No on prop 8

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think religion plays a role but for real: homophobia doesn't require scripture.

By the way: here we go: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gaylegal6-2008nov06,0,220763.story

But dudes... YAY on not tolerating the inhumane treatment of animals in factory farms while at the same time taking away a right from a human being!

• I think religion plays a role but for real: homophobia doesn't require scripture.

Which religion is considered the most homophobic?

in the US & the rest of the catholic world it is christianity, in other places, like Iran for instance, it is Islam. Is that what you wanted to hear ?

HOMOPHOBIA DOES NOT REQUIRE SCRIPTURE.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think religion plays a role but for real: homophobia doesn't require scripture.

Which religion is considered the most homophobic?

I haven't read the Koran yet, so I can't comment on what it says about homosexuality.

My guess is that Buddhism and Hinduism say almost nothing on the topic.

The New Testament says very little about homosexuality.

The Old Testament is very clear that homosexuality is bad bad bad.

So I would say Judaism, 7th Day Adventist and Jehovah Witness are the most homophobic.

But remember, Jewish law does not apply to non-Jews, so Jews only care what other Jews do.

• The Old Testament is very clear that homosexuality is bad bad bad.

cite your source. I'm curious because I've read scholarship that suggests that G-d's punishment of Soddom was not for their practice of homosexual acts. I know there are other references though. It's phrased as "man lying down with man" or whatever, which has allowed a grudging tolerance of lesbianism, even in some orthodox Jewish communities. there was a documentary film made about this the name of which escapes me.

in any event, to give some perspective, according to Leviticus the following are also all sins:

- shaving (leviticus 19:27),
    - shrimp (leviticus 11:10),
    - tatoos (leviticus 19:28),
    - working saturdays (leviticus 19:30),
    - polyester (leviticus 19:19),
    - bunnies (leviticus 11:6),
    - medium steak and black pudding (leviticus 17:10),
    - vegetable gardens (19:19),
    - acne (leviticus 13:14),
    - left overs from three days ago (leviticus 19:7/8),
    - mules (leviticus 19:19),
    - earrings (19:28).

• I think religion plays a role but for real: homophobia doesn't require scripture.

By the way: here we go: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gaylegal6-2008nov06,0,220763.story

But dudes... YAY on not tolerating the inhumane treatment of animals in factory farms while at the same time taking away a right from a human being!

I was looking at the numbers though and thinking "who are the assholes that voted against that one? "

I mean, can the boards of directors of factory farms be THAT big?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    My entirely Mexican/ Mexican-American class of students were 100% pro Obama and 100% against gay marriage and I think their parents voted the same way.

The Old Testament is very clear that homosexuality is bad bad bad.

cite your source. I'm curious because I've read scholarship that suggests that G-d's punishment of Soddom was not for their practice of homosexual acts. I know there are other references though. It's phrased as "man lying down with man" or whatever, which has allowed a grudging tolerance of lesbianism, even in some orthodox Jewish communities. there was a documentary film made about this the name of which escapes me.

in any event, to give some perspective, according to Leviticus the following are also all sins:

- shaving (leviticus 19:27),
    - shrimp (leviticus 11:10),
    - tatoos (leviticus 19:28),
    - working saturdays (leviticus 19:30),
    - polyester (leviticus 19:19),
    - bunnies (leviticus 11:6),
    - medium steak and black pudding (leviticus 17:10),
    - vegetable gardens (19:19),
    - acne (leviticus 13:14),
    - left overs from three days ago (leviticus 19:7/8),
    - mules (leviticus 19:19),
    - earrings (19:28).

For perspective:
    - shaving (leviticus 19:27), I shave, but feel guilty about it.
    - shrimp (leviticus 11:10), I can't get with that.
    - tatoos (leviticus 19:28), They disgust me.
    - working saturdays (leviticus 19:30), If only our society would be more religious.
    - polyester (leviticus 19:19), Totally.
    - bunnies (leviticus 11:6), What? I never heard that.
    - medium steak and black pudding (leviticus 17:10), Missed that one too.
    - vegetable gardens (19:19), Ok, I gotta look that up, that aint right.
    - acne (leviticus 13:14), Yeap.
    - left overs from three days ago (leviticus 19:7/8), Good idea.
    - mules (leviticus 19:19), Yeah, in general you can't blend stuff.
    - earrings (19:28). No piercing.

• Check channel nine. Cops are beating protesters. b, 21b, 21b, 21I'm heading over there.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This is such bullshit. When are Kennedy and/or Souter gonna retire?

• After seeing marchers getting beat, my girl and I decided we would join the march in solidarity. Of course once they passed into West Hollywood city limits, no beatings were going on. There's no way the Weho Sheriffs were going to beat marchers. Fusk the LAPD!!!

BTW most fashionable march ever.

• This is what brought me out to the streets.b, 21b, 21

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Who is standing on the roof of the police car??

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So this is interesting: 538.com is reporting that the one demographic where Obama UNDERperformed compared to John Kerry in 04 was amongst gays and lesbians. b, 21b, 21By 7 points! That's rather huge - the only other demographic where he underperformed substantially was the 65+ crowd but that was only by 2. b, 21b, 21I'm trying to wrap my head around this since I can't imagine how McCain/Palin would have looked more attractive to the LBGT crowd to have drawn such a decline in voting preference compared to Kerry/Bush. Am I missing something?b, 21b, 21(Just so we're clear though: they still went 70/30 for Obama)b, 21b, 21http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/obama-outperforms-kerry-among-virtually.html

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So this is interesting: 538.com is reporting that the one demographic where Obama UNDERperformed compared to John Kerry in 04 was amongst gays and lesbians. b, 21b, 21By 7 points! That's rather huge - the only other demographic where he underperformed substantially was the 65+ crowd but that was only by 2. b, 21b, 21I'm trying to wrap my head around this since I can't imagine how McCain/Palin would have looked more attractive to the LBGT crowd to have drawn such a decline in voting preference compared to Kerry/Bush. Am I missing something?b, 21b, 21(Just so we're clear though: they still went 70/30 for Obama)b, 21b, 21http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/obama-outperforms-kerry-among-virtually.html b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's bizarre indeed. b, 21b, 21I think Obama articulates the need for civil rights for LBGTs better than any other national politician. Though he punks out on the marriage issue. b, 21b, 21Did these numbers come from exit polls?b, 21Did you read his piece on how exit polls are inherently flawed?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I'm trying to wrap my head around this since I can't imagine how McCain/Palin would have looked more attractive to the LBGT crowd to have drawn such a decline in voting preference compared to Kerry/Bush. Am I missing something?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I can only speak from the experience of the gay people I've known personally (say a sample size in the low three figures) but I know plenty who are socially progressive but fiscally conservative. Perhaps they were willing to put their financial interests above their social interests since McCain (but not Palin) seemed less ideologically inclined to be against them compared to Bush. After all, lots of two male income households in SF earn well north of the magic $250,000 threshold.b, 21b, 21Krusty:[/b] Well, he framed me for armed robbery, but man, I'm aching for that upper-class tax cut. [votes for Bob]

And because I can't find a good picture of Krusty voting, I'll add that people often have complex reasons for choosing a candidate.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21Homer:[/b] [looks at ballot information] Hmm...I don't agree with his Bart-killing policy, but I do approve of his Selma-killing policy. [votes for Bob]

• Word.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21This is sad. Reminds me of 1994. Prop 187 anybody? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21still love the use of the numbers 187 for that prop, talk about an underlying message b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21?b, 21AHG?b, 21RG?

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I'm trying to wrap my head around this since I can't imagine how McCain/Palin would have looked more attractive to the LBGT crowd to have drawn such a decline in voting preference compared to Kerry/Bush. Am I missing something?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I can only speak from the experience of the gay people I've known personally (say a sample size in the low three figures) but I know plenty who are socially progressive but fiscally conservative. Perhaps they were willing to put their financial interests above their social interests since McCain (but not Palin) seemed less ideologically inclined to be against them compared to Bush. After all, lots of two male income households in SF earn well north of the magic $250,000 threshold.b, 21b, 21Krusty:[/b] Well, he framed me for armed robbery, but man, I'm aching for that upper-class tax cut. [votes for Bob] b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Also, and I may just be having poor recollection here but I recall Kerry being a little less clear cut as to what his stance was on gay marriage, and Obama made it a little more obvious (hopefully ONLY as a tactical move). NO candidate who actually wants to become president will say anything other than their disapproval of gay marriage (as sad as it is to say); at least at this point in time. Ignorant people (and there are a lot of them) just aren't ready to accept the fact that homosexuality is real and it isn't something you can send your child to a camp to be "cured" of. It is ironic that many groups that are discriminated against because the color of their skin choose to discriminate against someone because of whom one shares their life with.b, 21b, 21We've still got a long way to go people.b, 21b, 21P.S. Anytime someone makes a Simpsons reference it makes my day - I'm a HUGE nerd.b, 21 And firmeRola your avatar makes me laugh. WTF is going on there?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21This is sad. Reminds me of 1994. Prop 187 anybody? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21still love the use of the numbers 187 for that prop, talk about an underlying message b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21?b, 21AHG?b, 21RG? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21You need more Dr. Dre and Snoop in your life, circa 1992!

• purely anecdotal, but I know a lot of G/L folks that were riding hard for teh Hillary.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21purely anecdotal, but I know a lot of G/L folks that were riding hard for teh Hillary. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'd say "why you outing Rootless like that?" but I don't want to seem homophobic. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Also, and I may just be having poor recollection here but I recall Kerry being a little less clear cut as to what his stance was on gay marriage, and Obama made it a little more obvious (hopefully ONLY as a tactical move). NO candidate who actually wants to become president will say anything other than their disapproval of gay marriage (as sad as it is to say); at least at this point in time. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This makes sense. Really, it's hard to say what the reason is without drilling down into the data a little more. Besides, like O-dub pointed out, this was not a massive defection of gays to the GOP, at 70% they out represented almost every other group except Liberals, Democrats, Blacks, the very poor, and non-christians. I'm sure academic blog postings are forthcoming.b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21P.S. Anytime someone makes a Simpsons reference it makes my day - I'm a HUGE nerd.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21purely anecdotal, but I know a lot of G/L folks that were riding hard for teh Hillary. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'd say "How is this anecdote of yours at all related to the discussion at hand?" but this is a time for celebration, not bickering./b1 b, 21b, 21h, 21

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ehh.gif" alt="" 21

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Minus his emotions. What part do you think is eh?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Minus his emotions. What part do you think is eh? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Most of the arguments on both sides of prop 8 are kinda weak...Without going into detail about my vote i'll just say i respect both sides on this issue and it's probably best if everyone just move on.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    That's code for "I voted yes but I don't want to argue about it."

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21That's code for "I voted yes but I don't want to argue about it." b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that's what it sounds like to me.b, 21b, 21but hey, secret ballot.