PHOTOSTRUT: Leica's and such

2»

Comments

• If I had money to burn, I've dreamed of copping a Leica M8 but frankly, I have a hard time imaging it'd be worth the cost, no matter what.

I've been saving money (up to $700 so far!) to upgrade my Nikon D70 to the new(er) D90. I'm just debating whether to invest in a high quality 20mm lens; I definitely need a wide angle to complement my 50mm and 85mm lenses but considering how expensive the body alone will cost for the D90, I'm debating if I should buy a cheaper wide angle or the stock zoom (which I suspect I'll hate b/c of its slowness).

Oliver, I'd take that money and put it towards a good wide angle instead and maybe cop a second hand D80.... all the heads are dropping them right now trying to get the latest and greatest. I recently got a 18mm- 50mm, F2.8, Sigma lense that is insane.It takes great interior shots in low light conditions all the time... I never put on my old 28-200, F3.5, anymore, though I'm sure I'll go back to it.
    From what I understand the D90 opens up the low light shooting end of things alot, if that's what your into, grab it. As for 12 MPixels over 10, I just don't think it matters unless your making posters.

Thanks Jimster for the props, that was a special trip for me.

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts
    I agree with Loop. Invest in good glass, it'll stay with you longer.

As for the D90, there is the HD video capabilities which is not on the D80 if that is what you are after.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    That was either a Nikon 8700 or a Nikon D300. Those are the two digital Cameras I currently own. Macro button and aperture priority at wide open (lowest possible number). I have too many shots of my cat.

---- Nerd.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    thanks.

-

I have another photography related question for everyone.

When it comes to digital SLRs Nikon or Canon?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    and on a complete tangent..

If I had the time and money I'd love to have a go at some portrait photography using one of these.

Daguerreotype

The images they produce are something else.

They don't really come across too well on a computer screen. the image goes straight on to a mirrored plate and they just seem to jump off the 'page', making them look almost three dimensionally life like.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I agree with Loop. Invest in good glass, it'll stay with you longer.

As for the D90, there is the HD video capabilities which is not on the D80 if that is what you are after.

Exactly. If not for that, I'd just keep my D70; it's served me really well over the years but the idea of having a DSLR with HD video? Yeah, I'm down to try that.

As for the question about Nikon vs. Canon - both get fairly high marks for their consumer and pro-sumer models. It comes down to personal preference. For me - I already had a Nikon film SLR with AF lenses so I stuck with Nikon when I went DSLR but I have friends with Canons who are super happy with the quality of their cameras too.

At the high end of the DSLR market, I think Nikon rules that stoop but those are for professional photographers are probably would be overkill for most users.

• Canon vs. Nikon SLRs.

I really think it is much of a muchness. I've got a canon because I could still use my EF lenses from my film SLR. Which ever you go with I don't think you'll go too far wrong. Really just a matter of how you like the feel of it and the feel of the menus and the like.

That said, I've had the chance to shoot with a Canon EOS 5DII over the last couple of weeks, with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 and the beautiful 70-100 f/2.8L and it is seriously the most incredible camera I have ever used. Problem being that I doubt I could ever justify buying one for myself..

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Here's my photo stream BTW:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rajsoulstrut/

I'm a fan. Are a lot of those desaturated a little in photoshop or is that a setting on the camera?