and don't be late
    meet me at eight
    right by the gate

• bassie!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    greetings

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

New Race "The First and The Last"

There is a passage in Vivien Johnson's book on Radio Birdman where Ron and Dennis Thompson are returning from these shows, just gassed on the possibilties inherent in their new supergroup, little understanding at that point that the Birdman guys were already moving on to new careers. I think Ron took it pretty hard, but I know he and Deniz remained friends. Ron had tried to get Deniz to stay in Ann Arbor in like 1977 when he was visiting family on a break from school in Australia, but Deniz just brushed it off as Birdman had just recorded their first LP and he couldn't imagine being in a different band.

That New Race LP is top notch IMO. Closes the circle on the 70s Aussie/Motor City connection in a spectacular manner.

Damn, I didn't know that. I can see that bumming him out hard though. It's been a while since I've read Please Kill Me, but I remember feeling sad for Ron in some parts.

Is that book on Radio Birdman any good?

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Life on Earth

Is this worth picking it up?

I'm a big Dungen fan..

Today:
    Shades of Joy - Music of El Topo
    Misel Quitno - Sleep Over Pieces Vol. 1
    Donny Hathaway - Live

• Main Ingredient - Euphrates River
    The Police - Outlandos d'Amour

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I listen to most records start to end.

so, if there's a token song on there you dont like, or arent in the mood to hear, you just deal with it? 'cause i sure dont

when i got my first CD player, i made sure that it was programmable, just to avoid the bummer cuts

Well, when you limit yourself by not spending more than $8 on an lp, you're gonna be left with alot of mediocre records that you need to skip dud tracks on.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

so, if there's a token song on there you dont like, or arent in the mood to hear, you just deal with it? 'cause i sure dont

when i got my first CD player, i made sure that it was programmable, just to avoid the bummer cuts

Well, when you limit yourself by not spending more than $8 on an lp, you're gonna be left with alot of mediocre records that you need to skip dud tracks on.

yea, there isn't any expensive one track albums.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

ABN - It Is What It Is

Aw, you got ahold of a copy. What do ya think?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Bronx River Parkway - San Sebastian 152

Also just listened to Melvyn Price "Rhythm & Blues" Lp from beginning to end.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

naw, ive done alright in that price range...the city i live in has been pretty good to me as far as used albums go, its just all about right place/right time. out of the five albums i mentioned earlier in this thread, i only paid more than $8 for one of them.

I beg to differ...that Power of Zeus elpee ain't exactly a one-tracker, but it would make a kickass EP...thank God I didn't spend $50 to find out

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Jay-Z- American Gangster (spoke too early on it in previous threads...it's really grown on me these past couple months)

Archie Shepp- Fire Music

I beg to differ...that Power of Zeus elpee ain't exactly a one-tracker, but it would make a kickass EP...thank God I didn't spend $50 to find out

yea, i was being sarcastic. Kind of tough to pick up in the written form. Somebody tried to sell me that power of zeus reissue trying to claim it was the og. I hate when that happens.

yea, i was being sarcastic. Kind of tough to pick up in the written form.

thats kool. i thought it was amusing anyways...

• low end theory

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Life on Earth

I'm a big Dungen fan..

I like it, it's definitely more mellow than Dungen, more on the folk/psych tip, but I enjoy it. The singing is in english, if that matters. I do prefer Dungen over LoE though.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Life on Earth

I'm a big Dungen fan..

I like it, it's definitely more mellow than Dungen, more on the folk/psych tip, but I enjoy it. The singing is in english, if that matters. I do prefer Dungen over LoE though.

Great listen I would be surprised if you didn't like it.

ABN - It Is What It Is

Aw, you got ahold of a copy. What do ya think?

Like it a lot...generally don't like a whole CD of double-time so the second half is a nice progression. Rain and In My City are my favourite tracks, but Umm Umm, 3-16's and Still Gets No Love are up there, too. Actually everything from SOS and on I have no complaints about at all.

• It's a jazz day so far its been

Guido Manusardi - Free Jazz (twice) - the waltz valeriana is the track tho
    Masahika Satoh - As If
    Toshika Akiyoshi Quartet - Sumiue - Guy in japan told me this is monday michiru mum?
    Horace Silver - Sing For my father - never tires

and steely dan - katy lied

the stooges - funhouse (again)
    dungen - 4 (damn these guys are no joke!)
    black sabbath - sabotage
    dave alexander - the rattler (arhoolie)

• This:

While reading this:

And drinking this:

A FINE Wednesday evening.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    the last five records i've listened to end to end:

ov wright- memphis unlimited
    brother to brother- in the bottle
    ann pebbels- straight from the heart
    wu tang clan- enter the 36 chambers
    the upsetters- super ape

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I know a couple of these dudes. They do some good stuff, but I wasn't quite feeling the frail falsetto male vocals and the constant "80s pads with hall reverb" smeer on this one. Liv Lykke is great though.

I like their first release better:

I'm working on a paper from home these days, so I'm doing a lot of end-to-end listening.

A few from today:

Sun Ra "Angels And Demons At Play"
    Larry Young "Lawrence Of Newark"
    Mandingo "The Primeval Rhythm Of Life"
    Talking Heads "Fear Of Music"
    Gang Of Four "Solid Gold"
    The Time "What Time Is It?"
    Jorge Lopez Ruiz "Viejas Raices"
    Sam Dees "The Show Must Go On"
    Wood, Steel & Brass S/T

Mandingo "The Primeval Rhythm Of Life"