Popsike Alternative

dark0dark0 61 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
So for the past month and a bit I've been collecting data off e-bay for completed auctions to do some research and I decided to throw up an interface so anyone can search through completed auctions and use it as a record price guide.b, 21So far I have about 30,000 items in the database.b, 21b, 21I realize I don't have as much data as Popsike since they've been around for much longer but I think one of the benefits of my site is that the data is updated every couple of hours with the latest auctions as opposed to every 4 months or whatever they do. Plus I'm pulling any auction which sold for $23+ (I chose that number at random). I want to keep this site free as well. I realize the design is pretty basic but I'm going to keep working on it.b, 21b, 21If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I already have some ideas that i'm working on, but I'm always open to anything that will improve it.b, 21b, 21Here's the link Collectors Frenzy

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Cool that you're doing this. For searches with no results a prompt such as "no results" might be better than a blank white screen.

• thanks so much dude! this is awesome.b, 21peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    how do you make $$$$$ doin this?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    very commendable effortb, 21b, 21i am sure you can search popsike (n thread titles) for suggestionsb, 21b, 21keep up the great work

• Not bad. Keep working on making that database bigger! b, 21b, 21We appreciate this.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    Added the "no results"b, 21b, 21I'm not making any money off of it right now, I just want to build the website up for now. I'm using my cable modem to connect and i'm doing all the programming/database/design myself. Costs are pretty minimum besides the dual processor quad core server I bought to use as the database. I need to do more research about adsense (I have a couple of banners that I quickly threw up) to generate money and e-bay has some programs if you direct traffic to them to generate money. But that's down the road.b, 21b, 21Some of the additions i'm considering are a statistics page to let people which days have the most sales, which time periods, which months, etc.

• cool site - already googled across and bookmarked this yesterday! Do you want to keep it strictly "dry" ebay results or do you want visitors to be able to add something too? Popsike has that (imho) ridiculous stars-system - a good idea, but poorly executed.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I'm open to any ideas which people would find useful. I need to think of an affective way for users to rate items, so if you anyone has an suggestions of a good way to do it, let me know. I'll think about a good way to do it in the mean time. Perhaps comments for specific items would be useful? I would like for the site to become more user driven, to make search results more relevant, etc.b, 21b, 21I'm also trying to redesign the details page because I put it together quickly and it's difficult dealing with other people's html code (from the description people use in e-bay), it might break things in the page.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Potentially very hot. Keep it simple and easy to use.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nice work, I see you bookmarked a few of my recent sales alreadyb, 21b, 21have you seen this:b, 21b, 21http://www.musicpriceguide.com/ ?

• The question I have is with all the billions of dollars Ebay makes why cant they collate and provide a service like popsike but more comprehensive?b, 21b, 21I would be happy to pay for it if it included everything.b, 21they could do one for records,Books,coins etc

• Cool site I hope that it works out well for you. It's probably hard to build up the library that popsike has but at least your site is free and perhaps down the road you could specialize in certain genres to add additional appeal to your site (ie european jazz, rockabilly.. things that would give your site an extra edge).

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The question I have is with all the billions of dollars Ebay makes why cant they collate and provide a service like popsike but more comprehensive?b, 21b, 21I would be happy to pay for it if it included everything.b, 21they could do one for records,Books,coins etc b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21because they don't want sober reference guides -- they want crazy bid victoriously impulse bidding wars.

• also, dark0 i just wrote a long ass poast here w/ comments. it got deleted or the form erased it. i'll chime in again tomorrow.b, 21b, 21first off, great job. i typed in "onyeabor" and some psych titles i'm after and you had them in the database. when did you start pulling results and are you connecting directly to the ebay api or are just scraping rss?

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I've only been pulling data for about a month. I'm using their webservice to pull the data. I wrote an application to pull the data/thumbnails, and insert into the database. Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Why did you decide to include the Seller's/Buyer's feedback scores?b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21the site rocks: way better than poopsike for current stuff. Seeing all this ill shit that has ended makes me want to step my 'Bay game up.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I thought buyer/seller feedback would be useful to someone, no real reason for including it. I have buyer/seller ids in my database as well, but I decided not to include them.

• Bookmarked, Baby! Very nice, you got the goods, well done, I'll give it a run through tomorrow when I'm sober.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 I have buyer/seller ids in my database as well, but I decided not to include them. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Good

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    good looking site, keep it up man. Thanks

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Bookmarked!b, 21Thanks mang!

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I've created a mobile version for use out in the field. It's stripped down, so no thumbnails, and no details (yet). I can't really test it since I don't have a mobile device with me at the moment. But if there are any problems let me know.b, 21b, 21http://mobile.collectorsfrenzy.com

• img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oj.gif" alt="" 21

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    nice work!

• anybody know what happened to this? i just tried going there and got it looks like it's no longer up? bummer.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Works for me...

• weird... good to know it's at least an isolated problem. thanks.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I made some changes to the server yesterday but they shouldn't affect anyone being able to connect to it. Does it pop up with any error message?

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    You could also include Start Bid info.