*OFFICIAL STRUT NBA '08-'09 Grit Grime Edition*

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Gerald Wallace deserved a spot.

• Gerald Wallace deserved a spot.

You may be right, but who would you replace with Wallace? Shaq seems like the weakest pick on the West all-stars to me, but he is the only back-up center.

Gerald Wallace deserved a spot.

You may be right, but who would you replace with Wallace? Shaq seems like the weakest pick on the West all-stars to me, but he is the only back-up center.

That's tough for sure....I'd probably say West, who is having a better year than Wallace, but New Orleans has a rep and I believe in including as many teams as possible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nelson is having a career year.

But Mo is on a team w/ the "better" record.

• Several coaches stated that this year their all-star choices would take team record into account. So not so many "best player on a crap team" type players. Thus, no Al Jefferson or Kevin Durant. But Williams and Nelson is pretty much a push as far as I'm concerned.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I was kinda feelin' the addition of C-Webb and Payton to the TNT NBA postgame show. Especially when they got into that whole "Which player would you rather have?" thing with a guy from today versus a guy from their era.

Amare Stoudemire or Shawn Kemp?

Dirk Nowitzski or Tom Chambers?

Nate Robinson or Muggsy Bogues?

I could do shit like that all day. (BTW, my answers for the above 3: Kemp, Chambers, and, in pretty much a toss-up, Nate Robinson)

Dirk Nowitzski or Tom Chambers?

Nate Robinson or Muggsy Bogues?

I could do shit like that all day. (BTW, my answers for the above 3: Kemp, Chambers, and, in pretty much a toss-up, Nate Robinson)

Insane crazy talk

Amare
    Dirk
    Nate

Not even close and I'm an "old school" guy

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    kemp relied on the jumpshot when there were no other options. amare has settled into taking the jumpshot.

there were at least three times last night when he went for a jumpshot while guarded solo by matt bonner. matt f*cking bonner.

When Amare shows me a game like Kemp's in the Finals against the Bulls, ill change my stance.

In picking Muggsy over Robinson, C-Webb made an interesting point: "I saw Muggsy terrorize all of my guards. I had to set more picks on him than on anybody else--he really messed up the flow of the offense because he was always up under our point guard."

I admit that part of the reason I picked Kemp over Amare is Amare's attitude (Payton was absolutely adamant that Kemp > Amare, but you can probably chalk that up to homerism on GP's part). Similarly, I picked Chambers because that dude was mean and aggressive whereas Dirk, skilled as he is, is mostly soft.

What about:

Michael Redd vs. Dell Curry

Richard Hamilton vs. Mitch Richmond

Buck Williams vs. Carlos Boozer

Dork was the MVP. Chambers was the All-Star Game MVP.

re: cwebb and payton added to the tnt broadcast-- i'll take cwebb, who has become less nervous on camera (the beginning of the season was painful to watch) but payton fusks it all up.

In picking Muggsy over Robinson, C-Webb made an interesting point: "I saw Muggsy terrorize all of my guards. I had to set more picks on him than on anybody else--he really messed up the flow of the offense because he was always up under our point guard."

I admit that part of the reason I picked Kemp over Amare is Amare's attitude (Payton was absolutely adamant that Kemp > Amare, but you can probably chalk that up to homerism on GP's part). Similarly, I picked Chambers because that dude was mean and aggressive whereas Dirk, skilled as he is, is mostly soft.

What about:

Redd/Mitch/Williams

What about:

Redd/Mitch/Boozer[/b]
    i think boozer punishes people in the post more than williams ever did, and is a better scorer, but i'm not looking at the numbers, so i could be wrong.

What about:

Dirk being soft is about the biggest misconception in the NBA.

Redd / Curry draw
    Richmond
    Williams(But if Boozer has 4-5 good more years I'd swap)

Redd is more versitile than Curry. Curry didnt put it on the floor.

Williams is/(was) the NETS all-time Rebounder. And like Rock said Boozer needs another decade.

Buck played for a long time and was still effective in Portland.

Dirk being soft is about the biggest misconception in the NBA.
    i'd say j.r. smith being unreliable is a bigger misconception.
    dirk ain't soft, but his physical build leads the nba fan to believe that he should be a far greater physical presence than he is. (which is a nice way of saying that he's pretty soft.)

Redd is more versitile than Curry. Curry didnt put it on the floor.

You're right....I'll go with Redd

i like this quote and this metric of gauging a career. i will add to this list:

Nice, but came over here after his peak years.

yeah, but had a great overall career internationally. dude was legendary in the soviet league. i liked watching his later portland games and thinking "who is that oversized accountant on the court?... oh yeah... sabonis!!"

Man...if this guy had played in the NBA in his prime instead of toward the end of his career, he would've been un-fu[/b]cking-believable.

I also choose Redd over Dell Curry, but I will say that I saw Curry routinely make shots that, by all accounts, he shouldn't have been been able to get off without getting swatted. Sometimes his catch-and-shoot threes looked like touch passes that went in the hoop.

Mugsy is a better defender and decision maker than Nate.

it's ok. you can just say he was smarter than nate. because he was.

As much as NY dudes and little kids love Nate he's not a PG that takes u over the top.

Swap him w/ Rodney Stuckey in Detroit and see how their Offense stutters.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The Allstar Reserves looks about right. I'm glad Pau made the cut. The dude is a gawdamn workhorse. KB once told a reporter, "Well PAU is one of the best in the world too!" TRUE.

ON THE SUBJECT OF PAU GASOL.

Is he one of the great power forwards/centers in the league right now?

I say yes. His mid-range is money. His post-up game is like Duncan's. He passes the rock real well. Court recognition excellent. AND he's actually hitting the weights now. He obviously doesn't have the athleticism of Amare or Dwight Howard or Josh Smith, but he makes up for it in all the other categories. What say you?

The Allstar Reserves looks about right. I'm glad Pau made the cut. The dude is a gawdamn workhorse. KB once told a reporter, "Well PAU is one of the best in the world too!" TRUE.

I say yes. His mid-range is money. His post-up game is like Duncan's. He passes the rock real well. Court recognition excellent. AND he's actually hitting the weights now. He obviously doesn't have the athleticism of Amare or Dwight Howard or Josh Smith, but he makes up for it in all the other categories. What say you?

Gasol is very good, but he's not Great. Garnett and Wallace are GREAT PF.

Was he great on his previous team or he's good in the context of playing w/ K.O.B.E./Jackson/Winning Culture? He fits well into the triange.

Where is Bynum? He's been off the hype radar for minute.

The Lakers are doin well and their still not healthy.

Gasol is very good, but he's not Great. Garnett and Wallace are GREAT PF.

Was he great on his previous team or he's good in the context of playing w/ K.O.B.E./Jackson/Winning Culture? He fits well into the triange.

The Lakers are doin well and their still not healthy.

It's hard to differentiate between PF and Center these days....Wallace as in Ben?

He was very good on his previous team. Think of "excellent playback" on a VG minus team. Established on the international scene. One of the front-runners of the Spanish invasion (Rudy Fernandez, Juan Carlos Navarro, Jose Calderon, Marc Gasol). I mean his low-post game is just about as good as TD's. Nothing explosive, just puts the ball through the rim on 54% or something...That's great.

Bynum is quietly having a good year again, getting 14/9/2blocks. He's having bursts of scoring every now and then too, which is a good sign. He dropped 27 the other night.

LA is doing aiite. Boston is still the team to beat though.

he's busy breaking ribs and puncturing lungs to make up for the fact that he is occasionally too slow to try to block a shot.
    that was a dirty foul.
    b/w
    blatant yuki baiting.

he's busy breaking ribs and puncturing lungs to make up for the fact that he is occasionally too slow to try to block a shot.

that was a dirty foul.
    b/w
    blatant yuki baiting.

dirty foul? lol I'm not aware actually.
    Not that I really care.