McCain's Concession Speech

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Not mad at all. I've talked to people through the evening and this morning and we agreed and asked "Where was that McCain the whole time?". Honestly, that was the McCain that should of been running. He would of definitely not of gotten my vote but I will say the election and maybe even the outcome would be different.b,121b,121iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27545964#27545964" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"1/iframe1b,121b,121LOL at f*cking Palin being on stage. I would be beyond ashamed to even show my face at that point. The hubris of that dipshit.

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    he looks and sounds like he knows that what happened is what's best for the country and the world. b,121b,121I posted this in the election highlights thread:b,121b,121"b, 21Re: Your favourite Election Night moments?b,121b,121onetet Said:b,121b,121honestly, for all the high points one of the most memorable and emblematic moments of last night was the gathering at McCain's HQ. the crowd's ferocious booing at the very mention of Obama's name -- in a humble and respectful context, no less -- says a lot.b,121b,121IMO, McCain was visably dismayed by these reactions, and may have had an epiphany about just how low his campaign was aiming in the final days to reach what his people may have hoped was a "silent majority" of small-minded people living in bigotry and fear. People with that mentality are going to have a hard 4-8 years -- and, I hope, will spend that time learning and growing."

• yeah, I thought he was a very gracious loser. b, 21b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121LOL at f*cking Palin being on stage. I would be beyond ashamed to even show my face at that point. The hubris of that dipshit. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121^^^^my girl and I were noticing how McCain barely acknowledged her on stage, and how his body language was almost saying 'you cost me this election beyotch'

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121yeah, I thought he was a very gracious loser. b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121LOL at f*cking Palin being on stage. I would be beyond ashamed to even show my face at that point. The hubris of that dipshit. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121^^^^my girl and I were noticing how McCain barely acknowledged her on stage, and how his body language was almost saying 'you cost me this election beyotch' b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121YUP! Dude could barely face TODD THE DUDE as well when he shook his hand. I think a huge factor for him loosing was Palin. But yo, who cares at this pointb,121b,121b,121OBAMA f*cking KILLED IT!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121yeah, I thought he was a very gracious loser. b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121LOL at f*cking Palin being on stage. I would be beyond ashamed to even show my face at that point. The hubris of that dipshit. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121^^^^my girl and I were noticing how McCain barely acknowledged her on stage, and how his body language was almost saying 'you cost me this election beyotch' b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121she was like a lead weight on a ship that was possibly going to stay afloat...as soon as she came...it was sinking...b,121b,121b,121I thought he was classy with his outro speech...and have to agree he may have done better being that guy...

• yep, he was DONE with it by the time he gave that speech.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121yeah, I thought he was a very gracious loser. b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121LOL at f*cking Palin being on stage. I would be beyond ashamed to even show my face at that point. The hubris of that dipshit. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121^^^^my girl and I were noticing how McCain barely acknowledged her on stage, and how his body language was almost saying 'you cost me this election beyotch' b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121YUP! Dude could barely face TODD THE DUDE as well when he shook his hand. I think a huge factor for him loosing was Palin. But yo, who cares at this pointb,121b,121b,121OBAMA f*cking KILLED IT! b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121There are some interesting insights here: http://www.newsweek.com/id/167581b,121b,121In particular:b,121b,121"McCain himself rarely spoke to Palin during the campaign, and aides kept him in the dark about the details of her spending on clothes because they were sure he would be offended. Palin asked to speak along with McCain at his Arizona concession speech Tuesday night, but campaign strategist Steve Schmidt vetoed the request./b1"

• His speech was classy.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Yeah, but did you hear the McCain supporters in the crowd boo-ing? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nagl2.gif" alt="" 21

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Honestly, that was the McCain that should of been running.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Cosign. This was the honest, America-loving John McCain that Rove shredded back in 2000. I detected a conciliatory note when he said the failure of the campaign was his. I think he failed to run the campaign he wanted to run, allowing the Straight Talk Express to be replaced with more of the same hateful, fear-mongering, divisive tactics.b,121b,121The legacy of his campaign? Sarah Palin in the national spotlight. That's gotta sting the most.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    McCain's speech was thoughtful, insightful and modest.b,121b,121The exact opposite of his entire campaign.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Honestly, that was the McCain that should of been running.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Cosign. This was the honest, America-loving John McCain that Rove shredded back in 2000. I detected a conciliatory note when he said the failure of the campaign was his. I think he failed to run the campaign he wanted to run, allowing the Straight Talk Express to be replaced with more of the same hateful, fear-mongering, divisive tactics.b,121b,121The legacy of his campaign? Sarah Palin the national spotlight. That's gotta sting the most. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121^^^ I was thinking similar things things throughout this whole campaign process. Like, how much did he have to kowtow to the GOP line just to get the nomination? I mean, dude had to be thinking about this since at least 2004. b, 21b, 21here's something more scary: is Palin being groomed by the GOP for 'bigger and better' things? Chances are she'll run for senate...

• I agree that his speech was respectful, but my question is...b,121b,121would a working politician really give any other kind of speech? he still wants his job and he wants to remain positive in the eyes of Americans. I know it could have had a different tone, but I just can't really imagine what else he could have said without going down in flames. b, 21b, 21He seems like a decent guy and I am sure that his speech was heartfelt and was representative of what he wanted to get across, so I'm not doubting his sincerity. I guess I just see the whole speech as somewhat of an obligation.b,121b,121I would have had more respect for him if he did more than raise his hands to quiet the people who were booing. He did get into the fact that as an American he will stand behind his president and that everyone should support him, but I would have liked for him to just speak up for a second and ask them to be more respectful or something.

• He looked like he was going to cry.b,121b,121I feel for the man, he lost severely, and he made mistakes by not operating from his true self and stooping low at times and people could smell the instability in him. A real leader doesn't do that. Like all of us he needs to learn from his mistakes and he has a lot to think about.b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121PALIN.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121here's something more scary: is Palin being groomed by the GOP for 'bigger and better' things? Chances are she'll run for senate... b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'm not so sure about this. Given people's reactions to the dirty, hate-mongering campaign McCain/Palin ran, i'll bet the GOP is going to be doing a lot of thinking about the prospect of running future campaigns based on smear tactics and negativity. Given how everyone will forever associate her with being the reason that campaign failed, my guess is she'll be sent back to Alaska pretty sharpish.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121here's something more scary: is Palin being groomed by the GOP for 'bigger and better' things? Chances are she'll run for senate... b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'm not so sure about this. Given people's reactions to the dirty, hate-mongering campaign McCain/Palin ran, i'll bet the GOP is going to be doing a lot of thinking about the prospect of running future campaigns based on smear tactics and negativity. Given how everyone will forever associate her with being the reason that campaign failed, my guess is she'll be sent back to Alaska pretty sharpish. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Indeed. The pundits on CNN this morning were saying she has not emerged as the new head of the party, and that the poor response to her in exit polling means that she'll essentially have to go back to square one and begin rebuilding her public image if she wants to have any national prominence going forward.b,121b,121Hey Bible Spice???does being the governor of Alaska give you foreign policy experience?b,121b,121img src="http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/Great_Blue_Hills/millionaire_idiot_fail-1.jpg"1

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121He looked like he was going to cry.b,121b,121I feel for the man, he lost severely, and he made mistakes by not operating from his true self and stooping low at times and people could smell the instability in him. A real leader doesn't do that. Like all of us he needs to learn from his mistakes and he has a lot to think about.b,121b,121PALIN. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b1I feel for the man/b1b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Not me, not for a second and in no way. Do you feel for the coach of a losing Super Bowl team? If you do, I guess I feel for you. That's the game, someone's gotta win, someone's gotta lose. As we will read in the days and weeks to come, we will see just how BADLY McCain lost this campaign and seriously deserved to lose. He has more money than he could ever spend and has seen highs and lows that even fewer people can experience in a lifetime. Dude has been blessed, had the wind at his back more than most. So I don't waste one second of sympathy on him, he is simply no longer an issue. At this stage, he should RETIRE. Get out of people's way.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I agree that his speech was respectful, but my question is...b,121b,121would a working politician really give any other kind of speech?b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121There are concession speeches and there are concession speeches. b, 21b, 21Compare McCain's concession speech with Hillary Clinton's after the primaries were done. She spent more time focused on what she accomplished in her losing effort. It was "gracious" in a politically demanded way but compare that with McCain and talking about Booker T going to the White House for dinner. McCain (or his speechwriter but whatever) recognized, acknowledged and genuinely seemed to embrace the historic moment for what it was. McCain put his campaign through the prism of what was good for America and while his whole "Country First" motto might seem incredibly facile (which it kind of is), to me, his speech last night was actually walking-the-walk. b, 21b, 21It's not like I expected him to say, "let's keep the fight on, f*ck Obama!" but McCain seemed humble and sincere and those were qualities really lacking from his campaign trail.b,121b,121I also think folks give Palin 1) way too much credit for McCain's loss and 2) way too much shit. She deserves to get clowned - richly - but ultimately, she was even more victimized by this whole process than McCain was. The main diff though is that Palin's young enough and green enough that her political future is less certain. McCain will likely fade away like Bob Dole (hopefully sans E.D. commercials). But while I have no love for Palin and would NEVER want to see her anywhere near a national ticket again, McCain and his people mismanaged almost every part of her campaign, beginning with her selection to begin with. Clearly, she should never been chosen to begin with; she wasn't ready for prime time but I can't fault her for taking the call. She fucked up on her own but it's sort of like blaming a Little Leaguer for f*cking up in a MLB game - the coach deserves even more of the blame for even putting her in the game to start with). b, 21b, 21And ultimately, Palin dragged down the ticket - no question - but the single biggest thing that destroyed McCain's candidacy (besides himself) was the economy. If things were going swimmingly, I could easily imagine that McCain/Palin would have pulled far closer than they did or even won, despite all her failings.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121Not me, not for a second and in no way. Do you feel for the coach of a losing Super Bowl team? If you do, I guess I feel for you. That's the game, someone's gotta win, someone's gotta lose. As we will read in the days and weeks to come, we will see just how BADLY McCain lost this campaign and seriously deserved to lose. He has more money than he could ever spend and has seen highs and lows that even fewer people can experience in a lifetime. Dude has been blessed, had the wind at his back more than most. So I don't waste one second of sympathy on him, he is simply no longer an issue. At this stage, he should RETIRE. Get out of people's way. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121b,121I think the news in the coming weeks that will come out about Palin will damage her even further. The shopping spree shit is just the tip. And if the republicans want to get the white house back they will need to pray that Obama can't even begin to sort out this mess and they need to run a centrist candidate in 2012. Palin is not a centrist.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I agree that his speech was respectful, but my question is...b,121b,121would a working politician really give any other kind of speech?b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121There are concession speeches and there are concession speeches. b, 21b, 21Compare McCain's concession speech with Hillary Clinton's after the primaries were done. She spent more time focused on what she accomplished in her losing effort. It was "gracious" in a politically demanded way but compare that with McCain and talking about Booker T going to the White House for dinner. McCain (or his speechwriter but whatever) recognized, acknowledged and genuinely seemed to embrace the historic moment for what it was. McCain put his campaign through the prism of what was good for America and while his whole "Country First" motto might seem incredibly facile (which it kind of is), to me, his speech last night was actually walking-the-walk. b, 21b, 21It's not like I expected him to say, "let's keep the fight on, f*ck Obama!" but McCain seemed humble and sincere and those were qualities really lacking from his campaign trail.b,121b,121b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I agree 100%

• yup. the economy was the game breaker.b,121b,121weird thought to have, but when i was watching mccain's speech and thinking about the decisions the GOP probably forced him to make, i was thinking that dude should change parties. seems absurd, but it crossed my mind

• Oliver, I think you're going a bit easy on Palin. Information coming out now is definitely tending towards the "diva" description. From what I've read she really thought she was gonna be on.b,121b,121She tore the mawll up way more than the press described, and bought by one account 10k+ worth of clothes for the first dude. Often times the clothes were bought on staffers' credit cards who are still seeking reimbursement.b,121b,121I felt a little bad for her up there, but reading some of the monday morning qb'ing I'm not feeling bad at all. She's really a piece of work. b, 21b, 21I did feel bad for McCain. If it wasn't clear during the campaign, it certainly was last night, how low he had sunk and I think he will live to regret it (and also, wondering what if).

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121Not me, not for a second and in no way. Do you feel for the coach of a losing Super Bowl team? If you do, I guess I feel for you. That's the game, someone's gotta win, someone's gotta lose. As we will read in the days and weeks to come, we will see just how BADLY McCain lost this campaign and seriously deserved to lose. He has more money than he could ever spend and has seen highs and lows that even fewer people can experience in a lifetime. Dude has been blessed, had the wind at his back more than most. So I don't waste one second of sympathy on him, he is simply no longer an issue. At this stage, he should RETIRE. Get out of people's way. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121b,121I think the news in the coming weeks that will come out about Palin will damage her even further. The shopping spree shit is just the tip. And if the republicans want to get the white house back they will need to pray that Obama can't even begin to sort out this mess and they need to run a centrist candidate in 2012. Palin is not a centrist. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121There is a new Newsweek report in which a McCain aide describes her (more expensive than previously reported) clothes shopping spree as "The Wasilla Hilbillies looting Nieman Marcus coast to coast", and that $20k-$40k was spent on Todd. Now these are GOP party matters, I could care less, but the idea that she has a complete overhaul to perform on her image is an understatement. The bad news is, she's a young woman, and American's have short memories and a probably too large capacity for forgiveness.b,121b,121My favorite side effect of an Obama landslide....JOE THE f*cking PLUMBER is DONE.b, 21Thank the Lord. One more day of that presumptious fucktard would have given me the shakin' fits.

• i thought he won a seat in congress :P

• so somebody wrote a nice speech for mccain to try and make him look less like the lying piece of terd that he is - and now all is forgiven? gtfohwtbs. palin is a disgrace of a human too.b,121b,121you people have a short term memory. mccain/palin deliberately chose to campaign on lies, xenephobia and racism . and please show me a speech over the past 2 months that was about his ideas and not fear and false accusations about obama. he duped the lower educated middle class into thinking that they were joe the plumber, a fictional character that fictionally benefited under a mccain presidency. his rallies were a showcase for everything that is wrong with america.b,121b,121f*ck mccain and his concession speech.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121He looked like he was going to cry.b,121b,121I feel for the man, he lost severely, and he made mistakes by not operating from his true self and stooping low at times and people could smell the instability in him. A real leader doesn't do that. Like all of us he needs to learn from his mistakes and he has a lot to think about.b,121b,121PALIN. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b1I feel for the man[/b]b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Not me, not for a second and in no way. Do you feel for the coach of a losing Super Bowl team? If you do, I guess I feel for you. That's the game, someone's gotta win, someone's gotta lose. As we will read in the days and weeks to come, we will see just how BADLY McCain lost this campaign and seriously deserved to lose. He has more money than he could ever spend and has seen highs and lows that even fewer people can experience in a lifetime. Dude has been blessed, had the wind at his back more than most. So I don't waste one second of sympathy on him, he is simply no longer an issue. At this stage, he should RETIRE. Get out of people's way. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I feel you and I agree.b,121It's part of my personality to pause and see both sides before I get carried away with glee, it's my reflective nature, and it stems from experiencing death and loss throughout my life, there's always something to be learned from winning and from losing. And I do the same at the superbowl.b,121But it is time for the winning team to take it home.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Oliver, I think you're going a bit easy on Palin. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121yeah, I'm not trying to say she was this precious little doe who wandered out of the forest and got thrown in front of a semi-truck. But I think people tend to treat her as if she were solely operating on her own rather than a political chess piece for McCain to (mis)play. Ultimately, the lens through which we can "see" her in any true light is blurred by how she came into public view to begin with. b,121b,121I mean, all those bad interviews? That's her. b, 21b, 21Her Alaskan abuses of power? That's her. b, 21b, 21But much of her presence on the campaign trail, including stupid, divisive things she said, has to go back to McCain to some degree. He "created" her in a sense as much as she created herself.b,121b,121This all said: I could give a damn about her present or future. Good riddance to everything about that campaign and its personnel. Easily one of the worst run campaigns in modern history. b,121b,121b, 21

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Not mad at all. I've talked to people through the evening and this morning and we agreed and asked "Where was that McCain the whole time?". Honestly, that was the McCain that should of been running. He would of definitely not of gotten my vote but I will say the election and maybe even the outcome would be different.b,121b,121iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27545964#27545964" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"1/iframe1b,121b, 21LOL at f*cking Palin being on stage. I would be beyond ashamed to even show my face at that point. The hubris of that dipshit. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 all of this.b,121b,121McCain gave a very good speech--and it seemed like it was the most heartfelt one he gave through the entire race because he was free to be honest and not have to keep pushing campaign bullshit.b,121b,121And Palin? FAIL! Good.

• I don't think Palin was a pawn at all. I think she might have even been playing McCain.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Regardless of what McCain was actually feeling about Obama and the whole situation and how he ran his campaign, I think his speech was classy and he sold it. He sounded sincere. He went out on a nice note, booing supporters aside. b, 21b, 21Whoever decided Palin shouldn't give a speech deserves a Congressional medal of honor. She was standing so close to McCain and I couldn't stop thinking, "Oh god, she's not going to speak, is she?"

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Regardless of what McCain was actually feeling about Obama and the whole situation and how he ran his campaign, I think his speech was classy and he sold it. He sounded sincere. He went out on a nice note, booing supporters aside. b, 21b, 21Whoever decided Palin shouldn't give a speech deserves a Congressional medal of honor. She was standing so close to McCain and I couldn't stop thinking, "Oh god, she's not going to speak, is she?" b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121From Newsweek: "Palin asked to speak along with McCain at his Arizona concession speech Tuesday night, but campaign strategist Steve Schmidt vetoed the request."