The Soulstrut MP3 trading club (FS/Serato Related)

Comments

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts
    im in send me a pm with details

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I'm in as well...great idea!

SG

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This sounds good. Especially for us mac users who can't easily do the soulseek thing.
    money & uploads would be fine.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm in. Good quality rips are hard to come by.

- spidey

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    This sounds good. Especially for us mac users who can't easily do the soulseek thing.
    money & uploads would be fine.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    ahh i see.

i have a question though (an as im picking up the numark cdx in the near future, so this thread will be relevant to me) but are you guys talking primarily of ripping records only or are cds allowed too? cause i ain't really got records, but i got various dub/ska/trojan ish on cds. so i was wondering? is that cool if its CDs ripped 192 + > ? i'd definitely be down if so, if not, i understand.

• I'm in, got a good percentage of my vinyl ripped to 256k mp3 already...

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i already did 126GB...still goin' strong.lol.

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Ok, so, Im just checking into the logistics of a server, and am taking everyones ideas into account here.
    I agree on the high rate rips, and think that while there should be a level of exclusivity, anyone who wants to contribute should be able to have access, whether by donation or by contributing materials. I would assume that it makes the most sense to setup a private server, with some type encrypted login, secure and with a writing privilege in a public directory. I also think that it makes sense for people to do extesive tags on the rips, Artist, LP, Label, Song.

Also, Im not the most technologically inclined person out here, some of you guys have already emailed me personally with experience... if anyone feels upto the task of actually dedicating thier fileserver for such and endeavour, it would just be a matter of setting up a dedicated line for the box.

Anyways... Im gonna email you guys about that stuff personally, and in the meanwhile lets keep bouncing ideas.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    whatever, I just wanna be in on the deal!!!

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Also, I dont wanna feel like this is something I am doing, or like I am stepping on toes by suggesting this whole thing....

RAJ? you got some insite for a soulstrut community sanctioned fileserver? I know that Soulstrut already takes donations, so perhaps if there is a donation system to run the server, it can somehow be done with soulstrut as a parent server / board? Like, perhaps anyone that pays the membership to the server has access to a hidden directory on the SS forum, while the files upped could be discussed, but not in the view of general public, justifying a percentage of the bandwidth hosts the SS site?

Anyways, just throwing around ideas...
    Talk!

Silvertone.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    im thinking before we go further we should take this to a yahoogroups or something to keep it on the low? soulstrut is very public... maybe im being paranoid

• Count me in!

im thinking before we go further we should take this to a yahoogroups or something to keep it on the low? soulstrut is very public... maybe im being paranoid

the plan is public, but the actual thing would be a passworded server

I can't host a box anymore...but i can help you running it.
    At least, if you need infos about rules of regulations, security, taggin' stuffs, all types of shit. Just write me at [email]fmp.mad@noos.fr[/email]

I already have a few people that you may like to have onboard...

• Folks, we just need our own bittorrent tracker then everything should be sweet.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Risk Assessment: Could any artists / corps leap out of way back when, demand to see what is being hosted, and then for the combo, sue the shit out of soulstrut / server owner for copyright infringement or unauthorized hosting of raers?

Jus sayin.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    a bittorent tracker for something of this scale would not be effective
    you need 1000 plus to get that shit going

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    another option is to do a sort of cd exchange club, except your filling a 700 mb cd with high quality mp3 rips.

• can I please play?

• autezautez 404 Posts
    im down for all of this.. yea bittorrents not gonna work for this

the point should not be to have a LOT of people onboard anyway...i'd say 100 peaople max. The y'all will see if its gotta be taken further...box is expensive too, never forget that.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I'd like in as well and I can help out if needed with running the server. I used to run a massive FTP server with RedHat Linux and know my way around a bit.

We should also ask for donations so whomever is hosting (hopefully with a nice connection) can use the money and buy hard drives. I was running my old server on a 486 processor with close to 800 gigs with a lot coming from donations. Got shut down by my school and got rid of everything though.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    If it's gonna happen I'd be glad to be in it. I'm also just in the progress of ripping all my vinyl. I'll keep it in 24/44.1 wav (for samples and edits) but also make mp3s of it.

• ernern 2 Posts
    Hi,
    Just heard of this site and I would definitely love to be a part of this. I could contribute and 5 bucks a month is cool. A hub of rarities would be fresh!

• I'm down to donate in $ what I don't have in raers. Let me know when something goes down.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Personally, what I'd really like to see would be the equivalent of a Daily Ish rather than just a ton of songs thrown up for public consumption, divorced of any content or context. I'm not shitting on this idea in principle...it's just that I personally don't buy records just to rip them to MP3 and then share it with anyone who's down to pay $5 to access it. When I do share music, it comes with something added - a description, some history, whatever. I probably sound hella old school with all this but if this is going to have the Soulstrut Stamp of Approval on it, I think it should live up to the site's standards of being a forum for education and information. We don't need to be a glorified Soulseek.

We're SoulStrut damnit!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I'm not shitting on this idea in principle...it's just that I personally don't buy records just to rip them to MP3 and then share it with anyone who's down to pay $5 to access it.

I agree.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Let me just add that this is probably a reflection of a generation gap. The kind of folks I grew up looking up at as collectors were far closer to the "I bleach my labels so trainspotters can't jack my shit" school of thought vs. the "let's share everything" mentality of today's digital crowd. I know a lot of older cats probably think it's crazy and/or stupid that I run an MP3 blog where I'm basically giving away songs (albeit, not at 256) that I've either spent a lot of time (and usually) money acquiring but to me, Mp3 blogging was always an extension of hosting a radio show or another kind of public forum where you can put out some compelling sounds for consumption.

There's no hard and fast rules to how you do this - everything is in shades of gray. I can't quite explain why I think a Daily Ish would be fine whereas a private server filled with 100s of songs feels wrong to me. Maybe it's the old "paying dues" mentality which is, of course, rather elitist but no one said collecting was that democratic.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Let me just add that this is probably a reflection of a generation gap. The kind of folks I grew up looking up at as collectors were far closer to the "I bleach my labels so trainspotters can't jack my shit" school of thought vs. the "let's share everything" mentality of today's digital crowd. I know a lot of older cats probably think it's crazy and/or stupid that I run an MP3 blog where I'm basically giving away songs (albeit, not at 256) that I've either spent a lot of time (and usually) money acquiring but to me, Mp3 blogging was always an extension of hosting a radio show or another kind of public forum where you can put out some compelling sounds for consumption.

There's no hard and fast rules to how you do this - everything is in shades of gray. I can't quite explain why I think a Daily Ish would be fine whereas a private server filled with 100s of songs feels wrong to me. Maybe it's the old "paying dues" mentality which is, of course, rather elitist but no one said collecting was that democratic.

I agree with you in that soulstrut isnt really the place for that. But really, whats stopping anybody from just making a thread with some yousendit links and posting some jpegs and doing that shit right now! WHats this pay service nonsense, just do it!

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    NO PAY SERVICE!

I don't know who stated that it would cost a monthly fee. My suggestion was that whomever hosts the computer shouldn't have to buy all this extra stuff on the count that he's the host. Every one of us could throw some money in to buy hard drives or something and that would be it. No monthly payments.