liked the look of your pictures in the cat-strut thread from the other day, and meant to ask..

You sound rich. (or in debt)

Could the "noisy or overly sharp" problem not be compensated for by adjusting the settings, or format? If there's one thing you'd expect Leica to get right it would be that.

The 5D costs 5 times as much as the d-lux, so it should take better quality pictures. But thats a large sum of $$ to spend on something that most people are just going to use to take holiday pictures and photos of their kids.

I like to think of myself as an amateur enthusiast when it comes to photography... so I didn't just throw Benjamins at expensive cameras and wish for the best. The 5D and Leica's were heavily researched.

My pitfall is that I have always HATED point and shoot compact digital cameras. So when I got the thing it was a bit foreign to me.

No diss to the Leica. I still technically "own" it. I just wasn't all "that" impressed for the price tag. I wanted a DSLR quality point and shoot and thought the Leica was the answer. While technically it is pretty damn nice, I find myself reaching for the 5D for the Kodak moments.

The Leica has insane noise when cranked above 100 iso. I'm told because it's cramming 10 megapixelz on to a tiny chip.

When I need a quick pic of the kid in a toy store, I reach for my iphone which has some killer apps these days for making crappy cel phone pics look good.

Here's my photo stream BTW:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rajsoulstrut/

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    raj are you still in tucson?

raj are you still in tucson?

Unfortunately, no.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    my

• When I need a quick pic of the kid in a toy store, I reach for my iphone which has some killer apps these days for making crappy cel phone pics look good.

Even tho I don't have an iphone, I think they take great pixx straight off the camera even w/out apps. They seem to have kind of a slow shutter speed image quality (soft blurs) but w/good color saturation?!?! Maybe I'm just lusty too since I don't have one.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

I know getting photography insight on a "hip-hop / race relations / politics" messageboard is a long shot, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

A Leica discussion is exactly the thing I'd expect on this board...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm always suprised by how good iphone pics look too, especially compared to my phones.

• my

Ohhh yeah! I miss my Holga, I hacked the lens off to try and mount it to my SLR, but i just couldn't quite get it right. I'm tempted to have another go ones of these days.

I took these in October on my Nokia 6500 Slider (3.2MP Zeiss Lens):

I think the iphone is still on 2MP (?) which has put me off so far. I got the ipod touch anyway...

• If you're going to be in AK shooting action, I suggest operating mainly in shutter priority mode. As being able to crank up the shutter speed is important if you want to capture fast action.

May I also suggest that when shooting in snow, switch to spot metering mode rather than one of the evaluative metering modes if it supports it. Or bump the exposure compensation up a little. The whiteness of snow tends to leave your photos a little under exposed at times.

This is good advice

Have a great time in Alaska! Here's a little inspiration from a ski touring trip I did in the Northern Selkirks two years ago... ski up ski down, lot's of time to take pics, not as much vert as heli but 1/10th the cost.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If I had money to burn, I've dreamed of copping a Leica M8 but frankly, I have a hard time imaging it'd be worth the cost, no matter what.

I've been saving money (up to $700 so far!) to upgrade my Nikon D70 to the new(er) D90. I'm just debating whether to invest in a high quality 20mm lens; I definitely need a wide angle to complement my 50mm and 85mm lenses but considering how expensive the body alone will cost for the D90, I'm debating if I should buy a cheaper wide angle or the stock zoom (which I suspect I'll hate b/c of its slowness).

Beautiful pics, Loop. Well done.