"You Know It's Hard Out There For a Pimp..."

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I mean seriously how do you fuck up a remake action pic like Shaft? that takes some real anti-talent..

You really didn't like it? it was highly entertaining top me,especially the performances by Jeffrey Wright and Christian Bale,they played those roles up to the hilt.I also liked Baby Boy, please dont attack me one this one

diff'rent strokes...

trust me I thought the cast was amazing, however they just didn't play up to their potential, and you gotta blame the director for that.

Christian Bale is one of the best villians in Hollywood, and Jeffrey is one of the best actors in hollywood and they just didn't do it for me.

And Samuel L Jackson had the chance to play the suave Billy Dee Williams/ Richard Roundtree personality and let me down considerably.

As for Baby Boy....well I'll just leave that alone

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I mean seriously how do you fuck up a remake action pic like Shaft? that takes some real anti-talent..

You really didn't like it? it was highly entertaining top me,especially the performances by Jeffrey Wright and Christian Bale,they played those roles up to the hilt.I also liked Baby Boy, please dont attack me one this one

C'mon man, Shaft was weak--Jeffrey Wright was the only good thing about it.

I liked Baby Boy, though--it's actually the only Singleton movie I've been into since Boyz N Tha Hood.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I think Singleton is mad overrated, even Boys In The Hood. That movie really didn't age well... shit is super corny and the individual performances are the only thing that hold it up IMO.

Also, I have a really hard time with the glorification of being a "pimp" so, while I know the movie isn't fully about that (I would hope not) I don't think I'm going to go see it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

C'mon man, Shaft was weak--Jeffrey Wright was the only good thing about it.

I liked Baby Boy, though--it's actually the only Singleton movie I've been into since Boyz N Tha Hood.

The preceding post was actually made by me--didn't realize somebody else was logged in on my notebook.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Wait so.... Singleton portrays one Jew negatively in one movie... he becomes a racist asshole... Jewish producers portray Black people as ignorant, violent, misogynist, the list goes on... in almost everything coming out of Hollywood... and???

let's not forget the music and television industry.

but yo, that movie looked fuckin TRASH! Was that supposed to be "Rudy" meets "I got the hook up"? the fuck outta here with that.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

Also, I have a really hard time with the glorification of being a "pimp" so, while I know the movie isn't fully about that (I would hope not) I don't think I'm going to go see it.

I am suspect because of that. The Hughes brothers made a documentary a few years ago about pimps. It was one of the most dishonest and hateful films of recent memories. The glorification of pimps and black market American prostitution is a true stain on a lot of hip hop. It's moral and political incoherance to bemoan the exploitation of a race or the urban poor on the one hand, and then valorize the virtual enslavement of whores on the other.

As for the alleged anti-Jewishness in Singleton's "Higher Learning," Guzzo I didn't see it. And I am on high alert for that kind of thing. I mean if Singleton had portrayed Jewish characters as Shylocks or questioned the loyalty of Jewish Americans, alleging nefarious plotting, or restated some canards about our people such as the blood libel or heartless lender, that would be cause for alarm. But I don't really think he did that. I hope he shows the lack of humanity in his pimp character in this movie.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow you guys are really taking my one observation and personal feelings towards Singletons directing waaaaay too seriously. It's just one scene that bothered me and I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way. I am not trying to make a portrayal of blacks v. jews point either. I just don't like John Singleton and think of him as a hack that happened to make his first film when Spike Lee was leading the charge for young black directors. So many of the others from that time fell the fuck off (Matty Rich anyone?). Yet someone who has made flop after flop like Singleton seems to continue on.

Long story short Singleton did nothing really for this film except add his name to the credits and possibly give the film some extra noteriaty. I'ma still see it and probably complain along with D*niel And T*nya about how much of a letdown it was.

now everybody pay attention to me in the weekend finds thread.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    now everybody pay attention to me in the weekend finds thread. Weekend artifact excavation post

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Guzzo, you did call him a "racist asshole".

• pasepase 89 Posts
    I think Singleton is mad overrated, even Boys In The Hood. That movie really didn't age well... shit is super corny and the individual performances are the only thing that hold it up IMO.

yo didn't you just throw a "Hustle and Flow" party? haha.

and Singleton is kinda wack. Boyz in the hood was just perfect timing. Cuba Gooding is mad corny and Morris Chestnut can't act. it was all Ice Cube and Fishburne...

as for this joint, It looks bad. and mad sterotypical. I don't like this Terrence Howard dude, and the thought and sight of him rapping released any amount of credibility this film might have had. IMO

incidentally, Singleton bought this movie for $3million and sold it to Paramount for $12 mil. that's what I'm talking about!

• pasepase 89 Posts
    actually I can't say Singleton is wack, I enjoyed Shaft... and Poetic Justice.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I may be wrong Guzzo, but I think that you're also saying that Singleton lacks a great deal of sophistication when he addresses race relations. I submit to y'all that the shit Singleton makes severely stereotypes ALL groups, not just Jews.

I agree Singleton may have ridden on the coat-tails of Spike, but to tell you the truth, Spike's joints haven't become all that much more sophisticated either.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I may be wrong Guzzo, but I think that you're also saying that Singleton lacks a great deal of sophistication when he addresses race relations. I submit to y'all that the shit Singleton makes severely stereotypes ALL groups, not just Jews.

I agree Singleton may have ridden on the coat-tails of Spike, but to tell you the truth, Spike's joints haven't become all that much more sophisticated either.

yeah thats exactly what I am trying to say, you just worded it in a non-asshole way

I'd have said it like that but then it wouldn't have as fun.

As far as your comment about Spike not getting more sophisticated I disagree.

Take Spikes first 2 feature lengths "She;s Gotta Have It" & "School Daze" and compare them to his films after. Spie stretched his subject matter, used techniques to get wonderful performances, and came to give himself quite the signature style that has made him quite the known arteur. You can't possibly say that movies like Malcolm X, The 25th Hour, or Get On The Bus are as rudimentary as his first couple of pictures.

However, John Singleton has not shown any real growth in his directing, his actors are usually flat his sequences have never impoved beyond Ricky running away from the drive by car while Tre' screams out his name is super slow motion. Baby Boy looked like it was made by a newcomer as did Shaft. The only difference between those 2 and Boyz in the Hood is he had more money to play with.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

now everybody pay attention to me

Adam, if you don't want people to "take things so seriously" don't say serious things.

P.S. Singleton is whatever to me (Fast and Furious anyone?).

There's alot of directors out there that are better. I want to check out 4 Brothers though.

And I can't believe you guys want to see that Roll Bounce ish.

Nick Cannon and Lil' Bow Wow battle it out on rollerskates!

uh...

One of the best things about Hustle & Flow was that it didn't glamorize pimp-dom the way American Pimp or Pimps Up, Hoes Down did. I think it was a fairly honest representation of a small-time pimp/drug dealer (he had three "hoes" and only one actively turned tricks--one was pregnant and the other was a stripper). The pimp-turned-rapper thing was probably the most preposterous aspect of the film.

One of my black friends thought the movie was demeaning and the portrayals were stereotypical, but coming from the South, I felt like I "knew" these people. Despite my friend's bourgeoise objections, there are certainly people in this country, black and white, whose experience was accurately depicted in this film.

I want to check out 4 Brothers though.

I actually think that movie looks a little ridiculous...

uh...

The roller skating is secondary to the coming-of-age theme: "I'm raising men, not boys!" But I also liked You Got Served, remember?

P.S. It's just Bow Wow; he's grown and tattooed up now.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    But I also liked You Got Served, remember?

Haha, yeah, that crossed my mind while I was typing that, but Fauxrockski yearning to see a shirtless, gyrating Nick Cannon?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Ha!

I can't believe you don't want to see that sh!t.

Nick Cannon and Li'l Bow Wow battle it out on rollerskates!

This is the rollerboogiesploitation flick I have been waiting my whole life for.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Ha!

I can't believe you don't want to see that sh!t.

Nick Cannon and Li'l Bow Wow battle it out on rollerskates!

This is the rollerboogiesploitation flick I have been waiting my whole life for.

I'm curious to see how this will affect the disco/boogie record game. 10$ says that on the soundtrack, somebody will remake "Bounce Rock Skate" into a modern hip-hop version, perhaps Will Smith? And will Crazypoprock camp out to catch this flick?

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts
    thanks, coselmed, for mentioning the New York Times review

haven't seen it. looks corny and i've had enough of the promotion already (Terrence Howard as guest host on The View?? awkward). but the man is fine and i don't mind seeing that mug e'ry-damn-where.

but.... (and i was just tiffing with another dj about this) related to the notes about glorifying the pimp (or at least making him a hero.. even a tragic hero), i'm so over that shit. this month's VIBE is out of control. a few examples: in a feature called "Is That Yo' Chick?", two ex-pimps, Tariq Nasheed and Norm Pretty, compete to see who can "game more girls." also, the issue includes a major feature on Terrence Howard and his role in H&F. within the article is a series of blurbs on Ice-T, Iceberg Slim, Pimpin' Ken (Pimps Up, Ho's Down [sic]), Suga Free, and Todd G (who's debut album which includes tracks about the art of recruiting prostitutes is being rereleased with cameos from San Quinn and E40). not a word in the entire magazine about the other side of the game. ironic considering VIBE has, in the past, contributed at least semi-provocative pieces about violence against women.

when one of the most heavily promoted and highly acclaimed films about hip hop deals primarily with the life of a pimp, there's hardly a word in the mainstream about the devaluation of women?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    People.....People........People..........C'mon

All these recent "black" films are st8 trash. We can do better than this.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    4 Brothers...........

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hey, that's not the movie I want to see...

But yeah, after watching the trailer right now it does look pretty like some shit to see on cable.
    I don't expect too much from movies like that so I'm usually not dissapointed when they suck. It's mindless "guy" entertainment so I take it for what it's worth.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    10$ says that on the soundtrack, somebody will remake "Bounce Rock Skate" into a modern hip-hop version, perhaps Will Smith?

good call.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I saw the trailer, and its like these dudes, their white mom is killed, but like, some of the brothers are brothers and I'm like... hey... wait a second.... huh? plus, the movie just looks kinda stupid to me.

i got dragged to see charlie and the chocolate factory which I thought was going to be about Viet Cong Butt Sex, but thank goodness was I wrong.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this is just a speculation but, C*** from memphix was DJing the Hustle and Flow premier after party, Juicy J comes up on the stage to tell C*** he has some really ill records, C*** turns around to do something, then "poof" Juicy J AND C***'s box of Memphis raers is gone!!!! That fuckin sucks, just as I am sure the movie does...fuck Memphis Hip Hop. Also, about John Singleton...this dude Scott Bomar, a friend of shingaling's composed the score(with stalwarts like Skip Pitts, Willie Hall)..When John Singleton met with Bomar about doing the score, Scott said he was a racist asshole, said stuff like "shit, no white boy can write music for a black film of mine", treated him like shit until he heard the product, and then John proceeded to quickly sign Bomar up to do the music for his next film.

music is the best.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Hustle & Flow :

overall =

the acting saved this film from being awful....excellent performances by the cast

the whole concept of the film never sat well enough with me to be able to give the film a real chance...all of a sudden the pimp wants to rap????

the best thing about the film was that we finally get to see the pimp without the fur coat....the "po" pimp ...the pimp that pimps enough to get by....the hollywood image of pimps took a sharp left turn with this film and it was "a good look".....

wack ending

basically it would have been an excellent HBO/SHOWTIME movie ...but it sucked on the big screen

and last but not least.......
    "whoop that trick!!!!"
    "whoop that trick!!!!"
    "whoop that trick!!!!"
    "whoop that trick!!!!"
    "whoop that trick!!!!!"

that shit had me bouncin' for real

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    ok i just saw the whole flix...two times coz of that strong accent (euro people won't understand shit to this movie once translated, bet that, as usual...).

The script is horrible. The performance are surprising. Some actors really did some good job, including my man Ant. Now for the girls, i would say the Pregnant Girl sticks out. But yo, or should i say AYO, this is not the reflection of a good movie, "black movie" as they call it.
    What the fuck is wrong, this is regression. Image quality is like so 88. The angles, iw on't talk about it. I mean, Spike, where you at. Real movie makers, where y'all at?? How's that Singleton can "father" a movie like that. His first flick was better. This shit can't compete with high-rank movie...War Of The World or H&F. I don't ask myself that kind of question at the booth. I wait to get the DVD. But still...that's not a good movie compared the global movie market. Now compared to 8 Miles, it's like The Goodfellas. I guess it depends what you expect from such flix.

Ps : these jewish/black thing is so played out. People gotta stop that shit quick coz ANY white faces that talks about Blacks being racist looks like assholes. It's called reverse psychology and it don't works. And let it be known that Jews are not a race, as opposed to Black. The hate born and bred from Religion is different than the one raised in the Race factor. It is RIDICULOUS to oppose the Black genocide and the Jewish genocide. Even in terms of numbers, it is ridiculous. Now on a record board, a soul-groove-whatever oriented board, i expect people to give a lil respect for the Black side. Not to be full of shit and paternalistic, but yo, the Drums. The Beat. You have to respect that. Don't make me post my "it began in Africa" thread.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    all i gotta say is American Pimp is hard as fuck. that movie is my shit. i didnt think it glorified pimps either.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I saw Hustle & Flow and found it entertaining. I'm not going to go out there and tell anybody to see it with a lot of enthusiasm, but it was okay. Some parts I could do without are the guy crying in the church during the Gospel singer, but when they were making music I was all into it. Just my 2 cents.