Popsike Alternative

Comments

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    The data I pull from e-bay doesn't give me start bid info, otherwise I would have added that info for sure. I haven't had time to work on this site recently due to other obligations but data is being constantly updated anyways. I'll try to make improvements early next year.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    good to know. b, 21b, 21By the way, typing in 10" (with a quotation mark, not two apostrophes) brings up this weird jargon.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I made some changes to the server yesterday but they shouldn't affect anyone being able to connect to it. Does it pop up with any error message?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah, this is what i get... b, 21b, 21Not Foundb, 21b, 21HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21good to know.
    b, 21
    b, 21By the way, typing in 10" (with a quotation mark, not two apostrophes) brings up this weird jargon.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The database doesn't like certain characters so I need to fix that. Thanksb, 21b, 21b, 21Check to see if you get the 404 now

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Check to see if you get the 404 now
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21works again, thanks!!!

• maybe a check box to auto-filter out bdjukic listings.b, 21i'm actually not kidding.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21maybe a check box to auto-filter out bdjukic listings.
    b, 21i'm actually not kidding.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21BAN SHUGA

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21maybe a check box to auto-filter out bdjukic listings.
    b, 21i'm actually not kidding.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Haha if that's something you want I could easily implement that

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    I thought buyer/seller feedback would be useful to someone, no real reason for including it. I have buyer/seller ids in my database as well, but I decided not to include them.

I just checked out your site, and one thing I find very relevant is the fact that you included feedback score of buyer and seller. The feedback score influences the price.

Sometimes you do see guys with a low score of 10 or less posting a rare ass record. They might only get $100 where a guy with a score of 100 or more would get $200.

It also happens from time to time that some people create ebay ids just to win auctions, but they never intend to pay. They bid up high and don't pay. Those guys usually have a low feedback score.

Very relevant information to include IMO.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Great stuff, keep up the good work!

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I'll be making some changes starting in a couple of weeks. The first modification i'm going to work on is to modify my application to start adding auctions from other regions. I'm also going to redesign the details page since I think it looks terrible, it's a bit tricky since everyone has their own code in their descriptions but i'll figure something out. I also want to add a currency convert, but that's a bit tricky due to currency fluctuation, but I will see what I can do about that. I also have bigger long term plans. If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Thanks for the great work you're doing at CF.

I was looking at the Verocai's auction and found that
    everytime an apostrophe ( ' ) is used it shows some weird characters,
    like these ones ?? ??? ???. Not that this means anything, though.
    Also, for the currencies you could simply add a link to some service
    like www.xe.com, for instance.

Peace

I'll be making some changes starting in a couple of weeks. The first modification i'm going to work on is to modify my application to start adding auctions from other regions. I'm also going to redesign the details page since I think it looks terrible, it's a bit tricky since everyone has their own code in their descriptions but i'll figure something out. I also want to add a currency convert, but that's a bit tricky due to currency fluctuation, but I will see what I can do about that. I also have bigger long term plans. If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    Thanks for the great work you're doing at CF.

I was looking at the Verocai's auction and found that
    everytime an apostrophe ( ' ) is used it shows some weird characters,
    like these ones ?? ??? ???. Not that this means anything, though.
    Also, for the currencies you could simply add a link to some service
    like www.xe.com, for instance.

Peace

I'll look into the first issue Moogman, I think it's due to character encoding. I might end up redesigning the whole thing since I pretty much did the whole website in a few days.

The tricky part about the currencies for example is that the British Pound is not the the same value in comparison to the US dollar today as it was a year ago and vice-versa. XE does offer currency conversions for specific days though. It would be a lot nice if I could do the conversion simply by having a user click on a button to convert it. I'll figure something out though.

• good work

• much appreciated!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I use collectorfrenzy almost exclusively now. Rarely use popsike.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I use collectorfrenzy almost exclusively now. Rarely use popsike.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The tricky part about the currencies for example is that the British Pound is not the the same value in comparison to the US dollar today as it was a year ago and vice-versa. XE does offer currency conversions for specific days though. It would be a lot nice if I could do the conversion simply by having a user click on a button to convert it. I'll figure something out though.

Most people who are heavy ebay users are up on the current conversion rates. I think maybe you'd be going to a lot of trouble for something that's not entirely necessary, and matching the date of the auction to the correct conversion rate even more so.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    think about what you just said

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    What?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    currency converter is unneccesary IMO.

• This is excellent -- thank you dark0.

Any easy way to see past days results (front page search-able by date)?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You need to do something about the picture size--that's probably the only place where popsike will continue to have the advantage as time goes.

You need to do something about the picture size--that's probably the only place where popsike will continue to have the advantage as time goes.
    this is true, bigger pics on the item page would be nice.

• Looks good. Are you going to rip all the info of popsike too?

Peace,

Dress

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    Looks good. Are you going to rip all the info of popsike too?

Peace,

Dress

Haha I actually wrote a program to do that a few months ago, and I did collect about 20,000 auctions. But I don't know how ethical it would be to use it.

Big pictures is something I'm considering. I'm worried about how it would affect the speed of the site, but I agree that bigger pictures would be much more useful. One problem is that I wouldn't be able to get bigger pictures for previous auctions.

I'll add a button to view previous top selling items for the day in a couple of weeks when I overhaul the site.

i don't know if i'd bother with the popsike stuff. it's already on popsike & the speed CF is updating with compared to popsike's sporadic adds means that your info will me more on point soon enough anyway. Also, some of the popsike results are old & maybe not so relevant these days.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    this is a great site. i'm thinking about getting an iphone just so i can field check when i'm out in the wild... great stuff!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    i'm thinking about getting an iphone just so i can field check when i'm out in the wild

ugh

I think incorporating the popsike data would be useful.

Second the request for big pictures.

Great site.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Haha I actually wrote a program to do that a few months ago, and I did collect about 20,000 auctions. But I don't know how ethical it would be to use it.

F*ck em - use the data - popsike took it all off ebay anyway - the auction grabs aren't their 'property' in any sense