Moodymann

ThermosThermos 307 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central

b, 21b, 21Discuss.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Proper house music.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Moodymann thread from a year ago:b, 21b, 21http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1b, 21b, 21All the mp3 links are dead though.b, 21b, 21Did "Freaky MF" ever come out on vinyl? If so, please to point me in the right direction.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Moodymann thread from a year ago:b, 21b, 21http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1b, 21b, 21All the mp3 links are dead though.b, 21b, 21Did "Freaky MF" ever come out on vinyl? If so, please to point me in the right direction. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I think only in a very limited pressing, but there's another 12" coming up that features Freaky MF. I can send the mp3 if you want..?b, 21b, 21Anyone got this KDJ record by the way?

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    i love i'd rather be lonely img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Is it true that he beat up that St. Germain guy once?

• Maybe a good Moodymann quote could spark this thread up:b, 21b, 21???white suburban kids, sampling black music all the time??? you???re making black music sound silly, weak and tired.???

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's the monthly Moodyman thread! b, 21b, 21Casual racism aside, I like his music.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Maybe a good Moodymann quote could spark this thread up:b, 21b, 21???white suburban kids, sampling black music all the time??? you???re making black music sound silly, weak and tired.??? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Or even a brief Theo Parrish interview...

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    http://www.fullbozman.com/b, 21b, 21AFter about 30 minutes he gets way too preachy and starts dissing people using Serat-o which made him look lame. Seriously I know dj's who have some incredible collections yet chose serat-o for practical reasons. There's no way I'm going to a gig with 4 crates anymore.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21http://www.fullbozman.com/b, 21b, 21AFter about 30 minutes he gets way too preachy and starts dissing people using Serat-o which made him look lame. Seriously I know dj's who have some incredible collections yet chose serat-o for practical reasons. There's no way I'm going to a gig with 4 crates anymore. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21enjoyed his set at southport weekender, he played all vinyl.

• I enjoy the focus and craft put into these guy's music, but this kind of aesthetic elitism is never a good look. The sanctimonious attitude of many creators and fans of this scene turn me off.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I enjoy the focus and craft put into these guy's music, but this kind of aesthetic elitism is never a good look. The sanctimonious attitude of many creators and fans of this scene turn me off. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's an attempt to protect what they feel is worthy of holding sacred. They even go so far as to do little to no press for their own releases, etc. Def helps sort out the heads from fair weathers. I lean towards respecting how they go about doing business. It really is about the music.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I enjoy the focus and craft put into these guy's music, but this kind of aesthetic elitism is never a good look. The sanctimonious attitude of many creators and fans of this scene turn me off. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's an attempt to protect what they feel is worthy of holding sacred. They even go so far as to do little to no press for their own releases, etc. Def helps sort out the heads from fair weathers. I lean towards respecting how they go about doing business. It really is about the music. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I enjoy the music but try stay away from holding any commodity as sacred. I'd rather have 1000 Microwave DJ's throwing great parties than 1000 vinyl purists making great white label releases in batches of 500.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I enjoy the music but try stay away from holding any commodity as sacred. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21With an attitude like that...might i suggest that you are on the wrong board...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    if they didnt make amazing music it would be very easy to dislike them, but because they do make amazing music its kind of like ... hmm.b, 21b, 21esp because '1000 microwave djs' spinning blog house are by and large not making particularly good music

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21if they didnt make amazing music it would be very easy to dislike them, but because they do make amazing music its kind of like ... hmm.b, 21b, 21esp because '1000 microwave djs' spinning blog house are by and large not making particularly good music b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21but then again i assume that guys like moodyman play longer tracks, thus having to carry less in total. Try that when u play funk, hiphop or so and when u like to quickmix. 4 crates for a night was not unusual for me. Then again, i dunno, i've never seen moodyman spin, so i could be wrong...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    /font1
    b, 21b, 21I think only in a very limited pressing, but there's another 12" coming up that features Freaky MF. I can send the mp3 if you want..?b, 21b, 21Anyone got this KDJ record/a1 by the way? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21OH SHIT, I've been looking for that track for ages, please to hook a brother up!b, 21b, 21

• I agree with what both Thermos and Drew are saying. House music has definitely been taken over, co-opted and I understand why KDJ or Theo P feel that way, especially since it concerns a music that is a direct product of where they grew up.b, 21b, 21At the same time I think great worthwhile music deserves to be heard by as many people as possible. I'd rather be able to choose from a range of clubs where "good music" is being played as opposed to a handfull.b, 21b, 21In terms of Dixon's attitude on Microwave, he prob has the artistic luxury of just having to play music he actually LIKES from his record collection and having the freight taken care of when traveling.

• and not to thread jack I picked up some old DJ Sneak twelve from 96 (?) over the weekend. Heavy moodyman/dez vibes.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21if they didnt make amazing music it would be very easy to dislike them, but because they do make amazing music its kind of like ... hmm.b, 21b, 21esp because '1000 microwave djs' spinning blog house are by and large not making particularly good music b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Well, I dunno that there's too much wrong with being serious about what you do. I mean, for a long time those cats and others like them have been coming to Europe and quite often playing their music to rooms full of nothing but pill-monkeys who aren't exactly what you'd call a discerning crowd, so in that respect I can understand them wanting to emphasise that, yes, there is a point to what we're trying to do, and yes, it is about tradition, and yes, it's important to us that what we do has a connection to those traditions. On the other hand, don't dis the next man just because he does his job with a different set of tools, unless you know for sure that he hasn't put the work in and is just taking a short cut, because it makes you sound like you're on some "disco taliban" shit otherwise.b, 21b, 21I do know, though, that KDJ pissed off a lot of people in the UK with that comment about "white kids from the suburbs", and there were quite a few heads in London on some "F*ck Kenny Dixon" shit for a while. Until the next record came out, that is, and then it was "he's a f*ckin' genius" again...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21there's another 12" coming up that features Freaky MF. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This should be available NEXT MONDAY. b, 21b, 21b, 21It's easy to see why he made said statements at one point.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    his statements about race are on point as far as economics go, but his statements about music are really narrow and boring - which is funny because his music isnt narrow or boring at ALL - its like imagine a conscious rapper who talks all the boring-ass time about how conscious rap >>>> gangsta rap ... and then he drops a classic record!!! that doesnt happen in rap music - i dont mean 'he drops a halfway decent headwrap effort,' i mean drops straight-up classics like theo parrish and moodymann do! haha its funny really

• Everyone is so reasonable and seeing all sides of the argument in this thread.b, 21b, 21That new 12" will be gripped.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Everyone is so reasonable and seeing all sides of the argument in this thread.b, 21b, 21That new 12" will be gripped. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21F*ck YOU WHITE BWOY!b, 21b, 21b, 21there fixed b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Everyone is so reasonable and seeing all sides of the argument in this thread.b, 21b, 21That new 12" will be gripped. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21F*ck YOU WHITE BWOY!b, 21b, 21b, 21there fixed b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21anyody see ck lewis' stand up show yet ?b, 21b, 21he has a part where hes like...time machines only work well for white people. pick a time any time.b, 21b, 21regardless of any rhetoric from kdj....i felt a bit foolish rocking off ser.ato (even tho i played all edits) when he pulled out all vinyl for his set. he just plays the record tho...old school roller rink steez.b, 21b, 21my thing with cats trying to front on djs playing ser.ato is this:b, 21b, 21you and your boy rock cdj's ....so what the fuccccck you really saying ?b, 21at least i still use a turntable...chumps.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    KDJ is old school, purist kind of DJ. At Apartment last month, he was on the mic in between cuts talking about how one of the needles was effed up and "that's aight, we're gonna do this like we're in Mamma's basement". b, 21b, 21Sure, there may have been skips and some pockets of dead air, but he didn't get thrown off by the technical deficiencies of the booth, just made a good night happen for everyone in the spot. Actually added a lot of charm to the set.b, 21b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21KDJ is old school, purist kind of DJ. At Apartment last month, he was on the mic in between cuts talking about how one of the needles was effed up and "that's aight, we're gonna do this like we're in Mamma's basement". b, 21b, 21Sure, there may have been skips and some pockets of dead air, but he didn't get thrown off by the technical deficiencies of the booth, just made a good night happen for everyone in the spot. Actually added a lot of charm to the set.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that's a sign of a true professional and someone who's been deejaying for a while.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21KDJ is old school, purist kind of DJ. At Apartment last month, he was on the mic in between cuts talking about how one of the needles was effed up and "that's aight, we're gonna do this like we're in Mamma's basement". b, 21b, 21Sure, there may have been skips and some pockets of dead air, but he didn't get thrown off by the technical deficiencies of the booth, just made a good night happen for everyone in the spot. Actually added a lot of charm to the set.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that's a sign of a true professional and someone who's been deejaying for a while. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21A REAL PROFESSIONAL WOULDA JUST SWITCHED TO INTERNAL MODE ON THE BUSTED DECK.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21A REAL PROFESSIONAL WOULDA JUST SWITCHED TO INTERNAL MODE ON THE BUSTED DECK. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Exactly.b, 21b, 21People paid to go see him. So I cold care less about going to see Kool Herc playing the same records he's been spinning for the past 35 years if they sound like sh*t and he doesn't know how to mix. b, 21That's why this mentality of "keeping it real" with only vinyl sets is lame. If the next guy is rocking Serat-o and has some exclusive edits or can mix songs more efficiently I rather go see that guy and not the guy who's stuck in the past and plays all 7 or 8 minutes of each and every disco cut.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nagl2.gif" alt="" 21 IMO

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I posted a story on here once before about how Moodymann showed up to a gig late and seemingly drunk/high with several family members in tote and proceeded to phone-in a set -- taking too long to pick out the next record, letting the first record hit the run-out groove, a little dead space, no cohesion whatsoever.b, 21b, 21I gave him the benefit of the doubt but it was poor showing.