Skate 2

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone else pick up Skate 2 for xbox/ps3??The first Skate was basically the reason I decided to get an Xbox so I had to pick up the new one...If you've ever skated at all and haven't played this series of games, then I suggest you check it out. Total nostalgia + geeking out over realistic tricks/lines.The replay/filming part of the game is also sorta out of control:

This has pretty much eaten up my whole weekend.

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i like skate but it's so tough! Manuals kill me.

Oh yea and I was getting heckled when I was playing on line.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    That Mayer Hawthorne track kills me.

• There's too many kids raised on Tony Hawk style megapointcombo bullshit playing online. 360 hardflip to nose manual to 180 varial heelflip mute grab to manual to revert to nose manual to... ugh...

I just like finding new spots to skate and trying to do lines that are possible in real life. The whole filming side of things gets me back playing around with editing/post production stuff, which is pretty fun too. I seriously think I'm going to end up capturing footage into my computer rather than use the EA skate.reel site to get clips...

• I've wanted to play this really bad, but I can't shell out the money for an xbox just for this. I'm not much of a gamer and paying $30-50 for games isn't exactly "logical" to me these days. It looks cool though.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'm playing the Nintendo DS version of the first one which is pretty damn good. Super playable. Definately want to try this one.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I spent too many hours w/ Tony Hawk's Underground joint.

Crazy Fun.

Once I cop the PS3 this might be a COP.

• I haven't had a console since the ps1. This game is making me consider buying a new one. I'm thinking ps3 for the blu-ray factor. Hopefully this game is on that platform. Seems like it would be suicide not to carry it.

• Hey Taza it's out on ps3!

There seem to be a few more bugs with the online play, but otherwise it's exactly the same game on both xbox and ps3. The wii version is a bit different, but I haven't played it.

You should find someone who has it and try it.

• Newest system I got is a PS2 but I've been lucky enough to have roommates that got an Xbox 360. The first Skate was ridiculous and I can't wait to play this one and see what they updated. Normally I gotta watch some skating before I head out and this game and The Final Flare (real head's know the deal) have fit the bill lately. Good looks on editing your 'Skate' footage but where's the SoulStrut skate thread? Where you at Taza?....

• Skate 2 is dope. I've been playin' this most the weekend also. The commentary cracks me up.

• The first Skate was basically the reason I decided to get an Xbox

I just bought my Xbox a few weeks ago after noticing the system was down to $200 and Skate was selling at $30. I'm not much of a "gamer" but this game was too much to resist. It's the one video game I've been wanting since I was a little kid playing Skate or Die and 720. The Tony Hawk series was fun, but Skate makes you realize how ridiculous those games were.

As a skateboarder, the game is especially ridiculous. Traditional video gamers might find it boring, but I get so geeked at the trick control. I can "skate" the same spot for a while without getting bored. The learning curve is so similar to actual skateboarding ... and it's the one video game I own that actually makes me want to go outside and ride my skateboard.

I'm sure I'll get Skate 2 eventually. Though I'm still pretty satisfied with the first one (even after beating it a couple of times) and I'm not quite to the point of wanting to drop $60 for a video game yet.

• Question: are transitions (pools, ramps) easier to use on the new game? That's the one part of the first game that I wish they dealt with better.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I love Skate 2, the city while not much different than the first seems so much better.

Love the controls, I play online and I don't see how people can do all these Tony Hawk-esque tricks with these controls.

• Question: are transitions (pools, ramps) easier to use on the new game? That's the one part of the first game that I wish they dealt with better.

Yeah, I would say the tranny spots are easier to use. The controls are basically
    the same, but there is a sort of "cheat" for pumping transition wich does make
    it easier.

As a 20+ year skater who still hits the 13ft bowl at the park most weekends,
    I can say that this game is freakin incredible. The physical realism and real
    difficulty of play is pretty facemelting.

And yeah, skate2 isn't some big leap from the OG. A few more trick variations,
    the city is somewhat revamped.

HOWEVER: The camera seems to be further back and elevated a bit. My big complaint on OGSkate was the camera angle and how hard it was to see more
    than a foot ahead of the skater. If this bothered you at all,
    Skate 2 fixes it pretty nicely. You can even choose a low or high angle now.

Yes, I am geeking out and playing this all the time.

It's raining and cold outside, so I'm not a poser.

• Oh, and whats up with the soundtrack being almost
    half SoulStrut Aprroved type musiks?
    I mean, they have Tickled Pink on there.
    Are the kidz that this is marketed to really into this?
    That would be cool.

• the jams from the posted video aren't actually in the game are they?

• Didn't watch the posted video.
    Talmbout the game itself.
    LL
    Percee=P
    PE
    Wu-Tang
    Sly Stone
    Sam and Dave?

It's like a '90s vibe but with at-the-time-of-wu-tang
    unknown funk 45s too!

Yeah, I would say the tranny spots are easier to use. The controls are basically
    the same, but there is a sort of "cheat" for pumping transition wich does make
    it easier.

That's good. I will say that the scale of the ramps/ditches/pools is impressive. A 12-13 ft ramp actually feels as big as it should (unlike in the Tony Hawk series). And the height you get is obviously much more realistic than the 40-50 foot airs you'd get in TH games.

And you can get the hang of pumping after a while. I like the Burnside-esque parks in the first game (the DIY park and the one behind the Plan B warehouse). You definitely have to work at it to get the hang of the various lines but eventually it pays off.

Overall it's an absurdly addictive series. I should grab Skate 2 before the weather starts getting warm. I don't want my addiction to a video game to keep me away from real skateboarding.

• the jams from the posted video aren't actually in the game are they?

No I just threw those over the clips. The first song is a beat by me, and the second song is Mayer Hawthorn - Just Ain't Gonna Work Out.

The video was done just as a trial to see how the quality would turn out using my replay clips downloaded from the Skate website. I think I might actually start capturing footage into my computer straight from the xbox so I can get better quality. I seriously want to make the skate video part that I never could have when I was younger.

Yes. I sound old. Ha.

I'll cosign on the transition skating being better in Skate 2 - it's still frustrating, however. I like it though, it makes me feel like you really have to work for your vert tricks. Quite unlike Tony Hawk.

My roomate is watching Sunday's episode of The Office on the main tv right now and I basically want to fight him so I can play some more Skate. I am officially addicted. I just skate around looking for good lines/tricks to make replay clips...

• Just got the ps3 and skate 2. The Mega Ramp park is bananas. I'm so addicted. Glad it's raining.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Oh, and whats up with the soundtrack being almost
    That would be cool.
    Anyone catch that they have Selda, on the commercial? I think it's "Ince Ince." I haven't peeped the soundtrack, maybe it's on it?

That would be cool.
    Anyone catch that they have Selda, on the commercial? I think it's "Ince Ince." I haven't peeped the soundtrack, maybe it's on it?

Its the Oh No flip from the Oxperiment lp or whatever its called.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    ah, that makes sense.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    That would be cool.

Not much of a flip , he literally loops the track and doesn't even add drums to it. I thought it was a loop/edit done just for the commercial.

That being said, I was pretty hyped up when I heard that shit on the spot!

That would be cool.

Not much of a flip , he literally loops the track and doesn't even add drums to it. I thought it was a loop/edit done just for the commercial.

That being said, I was pretty hyped up when I heard that shit on the spot!

truth

• I've got a new montage video if anyone's interested in watching...

Watch It Here
    JAKE ONE ON THE SOUNDTRACK!!