"You Know It's Hard Out There For a Pimp..."

coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I was kind of looking forward to this movie, but it was just ...Some good
performances, though.

P.S. I really wish they hadn't let Terrence Howard do his own rapping. I mean, it wasn't awful, but it would have been cool if they put an up-and-coming Memphis rapper on (like Lil' Whyte ).

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Drag, seems like it had "potential." How was Road Trip awkward boy?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    How was Road Trip awkward boy?

So necessary.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    the trailer looks dumb...but i'll go see it regardless

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

cosign, but I still wanna see it...despite the fact that the king of turning films to shit and superior racist asshole John Singleton stuck his name on it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Who is that in your avatar, ed? And where can I see more?

Nicole Narain...and apparently you'll be able to see more of her soon. shes trying to release a sex tape featuring her and Colin Farrell...not feeling that at all!!!!!!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Nicole Narain...and apparently you'll be able to see more of her soon. shes trying to release a sex tape featuring her and Colin Farrell...not feeling that at all!!!!!!

Just tape a piece of paper over that part of the screen and it's all good.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    washington post gave it a gggrrreeeeaat review.
    i was a bit surprised by how much praise they sang about it,
    like it was the bestest movie with the finest acting and brilliant script
    & such a great plot
    shocking that the review was wrong
    now where's that paperboy
    i gotta read before the flea

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    John Singleton stuck his name on it.

whats up with that ?
    the wash-post review gushed on & on about the guy who wrote &/or directed it
    never once was singleton's name mentioned
    but
    on the tv ads...............all you here is singleton

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I was kind of looking forward to this movie, but it was just ...Some good
    performances, though.

i'm trying to see it if only for the skinny white dude who bangs out the beats.

so true, so funny.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

cosign, but I still wanna see it...despite the fact that the king of turning films to shit and superior racist asshole John Singleton stuck his name on it.

racist ashole?

Yes, I never forgave him for his portrayal of Jewish people in "Higher Learning" which was his big film on race relations. the only person in the film that cowers and cries is the lone Jewish representitive. On top of that he hasn't made a worthwhile film since "Poetic Justice". I mean seriously how do you fuck up a remake action pic like Shaft? that takes some real anti-talent..

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    the only person in the film that cowers and cries is the lone Jewish representitive.

Not true...That white girl who played the original Buffy was scared and crying when she was raped by that frat boy. Imagine that.

Oh, and DJ Qualls played a cute, earnest character, but doesn't figure into the plot as prominently as the previews might suggest. He reminded me of how I picture a lot of you guys, holed up in your bedrooms making beatz.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the only person in the film that cowers and cries is the lone Jewish representitive.

Not true...That white girl who played the original Buffy was scared and crying when she was raped by that frat boy. Imagine that.

yeah, that is true, but she is redeemed a bit in the end as a stronger person, as opposed to the Jewish character.

As for DJ qualls thats the dude...like looking into a straight-haired mirror

washington post gave it a gggrrreeeeaat review.
    i was a bit surprised by how much praise they sang about it,
    like it was the bestest movie with the finest acting and brilliant script
    & such a great plot
    shocking that the review was wrong
    now where's that paperboy
    i gotta read before the flea

The Wall Street Journal gave it a great review, too, but the New York Times review was a lot more accurate and balanced. It wasn't such a bad film; it just didn't live up to its potential, in my opinion. I mentioned to D****l that the slow pacing was fairly accurate because people's real lives don't have the dramatic arc that a movie does. So I imagine film reviewers were getting a little rush from seeing "authentic" black performances...The fact that the writer/director is white might have something to do with their excitement, too.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Wait so.... Singleton portrays one Jew negatively in one movie... he becomes a racist asshole... Jewish producers portray Black people as ignorant, violent, misogynist, the list goes on... in almost everything coming out of Hollywood... and???

That's muy sensitivo, adam...

7 pages..... NOW!

yeah, that is true, but she is redeemed a bit in the end as a stronger person, as opposed to the Jewish character.

You're talking about Michael Rapaport, right? He may be Jewish in real life, but I don't think his character is Jewish in that movie. He was playing a small-town middle American; he joined a neo-Nazi group, remember?

Wait so.... Singleton portrays one Jew negatively in one movie... he becomes a racist asshole... Jewish producers portray Black people as ignorant, violent, misogynist, the list goes on... in almost everything coming out of Hollywood... and???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

That's muy sensitivo, adam...

7 pages..... NOW!

I only got about 3 pages of argument in me.

but yeah maybe it is sensitive, but if you haven't been able to tell by now that I am sensitive about the portrayals of Jews in the media than you haven't been paying enough attention.

Still trying to find that documentary about how Jewish studio Owners ignored the holocaust in film & TV up until the 70's " Imaginary Witness"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

You're talking about Michael Rapaport, right? He may be Jewish in real life, but I don't think his character is Jewish in that movie. He was playing a small-town middle American; he joined a neo-Nazi group, remember?

no the character I am speaking on was realtively minor. He was the 3rd roommate in the place shared by Omar Epps & Rappaport.

Dude turns total bitch and cowers on the floor when Rappaport pulls out a gun while Epps is just like "fuck that" and chases him down.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

There might be anti semites in the world.

I don't think that John Singleton is one of them.

My ever so slight perverted dyslexia made me read the title of this thread as:

"I know a pimp out there that's hard for you."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

no the character I am speaking on was realtively minor. He was the 3rd roommate in the place shared by Omar Epps & Rappaport.
    Dude turns total bitch and cowers on the floor when Rappaport pulls out a gun while Epps is just like "fuck that" and chases him down.

Comedy

I suppose if you had had a chance to edit the script, Omar Epps and the other guy would have locked eyes, exchanged a pound, and then chased after Rappaport together?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Comedy

I suppose if you had had a chance to edit the script, Omar Epps and the other guy would have locked eyes, exchanged a pound, and then chased after Rappaport together?

no, this is what woulda hapeened in the Adam Klein version:

Omar Epps chases him down while Jew boy sits back complaining about how annoying a roommate Remy was than afte Omar Epps catches him he is promptly arrested and brought up to trial in some sort of college court with the Jew guy serving as the prosecuting lawyer who gets him 20 years behind bars for originally taking this role.

I thnk it woulda made for better film

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I was kind of looking forward to this movie, but it was just

We did, however, see a preview for this, which looks good as sh!t:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/roll_bounce/

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Comedy

no, this is what woulda hapeened in the Adam Klein version:

Omar Epps chases him down while Jew boy sits back complaining about how annoying a roommate Remy was than afte Omar Epps catches him he is promptly arrested and brought up to trial in some sort of college court with the Jew guy serving as the prosecuting lawyer who gets him 20 years behind bars for originally taking this role.

I thnk it woulda made for better film

So that makes him a racist asshole? Was the writer/director not only white, but also jewish?!?!?!?!

I swear guzzo, you are the only semite I know that still feels persecuted even while living in fucking HOLLYWOOD!!!!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    but yeah maybe it is sensitive, but if you haven't been able to tell by now that I am sensitive about the portrayals of Jews in the media than you haven't been paying enough attention.

Hear that, Folks? We're not paying enough attention to Guzzo.

Sorry, I totally didn't remember that character; it's interesting that scene resonated with you so deeply.

...But can we get back to how hard it's out there for a pimp? (Keep hustlin'...)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Hear that, Folks? We're not paying enough attention to Guzzo.

you guys never do

I was kind of looking forward to this movie, but it was just

We did, however, see a preview for this, which looks good as sh!t:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/roll_bounce/

Yeah, that looks pretty good, but I'm really trying to see that "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" (50 Cent's rendition of 8 Mile).

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I mean seriously how do you fuck up a remake action pic like Shaft? that takes some real anti-talent..

You really didn't like it? it was highly entertaining top me,especially the performances by Jeffrey Wright and Christian Bale,they played those roles up to the hilt.I also liked Baby Boy, please dont attack me one this one