Rawkus Appreciation

Comments

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

Breezy,

How is Eminem's Anyman backpacker?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    While we're on the topic of Rawkus just thought I'd chime in and say Talib Kweli sucks and always has.

Bye.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    While we're on the topic of Rawkus just thought I'd chime in and say Talib Kweli sucks and always has.

Bye.

YES!

Breezy,

Well, im not here to nitpick the album, but..... When the video for that was on TRL... oh wait I meant when that record peaked at # oh wait, what I mean to say is that it is on a backpacker collection. And it sucks,

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Notice Faux, that half the classics that people recollected here from Rawkus are on this record--crosstown beef, 1999, mayor, when it rains it pours, patriotism, etc...
    um, no one recollected patriotism.

and Kweli is pretty good especially "Manifesto"

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Bye.

YES!

mos def tries to rescue him....but to no avail...

Soundbombing is a collection of half decent backpacker tracks. The other are really boring, lame, etc.. Im not hating. There are several rawkus tracks i like. just, it didnt change anything, and rap has a whole wasnt/or was barely affected by a majority these singles/albums/artists.

Soundbombing is a collection of half decent backpacker tracks. The other are really boring, lame, etc.. Im not hating. There are several rawkus tracks i like. just, it didnt change anything, and rap has a whole wasnt/or was barely affected by a majority these singles/albums/artists.
    not trying to argue here, just curious...what are some indies that did affect rap as a whole? Fondle 'Em?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    not trying to argue here, just curious...what are some indies that did affect rap as a whole? Fondle 'Em?

Def Jam

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Def Jam

ALWAYS overlooked as once "indie"

Solesides. Don't hate y'all know it's true.

Def Jam
    let me re-phrase... what BACKPACK tracks (or albums ) do you like, DocBeezy? (no defjamislandmusicgroup)

No Limit. Don't hate y'all know it's true.

Breezy,

Well, im not here to nitpick the album, but..... When the video for that was on TRL... oh wait I meant when that record peaked at # oh wait, what I mean to say is that it is on a backpacker collection. And it sucks,

What do "Can't Touch this," "Ice Ice Baby," "Mo Money Mo Problems," and "It's gettin hot in here" all have in common? They all charted well and as videos were in heavy rotation on MTV.

Roc-A-fella changed the game.

Solesides did not change the rap game. come on now.

Fondle had decent shit.

All im sayin is that dudes over estimate underground labels reach. Most of that shit came and went without being noticed except for a bunch of white college kids.

No limit. yeah sure.

Solesides.
    what else should i be looking out for besides Melodica, Nia, Endtroducing and Latyrx?

I do enjoy "I Changed my Mind" ...just wish I had "Lady Don't Tek No" to compliment it.

No Limit.
    anything here that you'd recommend for playing out?
    I just dumped my doubles of Bitch Please.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Notice Faux, that half the classics that people recollected here from Rawkus are on this record--crosstown beef, 1999, mayor, when it rains it pours, patriotism, etc...

I think the label changed the game and at its peak put out undisputed classic material. It's a shame that Talib and mos fell off. But black on both sides is one of hip hop's top ten records and sound bombing is clearly the best mix tape ever committed to commercial distribution. And as far as backpacker ish goes, Rawkus was never Dream warriors/arrested development/ blackilicious level. And don't forget Thurston Howell's Skillionaire or the first Lyricist Lounge four LP joint.

Vitamin, I don't think anybody in this thread besides you is trying to claim that any of that sh!t is classic.

Broad assertions like "But black on both sides is one of hip hop's top ten records and sound bombing is clearly the best mix tape ever committed to commercial distribution" don't do anything to further your argument--they just establish that you don't know much about rap.

I also think you don't know what the word "backpacker" means because all of the artists you're holding up as examples of ultimate backpackism, are really much more on the headwraps-n-incense tip, which is something else entirely.

Breezy,

Comedy, dude--how is that sh!t not backpacktastic?

Fondle had decent shit.

All im sayin is that dudes over estimate underground labels reach. Most of that shit came and went without being noticed except for a bunch of white college kids.
    [white college (grad) kid] I just wanted to be schooled on your favorite underground/indy joints. My Fondle 'Em game is mad weak for instance. Besides wanting Siah & Yeshua's EP, I'm unsure about whats really. I know lots of people mention Cenobites...I should probably peep that.

i'm way behind the curve as i am with most things, so I'd like to see what people think is really classic from this niche. [/white college (grad) kid with a late pass]

Def Jam

No Limit--pretty much every rap label of note (a number that does not include Rawkus) at least started out independent.

A lot of dudes on SoulStrut won't acknowledge the independence of an operation that is either too successful or that achieved its success almost entirely with the support of black folks, though.

Solesides. Don't hate y'all know it's true.

Give me a break, man--"rap as a whole" never even heard of any of that sh!t.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Any man that rolls with Vitaman with a handicam in Afghanistan...

...is fuckin' crazy.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I think the label changed the game and at its peak put out undisputed classic material. It's a shame that Talib and mos fell off. But black on both sides is one of hip hop's top ten records and sound bombing is clearly the best mix tape ever committed to commercial distribution. And as far as backpacker ish goes, Rawkus was never Dream warriors/arrested development/ blackilicious level. And don't forget Thurston Howell's Skillionaire or the first Lyricist Lounge four LP joint.

Vitamin, I don't think anybody in this thread besides you is trying to claim that any of that sh!t is classic.

Broad assertions like "But black on both sides is one of hip hop's top ten records and sound bombing is clearly the best mix tape ever committed to commercial distribution" don't do anything to further your argument--they just establish that you don't know much about rap.

I also think you don't know what the word "backpacker" means because all of the artists you're holding up as examples of ultimate backpackism, are really much more on the headwraps-n-incense tip, which is something else entirely.

Jesus, Faux, don't you know what the word 'UNDISPUTED' means?

black on both sides is one of hip hop's top ten records
    yeah, i don't see this one. i mean "Habitat" is my fuckin joint and May-December is cool... Ms. Fat Booty can still work (sometimes). and I just picked up "Umi Says" because its got a really nice instrumental.
    but some of the other tracks on there...

• looking back..the best thing Rawkus ever did for me was make me a good bit of cash on Ebay.

No limit. yeah sure.

sarcasm? for better or for worse they changed the game, if only by introducing a whole lot of sub-par southern rappers to the scene and creating this..er.."look":

Jesus, Faux, don't you know what the word 'UNDISPUTED' means?

Vitamin is helping me to gain an understanding of its meaning through his repeated use of it--my working understanding thus far something like: "an adjective applied to any positions that contesting will provoke a hissy fit in Vitamin"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

So I guess I???m the only one who thinks Mos Def is totally overrated and boring and should just stick to acting?

Faux,

And what's your argument" You're wrong Vitamin, and I'm right. In the late nineties after Poc and Biggie are slain senselessly, Rawkus emerged as an intelligent counterweight to a nihilistic trend in the industry to celebrate senseless violence. It was not all hippy dippy and lots of white college kids did like it. To be honest I don't know what the street crowd reaction was to Rawkus. I do know that at least in DC and Philly "Simon Says" was a huge club hit and got mad radio play. The lyrical structure, the content and the overall aesthetic of the best of Rawkus endures. Mater P or all the post-Biggie Puffiness is unlistenable today. How much late 90s hip hop has endured? Jay Z? Sure. Ghostface? definitely. Who else? Nas and Oochi Walli, DMX and the Rough Ryders? Come on. Well the first Dark Star record is hot still. Listen to Thieves in the Night and tell me you are not blown away by their lyrics. And you can definitely see how tracks like that influenced Jadakiss' Why last year.

Vitamin